Options

Converter Delay?

Ran an extension cord out to my T@B today to do my monthly battery charge/maintenance.  I checked the battery's charge before plugging in, and it was at 12.6V.  I then connected to shore power, and the battery still checked at 12.6V.  This is a bit unusual because when the T@B is connected to shore power, the battery usually checks at about 13.7V.  As I was standing there scratching my head (about 30 seconds or so had elapsed) I heard a beep, and the voltage immediately jumped to 13.7V.  I assume the beep came from the converter.

Is there normally a delay in the converter when it is connected to shore power, or is something else going on?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Are you using a surge protector?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    edited January 2015
    Yes.  The one from Progressive Industries.  I plugged it in first, as I always do, and the readings were perfect before I connected the T@B to shore power, through the protector.  This is the same process I've always used, but I have never noticed the delay before.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options

I have noticed slight delays, but just a few seconds. That seems odd.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    That beep you hear is the exact moment the convertor itself receives power, so it sounds like the surge protector was taking its time before allowing the power to flow on. Perhaps the extension cord had a large amount of resistance or voltage drop?
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Wizard, thanks for your reply.  The surge protector has a digital readout that showed a steady 125V, 60Hz, and no error codes before I plugged the power supply cord in.  Your suggestion prompted me to do some more reading on the particular model I have, and it says if there is an interruption in power, there will be a two minute (?) delay before power is supplied again.  I'm thinking that maybe this delay may also be present when power is first connected.  The 30 seconds I mentioned above may well have been two minutes.  That was an estimate some time after the fact.  I have a 30A extension cord, but it is a rather long run.  I may hook it up again tomorrow to see if the same thing happens.  If so, the delay start in the surge protector may be the answer, not the converter.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options

Well, excuse the dummy (that would be me).  I decided to read the manual again for the surge protector.  It clearly states, "The EMS has a 136-second time delay before you will receive power into your RV."  So, if you have a surge protector from Progressive Industries, there will be a delay of 2:16 from the time you plug it in until you have shore power to the trailer.  I have plugged this thing in every time I've stopped for the night (several times), and have never noticed this delay before.  Looks like I have exposed my ignorance for the benefit of others' knowledge.  You're welcome. :s    This is the model I have.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Larry, my delay might be briefer because I have the permanent installed protector. Glad you figured it out!

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2015
    That delay that Progressive incorporates into their protectors is to give things like air conditioners and AC fridges time to 'reset' if there's unsteady power.

In our neighborhood, when the power goes down, it often will come back on only momentarily, before it comes back on steady. That on-off-on stuff is hard on these motor/compressor appliances, and on electronics.

Also, in a campground, when the power comes back on, there are a whole bunch of RVs that are all-at-once trying to get enough power to start their fridges etc. And it's often on a campground wiring system that's undersized. 

A big draw like that, from all those RVs, on undersized wiring, causes brownout conditions, ie: low voltage for everyone at the campground. Low voltage can be damaging to lots of electrical things, and can overheat/burn AC motors.

So Progressive, in their wisdom, delays your 'turn on' until the power is definitely clean. Pretty smart!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    And after reading this, I just purchased a Progressive for my rig...and I have personally experienced voltage drop from pedestal power... In a crowded RV park. Read a really good review on Amazon, comparing this one to the TRS brand, and I am sold.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was convinced by people's reviews too.

Their customer support sounds to be pretty responsive... And I think the warranty is 'lifetime', for surge damage.

I wrote them to see if the warranty would be voided if I opened mine up to put a longer cord on it. 

They responded pretty quickly with, "yes, of course it would be voided".

Oh well, I tried. ;-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Yeah, mine saved me last fall. Worth the money, for sure.

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    RZRBUG, Thank you for sharing your experience and adding to the wealth of information here.  Your information is timely for me and appreciated.  
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options

It was the first major purchase I made right after I got the T@B, knowing how unstable some power sources can be, especially in some of the older parks.

As for the long cord, there have been times when that would have certainly come in handy.  There have been a couple of configurations of pedestals that made it very difficult to use the surge suppressor.  Once I had to plug it in upside down.  Those pedestals are certainly not standardized, and I have found a couple that were just sort of cobbled together.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    You are welcome, Gil.  I sometimes feel like a lost ship without a sail, but what little experience I have, I am glad to share (even if it does sometimes make me look a little whacky--remember the question I asked about the frozen battery?).  I was so lost when I first got my T@B.  I had never camped except for staying in a tent with friends sometimes at a nearby lake on the weekends when I was much younger.  I certainly had never pulled a trailer.  If it had not been for this forum, and a couple of others, I would still be stumbling around.  I have made my share of mistakes, and learned from them, but I hate to think of some of the mistakes I would have made if I had not been forewarned by the experience of others.  I still have a lot to learn, but plan to enjoy it while I can.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    edited January 2015
    We ended up using a short 30A extension cord between the pedestal and the surge suppressor, and then we camouflage the Progressive with a bucket, so it's not so attractive to steal.

I think it hanging from the pedestal could be too much of an invitation.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Thanks, Chan.  That sounds like a reasonable solution, especially for those times when pedestal configuration makes the Progressive difficult to use.  Those times when I can, I still plug it directly into the pedestal and lock it, sometimes with a tab on the pedestal cover itself, and sometimes with a chain or cable.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Well my surge progressive arrived today...build quality seems very good...easy to setup and understand...like the real time info...my setup... 

• Options
    Found an old waterproof kayak bag and the Progresdive fits perfect with slit in end for pigtail. Maybe this will keep it from the elements and those who would take it.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ChanW said:
    That delay that Progressive incorporates into their protectors is to give things like air conditioners and AC fridges time to 'reset' if there's unsteady power.

In our neighborhood, when the power goes down, it often will come back on only momentarily, before it comes back on steady. That on-off-on stuff is hard on these motor/compressor appliances, and on electronics.

That little "on/off" action in your neighborhood circuit during storms, etc. is actually built in reclosing capability in the area's substation equipment or out on the line.  If the circuit senses a fault (e.g., a lightning strike, limb laying on the primary, animal short-circuited on a transformer, etc.) out on the line strong enough to operate the circuit recloser device it will trip once, then reclose again to either clear the problem from the circuit or trip again.  Normally the circuit will trip three times before going to lockout (requiring a line patrol, finding the problem and restoring power), depending on what the problem is out on a line.

But agree, there are times when there is too much "cold load" and some of these circuits cannot be switched back on without picking sections up incrementally to adjust to the large demand created by things like AC units, furnaces in cold weather, etc.  Little do most people know that their actions/purchases impact power demand over time with the addition of these appliances, etc. requiring upgrades to electrical devices, switch gear, transformers, etc.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ