Pitched Axle (?)

I've searched this forum and google, to no avail.  Can someone explain what the significance of the pitched axle is?

2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Bill_Cochrane I don't understand what a pitched axle is, much less it's significance. So I hope someone answers this because I've searched the web and come on discussions of splines, angle of pitch 30 degrees vs 45 degrees, stress, torsion, through hardening vs induction hardening, etc.. Perhaps the best bet would be to call Al-Ko, if that's the correct manufacturer of the T@B axles and ask them. I tried asking nüCamp but didn't push to speak with an engineer type person because I'm guessing I wouldn't understand the language being used and didn't want to waste anyone's time. All I was told was it provided higher ground clearance. But I'm not ashamed to waste forum members' time if anyone is up to the challenge of using simple English for me.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited September 2022
    In this thread from a couple of years ago, Hunter99 said: 

"The difference in the pitched axle over a standard one is the angle that the trailing arm is attached to the torsion bar that run through the axle. Think of it like a clock. Set it lower so when under load the trailer will sit higher."

I hope someone else can approximately explain that sentence....

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    Ok, thanks @pthomas745, I remember that sentence from @hunter99 which sent me down the world wide rabbit hole again  looking at diagrams, rereading it, trying to rearrange the words to make sense. It's ok, I withdraw my question and will take as gospel that a pitched axle is a good thing and will simply appreciate the fact that our Outback has one.  I can't speak for @Bill_Cochrane though, but hope he as enough grasp of auto mechanics to understand this. 

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Twojgrams said:
    Ok, thanks @pthomas745, I remember that sentence from @hunter99 which sent me down the world wide rabbit hole again  looking at diagrams, rereading it, trying to rearrange the words to make sense. It's ok, I withdraw my question and will take as gospel that a pitched axle is a good thing and will simply appreciate the fact that our Outback has one.  I can't speak for @Bill_Cochrane though, but hope he as enough grasp of auto mechanics to understand this. 
    More ground clearance is the big benefit. That and bitter tires gives you about 2-4" additional clearance.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Thanks @jkjenn That clearance actually comes in handy in driveways, especially our own.

Twojgrams said:
    Thanks @jkjenn That clearance actually comes in handy in driveways, especially our own.
    I had the pitched axle and larger tires added to my T@b for the clearance. It was completely worthwhile.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Some of the difference, the first one like mention is the angle of the trailing arm witch gives a couple more inch ( do not know how much exactly).  But it also come as a 2200 pounds axle and the cross member tube is also square instead of roundish and I beleive much thicker.

2200 pounds, mean bigger bearing, witch is good, much more durable in the long run.  But also bring a suspension that is much more stiff, creating a lot of bouncing Witch is not that good.

An other point, is the higher ground clearance brings more turbulence under the trailer and behind it, reducing or afecting aerodynamics, witch could afet drag and fuell efficiency.

one thing, I know for a fact that the T@G outback axle is rated at 2200 pounds, I saw my sticker, not sure about the regular T@G and even less knowladgable about the T@B's..

2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    I did not notice a difference in aerodynamics or fuel efficiency after the upgrade. It is a little stiffer, but the height, for me, outweighs the bounce 

• Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    edited January 2018
    Thanks all, this gives me a clearer understanding of the benefit (height) and potential cost ( bounce) of the technology.  To that end, for me the cost weights heavily on the benefit. I hate when the Outback bounces.  But, I do love the look and appreciate the clearance so I'm sure if I had to decide again it would be the Outback.  I refuse to say, "Boondock".  Mine is and always will be an Outback :) 
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Btw, you can mod what you have.  Or I think you can, since dexter sell a spacer kit for the axle.  For the T@G anyway.  So if you call them with you axle number (written on a sticker on the axle), you might be able to lift your trailer, with the same suspension. I think the kit os good for 1 1/2".  

Might have to look for this with the search fonction.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Newbomb_TurkNewbomb_Turk Member Posts: 18
    A pitched axle is a thing that made me more likely to purchase Michelle, my 2017 Outback.

Hope this helps.

• Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    I guess the obvious question Newbomb_Turk is why?  The higher ground clearance, aesthetics, stability of towing or..?

• Newbomb_TurkNewbomb_Turk Member Posts: 18
    Higher ground clearance, @Bill_Cochrane  Sounded like a good idea since we foresaw doing at least a little off roading.  (Turned out to be handy on the way to Chaco Canyon NHP.)