towing packages on vehicles

We're wanting to upgrade our TV. We have a 2017 T@B 320 S Max Outback and a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan with 90,000 miles on it. The van pulls our trailer just fine, but we are worrying that we are risking the transmission going out. It's rated for 3500 lbs., and we put most of our supplies in the van. Also, we would like to upgrade to a larger trailer in the next year or two, probably a 400 or LG Max, so we want something that is rated higher than 3500. Another factor is the small garage in our 1950's house. We would consider a full-size pickup but it won't go in our garage, so we've narrowed it down to a mid-size pickup, double cab and short bed. We want a pickup so that we can still put our supplies in the back, and also because we would like it to keep it for a long time. We are going to buy used, probably 2015 or 2016. I've been seeing mention of "tow packages" in this forum, but so far I've only found one complete tow package and that's on the Toyota Tacoma, so right now it's in first place. The Toyota tow package is as follows: "It includes a class IV receiver hitch with the trailer wiring but most importantly it includes a transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, 130 amp alternator and heavy duty battery. With the tow package, the Tacoma can tow as much as 6,500 pounds." I can't find anything like this with any other companies. Is anyone aware of other companies that have a similar towing package? Also, does anyone have a recommendation for other similar vehicles to check out while we're trying to decide? We did look at the Chevy Colorado, but the tow package is just receiver and wiring harness. The turbo diesel is what increases its towing capacity and our diesel mechanic son put the kibosh on that. Any info will be appreciated!

Gail & John 

Comments

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    All V6 Colorados have oil and transmission coolers, and a tow/haul mode.  If you get the tow, package, it does simply add the trailer hitch, to the already capable truck.  They don't handicap the trucks without the tow package.  All Colorados with the tow package also have a locking rear differential.  The max tow rating exceeds that of the Tacoma.  The 2017 and newer trucks also have a nice 8 speed transmission, vs the 6 speed in the Tacoma. 

Do a little more research on the Colorado and Canyon, then take it for a test drive, before ruling it out. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    @rkj__, thanks for the info! Duh, after reading this I decided to look at the owner's manual for the Colorado and you're correct. The 3.6 liter v6 is rated for 7,000 lbs. This is great news, as the Colorado was the one we were leaning toward initially. We did drive one yesterday and liked it. Back to more research, thanks again!

Gail & John 

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ask @Ratkity about her Colorado, and/or search for Colorado. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The GMC Canyon is the cousin of the Chevy Colorado. As far as mechanics, I consider them the same. That V6 can tow! One of the things I love is that there is real-time information on transmission temp, oil pressure, engine temp on the info screen. Say g'bye to the idiot gauges. The towing pkg (in tow mode) prevents the transmission from shifting up or down too soon as to lag the engine. I have a 2015 Canyon. I'm sure things have improved immensely since then (how, I don't know, but there's a Colorado/Canyon Fans forum).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Thanks @Verna! @Ratkity, we're looking at 2015's so this is helpful info. Good to know about the info on the screen. We're looking again at the Colorado, and possibly the Canyon though my understanding is that they are pricier.

Gail & John 

@Ratkity, @rkj__, my understanding from the owner's manual on the Colorado is that there is a blue wire in the wiring harness for the trailer brakes, but there is not an integrated brake controller. Therefore, if we don't see a brake controller under the dash we will need to add that after purchase. Correct?

Gail & John 

edited January 2018
    @Ratkity, @rkj__, my understanding from the owner's manual on the Colorado is that there is a blue wire in the wiring harness for the trailer brakes, but there is not an integrated brake controller. Therefore, if we don't see a brake controller under the dash we will need to add that after purchase. Correct?

There is a brake controller available from the factory.  I'm not sure if it is now standard with the tow package or not.  It may or may not be a standalone option, or tied to trim levels.  I know it was not available on 2015 V6 trucks.  The brake controller looks like this:

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/134074991+re0+ar0+st0/2016-colorado-canyon-diesel-trailer-brake-controller.jpg

In 2017, the Canyon and Colorado got a new V6 engine, and 8 speed transmission, instead of the 6 speed in the 2015-2016.  The horsepower and torque ratings are very similar to the 2015 & 2016 trucks, and the displacement is the same, at 3.6L.  However, there are numerous changes, and new features like cylinder deactivation.  Although the numbers are very comparable, drivers seem to report that the 8 speed transmission tuning is much better than the tuning of the 6 speed, and the truck feels quicker and more responsive. 

I've test driven a 2015, and a 2017.  I thought they both drove well.  I have not towed with either though.  I hang out at Colorado Fans a lot, so may be able to answer more questions if you have them.

I have a 2008 GMC Canyon, which is totally different from the 2015+ models, but I am a big fan of midsize pickups.  I intend to buy a newer (2015+) Colorado or Canyon as my next truck.

@GailandJohn, my 2015 did not come with an integrated brake controller. Installing one was easy.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @GailandJohn I am surprise don’t that your son put the kabash on the diesel, that is unless he knows of something inherent to that of the TD in the Colorado.  Diesels PULL like Clydesdales! They have far greater torque then gas engines and will get far better fuel economy as well.  I have a 3.0L in my Jeep GC and it pulls the t@b like some it is not even there.  Added to that I got 20 mpg on our last trip.  30 mpg without the trailer...FYI...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    edited July 2018
    Thanks @4ncar, yes he would agree with you, and that's why we asked him about it, because John was sure that's what he wanted. However, he said that he has been rebuilding more engines lately, caused by bad fuel in Texas and Oklahoma. Also, maintenance is frequent in order to prevent repairs and repairs are costly when they do happen. We're getting rid of the van because we don't want to have to worry about the transmission going out, and we don't want to worry about stuff killing the diesel engine and causing a big repair bill. The 7,000 lb towing capacity of the 2.6L v6 Colorado will be plenty for us. We're going to see a 2015 today that has the heavy duty trailer package on it.

Gail & John 

• RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    You might want to print out a copy of the RPO codes and confirm the option list that's inside the glove box yourself. Since you are looking at used you can't believe anything the salesman tells you.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited January 2018
    I found one story on the web about "bad fuel" (too much ethanol) being delivered to Oklahoma City stations back in 2016.  None of them mention diesel.  Good luck with whatever car you buy, but don't exclude the diesel because of "anecdotal" evidence.  If bad diesel had been that big of an issue, the trucking industry would have a fit.

PS:  That is not to say your son hasn't done more work recently on diesels!  Stuff happens to a car no matter what engine.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    Well we made our choice and found this 2016 Chevy Colorado. It has 20,000 miles and is certified GM pre-owned, so it has an extra warranty on top of what's left on the original warranty. AND....it matches our T@B! That was more important to me than it was to John.

Gail & John 

Congratulations on the new truck.  I hope it serves you well. 
    Congratz @GailandJohn!! I have the 2015 GM Canyon (with 15k miles - owned by a little old lady who only tows her Harley to campgrounds)
    Thanks @rkj__ and @Ratkity, it has a hitch, wiring harness and 7-pin plug but not a brake controller. We already had a Tekonsha Primus IQ and have been doing a lot of research on installation, so we're going to install it ourselves tomorrow. Should be pretty easy, no getting under the vehicle. However, the Colorado doesn't come with a plug like some vehicles, so we'll have to connect wires.

Gail & John 

Thanks @rkj__ and @Ratkity, it has a hitch, wiring harness and 7-pin plug but not a brake controller. We already had a Tekonsha Primus IQ and have been doing a lot of research on installation, so we're going to install it ourselves tomorrow. Should be pretty easy, no getting under the vehicle. However, the Colorado doesn't come with a plug like some vehicles, so we'll have to connect wires.
    If you have not seen it already, etrailer has a good installation video.  

https://youtu.be/LmVjQhlcO88

@rkj__ Thanks, yes a 2015 and ours is a 2016 but I think they're the same, from what I've read. 

Gail & John 

Even my Rav4 had the "towing package" which did NOT include the 7 pin or harness. The connect wires were behind the driver's side kick panel. It's a common place to put it. 
    Installed the Tekonsha brake controller today, no problems. The wires were under the driver's side kick panel as expected. The only problem was that the wires on the controller weren't long enough, so we had to add a longer piece of wire for each one. Of course, the real test comes when we hook up to the trailer. We're picking it up tomorrow and bringing it home so we can install the Fantastic fan upgrade. Hopefully it will be easy to adjust.

Gail & John