Options

For Every Ledge There's a Purpose

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
edited January 2015 in Tips & Tricks
Now that I'm in warmer temps I'm ready to fire up the onboard water but since I boondock a lot you can never have enough water. I was hauling two 2.5gal jugs set on the shower floor but they'd need to be removed if I wanted to use the facilities. But, but, what's that little ledge on the outside wall doing there just wasting space and forlornly looking for a purpose. Ahhhhh, smaller water jugs (see pic).
Command picture hanger velcrow on the backsides seem to hold them fairly tightly against the sidewall. May have to add a bungie across the front - will see how they hold while traveling.

Comments

• Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    I try to use my bathroom even when dry camping. I use that ledge to hold my slim Rubbermaid bottle as a urinal snd a small box to hold the walmart bags that I line my toilet for " bigger jobs"...I triple bag and then dispose of. Small wipes travel box sits there nicely also. Works for me and I can remain self contained even dry camping.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited January 2015
    Pxlated I like the look of those water jugs. 5 gallons is a but too much weight for me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Each of those are 1.25gal. - Cheapies from Walmart
  • Options
    Even better. Been using a 5 gal Scepter.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Are they stick up paper towel holders I see between them?

• Options
    Jenn - Nope. you're probably seeing the white filler caps. They're stuck to the sidewall using Command strips meant for picture hanging. They're kind of like velcro but both pieces are made of plastic so no problem if they get wet. (see attached) - They feel tight enough to hold but we'll see if they're strong enough to withstand the road. 
    Walloe - That's also an option.
  • Options
    PXLated I had not seen those command strips.  Nice. Would be perfect for the clock I hang up at every stop. Thanks for posting the pictures.

• Options
    I'd never seen those before either - Got those at Home Depot.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2015
    PXLated said:
    what's that little ledge on the outside wall doing there just wasting space and forlornly looking for a purpose. Ahhhhh, smaller water jugs 
    PXL,

Those jugs look perfect. Might even grab a few more for the back of the pickup.

We've been using maple syrup bottles. Easier to pack square bottles.

Thanks for sharing.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Walloe - Happened by a Bed/Bath/Beyond today so picked up a curtain rod as you suggested. - Might as well double up the holders. I might not be anywhere close to anything to get the rod if the strips didn't work by themselves.
  • Options
    So much for plan A (velcro) and plan B (curtain rod).
    Traveled 100 miles and found this when setting up (see pic).
    Gonna try a couple of hooks and a bungie cord - or figure out how to hold the curtain rod in place - obviously the tension alone didn't do it.
  • Options
    Thanks for following up, though!

• Options
    Walloe - The one I have has a screw that allows you to increase the tension. I'm going to try to get that tighter but to a certain degree I think the shower walls are too smooth to really get a grip. You've got 20-25 pounds your trying to hold against the wall.
    I'm determined to get them to stay on the ledge. I just hate having to move things around when traveling :-)
  • Options
    Well, I really wedged the rod in there - probably a little too much as it's flexing the wallboard - but it worked. Traveled the same road/distance and everything remained in place. Now I just need to find the sweet spot for the tension adjustment.
  • Options
    Walloe - Good suggestion - First I'm going to back off the tension. If it really needs it that tight, think I'll look for a piece of plastic - something water resistant.
  • Options
    I found a standard expandable curtain holds the jugs in place pretty well as long as you travel smooth roads but if you hit the boonies and bumps you just can't get the rod tight enough to hold without bending the walls so I added a couple of curtain rod rings - Just attached them with 3M Command strips (had to double the thickness to allow for the cavity on the back. Everything's held tight since I added these.

• Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    PXLated PostJanuary 2015 edited January 2015 in Tips & TricksNow that I'm in warmer temps I'm ready to fire up the onboard water but since I boondock a lot you can never have enough water. I was hauling two 2.5gal jugs set on the shower floor but they'd need to be removed if I wanted to use the facilities. But, but, what's that little ledge on the outside wall doing there just wasting space and forlornly looking for a purpose. Ahhhhh, smaller water jugs (see pic).
    Command picture hanger velcrow on the backsides seem to hold them fairly tightly against the sidewall. May have to add a bungie across the front - will see how they hold while traveling.

Just wondering if this is still working for you? Thank You

Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/