Options

Keeping heat on Alde during winter

I have a 2017 Tab Outback. I winterized it and then thought I would try keeping some heat in it for the winter. I just hooked up to shore power and turned the thermostat down to lowest setting (41). I also have a meter that just plugs into the outlet so I can see how much that item is costing me. I know Northern Michigan has not begun to see cold weather yet but the way I calculate the cost I believe it might run maybe 15.00 to 20.00 for the coldest months. When the sun comes out it will warm up inside to around 50. My idea in doing this is to keep things at above freezing which should help with moisture, things shrinking and expanding etc. I also pull the battery and keep it hooked up to a battery tender. Has anyone ever tried this and have comments.
2017 Outback, TV is now a 2018 Ram Eco Diesel

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We did that for a month or so here and there a few winters. But we stopped. Now we might warm it up a time or two for a day to have coffee and dominoes.

I heard an 'urban myth' that rodents are actually attracted to heated things (makes sense!), and that they find entry points via heat leaking out.

We've found no moisture problems overwintering our Tab unheated, outdoors, here in WNY. We (and you?) have pretty dry winter air, which might be the difference. Maybe those in the milder climates are where the moisture problems come in.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I keep mine heated thru the whole winter because I like to hang out in it at random times.  It does impact the electric bill when the temps stay cold, but as long as the sun comes out, the camper usually heats up above 60* during the day.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.