Do you camp with dogs?

Comments

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491

I finally brought Reggie with me in September. He did well, but missed his brother who missed him terribly. Ryan does fine for about five minutes then he’s done with it. Plus he’s the daughters
    comfort animal. Reggie’s a good little traveler though!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • PJ123PJ123 Member Posts: 41
      Well now, who dosen't?  Wouldn't THINK of leaving our two black mini poods behind!  Beaux (Southern Louisiana spelling for "BOE") male and Zeaux (same for "ZOE") the female. They are a "must" for the camping experience....The kids now?.....hmmmm.
      O.K.!! Just kidding about the kids(?) The poodles are experienced camping pooches and give a whole different prospective to the trip (from the ground up, so to speak). Yes, they are family and without them the family wouldn't be complete.
    Pete & Jeanne 2019 T@B red and grey 400 Boondock Lite..TV 2015 Nissan Frontier, Southern Louisiana
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @PJ123, alas, there was a time when my tri-pawed dog (3 legs) couldn't camp with me. It was too hard for him to get into the T@B (he hated the ramp). He was also a large Golden Retriever and didn't want to get on the bed, so he occupied most of the floor space the way he slept. Poor old man. I miss him. 

Meanwhile... my life is revolving around a 9 week puppy who is passed out on the floor after playing in the snow.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity, Enjoy your new little guy!!! I'm sure he'll bring 'ya lots of happiness! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Ratkity said:
    @PJ123, alas, there was a time when my tri-pawed dog (3 legs) couldn't camp with me. It was too hard for him to get into the T@B (he hated the ramp). He was also a large Golden Retriever and didn't want to get on the bed, so he occupied most of the floor space the way he slept. Poor old man. I miss him. 

Meanwhile... my life is revolving around a 9 week puppy who is passed out on the floor after playing in the snow.
    Yeah,... I'm going to need pictures of your puppy.  :)
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    P.S.

8 weeks - 12 lbs 3 oz
    9 weeks - 14 lbs 6 oz
    9.5 weeks (at vet) - 15 lb 12 oz
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Oh my goodness, such a cute puppy!
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Lookin just a little askance at you, so, what's up your sleeve there mama? In the cutest way imaginable.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

@Ratkity, What a cute lil feller!!! He has that wazzup look on his face! Makes me heart smile you have such a fantastic new companion. :) What kind of training will you be having him go through? I noticed the "service dog" vest....service dog training? At the rate he's growin', well trained will be a good thing. ;) My 1/2 Wolf, 1/2 Shepard weighed out at about 130 lbs. I trained him using hand signals & whistles. Extremely smart animal. Livin' on 5 acres of property at the time, the whistles came in REAL handy when I couldn't see him, or he decided it was a good time to chase deer. :o Sure do miss that old guy! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

@ericnliz, he's going to be a service dog. I have a trainer set up. Pop is from working dog stock and not show dog breeders. I was on a waiting list for him. The doggie mama didn't get pregnant for spring pups and this was the last litter she was going to be allowed to have (she's 5 yrs old). I think I made the list cuz no one in their right mind would house-break a puppy when the wind chill is -8F and tomorrow night it'll be 3F (no word on the wind).

Silly pup likes to eat snow! Ugh. I have to stop him because he'll get a tummy ache and get the chills. Then he gets the hiccups. I've never had a dog get the hiccups like he does. 

The mama, daddy, grandma and half sister was at the farm where he was born and raised. The guy that breeds the German Shepherds is a veterinarian, so you know they are great, well-cared for doggies. 

BTW, the cat is not amused by the puppy! LOL. 
    P.S. Dejalo means "Quit it"  (or leave it), in Spanish.
  • nolagringanolagringa Member Posts: 25
    @ericnliz - did you find 5 acres was enough for your dog?  I'm thinking of getting a parcel of land to take the T@b and Catahoula to, to let her run around without having to worry about campground manners. 
    So @Ratkity, what command do you use when you want him to drop something, or ignore something? We use leave it for that. Or will you only use English Leave it for those types of commands. Obviously, I think he must think in both Spanish and English! :rofl:

edited January 2018
    @nolagringa, Five acres was plenty for him as far as property. My nearest neighbor was about 3/4 of a mile away. There was a huge open field he would run in. All I had to do was say "go play" & he was off to the races! One special whistle & he'd come running back & sit right beside me & look at me like "I wasn't done yet". I had to keep him on a long lead during the day while I was working on the property because he REALLY liked chasing deer & there were lots of them. I learned that one the hard way when one day I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing, only to look up & see him & the deer cresting a hill at the opposite end of the property. :o Fortunately he came right back when I whistled. I decided I would keep him restrained when I was busy, rather than taking the chance of him actually catching one. After all, he was part wolf, & the instincts were pretty embedded. Besides, I liked watching the deer too. :)
    I know what you mean about campground manners. Actually the Shepard had better manners than the 1/2 Sheltie, 1/2 Shepard Liz & I had. She liked to bark & was REALLY protective of our camp "space". Kids, no problem, women, usually not a problem.....drunken wandering men...no tolerance at all. I'd usually find two trees, tie a ski rope between the two, snap on a lanyard, and put a leash from that to her harness. Gave her room to roam around, be by us, find shade when needed, & keep her under control when the rif-raf wandered in. ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• nolagringanolagringa Member Posts: 25
    @ericnliz - thanks so much, that's very helpful!  My Catahoula is a Catahooligan and VERY protective of me and our space and just generally doesn't have good manners, so this will be our challenge.  She's more belligerent than aggressive, and not everyone appreciates her obnoxious enthusiasm. 

Am getting her accustomed to the T@b while it's parked in the carport - finally let her come in and get up for the first time and she just curled right up to take a nap. Hopefully this will be good for us!  She hates tent camping. 
    Twojgrams said:
    So @Ratkity, what command do you use when you want him to drop something, or ignore something? We use leave it for that. Or will you only use English Leave it for those types of commands. Obviously, I think he must think in both Spanish and English! :rofl:
    LOL @Twojgrams! English.. except a few Spanish ones come out. Funny, I'm not very fluent in Spanish. As long as he does what I want him to do, I don't care what word works. I used to use "Drop it" (English) for the Goldens. They frequently picked up dead squirrels (I refused to believe they killed them). I had to make them "Drop It" before they brought the *Gray Fuzzy* into the house. They had toys that I called "Fuzzies". They were usually off-white and washable.
    HMMMM... @Ratkity, I can only assume that these weren't of the striped kitty origin....PEW!!!!
    Spokane, Wa.

@Ratkity Great! Give me an ear worm over the image of absentmindedly throwing a dead squirrel in the washing machine. Dancin in the moonlight dancin in the moonlight dancin in the moonlight :not_listening:

No black kittehs with white stripes!! That said, my neighbor's yellow lab had an encounter with one while he was hiking somewhere. OMG. No matter what he used, that dog still smelled when she got wet. She didn't smell while dry. He used every remedy and all products that were available in the early nineties. I always slowly back away when I see them types of kittehs!! LOL.
    edited January 2018
    I'll bump this thread back up with a picture of Willard the Standard Poodle puppy from last weekend. 

He seems to like snow and being outside, so we are hoping he will be a great addition to our camping family.

He's growing fast too! 

Twojgrams said:
    He's growing fast too! 

He will probably put on 1-1.5 lb a week for a while.  He will not be tiny long!  The vet thought he was a little bony, so he will be getting plenty of kibble. 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Sadly, Rocky will have to sit this year's trip out. We are going to too many places with no dogs allowed or not smart to bring tiny dogs. So, it would be a lot of sitting in the car or T@b. He will have a much better time at my brother's house playing with his favorite pal and fellow Shih Tzu, Mr. Bingley.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Aww jenn. I know he'll miss you even though his buddy and him will be double trouble! 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Ratkity said:
    Ya remember dat cute leetle puppy? He's growing just like @rkj__'s standard poodle!! Mine loves the snow too. We haven't had a lot, but that dog has eaten his weight in snow balls! 

This cute innocent pup (on right) went to .... SNOW PLOW (Jan17) and then.... Monster Pup who tries to drive-by nip (Jan18) - his ears are starting to stand up.

THIS!

Adorbs!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

BTW, he was about to start talking and "air" nipping to tell me he needed my complete attention RIGHT NOW! 

"Put down the phone, Mom! There's snow out there to turn yellow! White snow to be eaten!! AND SQUIRRELS!"
    rkj__ said:
    I'll bump this thread back up with a picture of Willard the Standard Poodle puppy from last weekend. 

He seems to like snow and being outside, so we are hoping he will be a great addition to our camping family.

Does he really have white on him or is that pure snow? His tracks look like a huge bunny hopped in the snow lol. CUTE!!!