Options

Do Aerodynamics of the teardrop design make a noticeable difference?

DC66DC66 Member Posts: 2
Does anyone have the experience of switching to a TAB 400 from a boxier, hybrid trailer using the same tow vehicle? We are in the market for a new trailer and the 400 is on the short list, one of the reasons being the (hopefully) more aerodynamic design making for easier towing. We currently have a hybrid of about the same dry weight as the 400 but it is a breadbox on wheels, and towing on the prairies can be like towing a kite if there's a headwind. My experience with dealers is that they will claim miraculous towing improvements with the teardrop, but I'd like to have some feedback from actual owners.  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    edited July 2022
    Here is a recent conversation regarding frontal area of a trailer:

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    I towed my 400 through Arizona with 45mpg cross winds and it did amazing. Towing with a 2017 Honda ridgeline.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591

You don't provide any details on your tow vehicle type or past trailer size/weight. There maybe many members here with similar vehicles to yours that could comment on their TAB 400 experience.

= = =

My two cents on the general question of trailer shape.

The difference in your TV + Box Trailer frontal area compared to your TV + TAB 400 frontal area (FA). And the difference you expect in total TV+Trailer driving weight, CGVW loaded for camping, will be more important than the trailing edge/rear shape of the trailer.

Less total FA and less CGVW will give you more MPG.
    More of one or both could cause lower MPG.

Many Trailer World type magazine articles debate aerodynamics vs. weight and in the end they seem to conclude:
     - - For the typical RV operator only FA and CGVW are of great importance. More aerodynamic trailer frontal and trailing edge shape do/might/could help but at the miles and speeds most of us operate the impact is difficult to see. While over-the-road big rigs doing ten's of thousands of miles are the one's that should be concerned and would benefit from minor differences in aerodynamic shape performance.

So many factors impact towing fuel efficiency – speed, shape, road interaction, drawbar length, tire pressure, CVGW, and more. It’s like squeezing jelly – you squeeze on one side and something else side pops out.

So get the TV* and Trailer Style that best fits your needs & lifestyle.
    Don't over think the fine details that impact a few bucks of operating cost**.

* TV that ideally is above the base requirements of weight/power/towing class for your trailer.

** I of course did a hundred what-if spreadsheets while shopping for my TAB long after I knew in my heart the TAB was correct one for me . . . just had to wear-down the “it's so high priced” for it's size mind shock.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Good point MuttonChops.  There is someone on the forum who tows their TaB 320 with a large Transit van.  It is bigger than the FA of the TaB.  I would like to know their experience since most of us drive TVs with FA smaller than the TaB.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DC66DC66 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info on FA, I'll do some further research. I should clarify my question. What I was seeking was experience from someone who switched to the 400 using the same tow vehicle to see if they noticed a change in towing characteristics with all else being equal other than a change in aerodynamics of the trailer.  
    Re my current set up, I have a Surveyor hybrid (dry weight 2600 lbs.) and tow with 2005 Tacoma (that's the first year Toyota changed the Taco to the larger truck we know today) with tow package and weight distribution hitch set up. It has ample capacity and I have never felt under powered, even with a head wind or in the mountains. As a result I don't intend to change the TV, it's still going strong and has never let me down. 
    We are hoping to do some more extended road trips in the future so the prospect of a slight improvement in milage and a little less effort will make a difference in the long run.