Positive and Negative Wiring for Battery after Winter Storage/Charging?

I am more than a bit surprised that the manual for my new T@B 320S Boondock doesn't say anywhere in the manual which wire goes to which battery terminal, and the wires are not marked.  And the color coding doesn't seem to conform to my prior experiences for red being positive and black being negative (and of course for house wiring green is ground).  Here is the photo I just took as I take the trailer out of storage....
1) is red-green the positive and white is negative?
2) should there be a fuse in the black receptor on the green wire? (came empty)

Didn't take a chance hooking up backward to avoid damaging the converter.

CincyKid

CincyKid
Cincinnati, OH

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,410
    edited March 2018
    @CincyKid, the wire with the fuse holder attaches to the positive terminal. In a 12V system RED is usually positive and white negative, with black sometimes making an appearance on either side. (And no, I don't know why they used a fuse holder with green wire instead of red...).

When you attach the wires you might also notice that the ring terminal on the positive wire is a larger diameter in order to match the larger positive terminal post on the battery.

And yes, there should be a 30A fuse in that fuse holder. 
    2015 T@B S

• drazilgoddrazilgod Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2018
    May I suggest turning the camper disconnect switch off before making the connection.
    Does anyone use any corrosion inhibitor? I am a WD40 junkie, but not being a car person, I have no idea if this helps.
  • ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    I would agree with @drazilgod to turn the battery cutoff switch to off before connecting the battery cables. When we first got our T@B I did not have the battery cutoff switch turned off when I connected the battery cables and blew the 30 amp battery fuse. The fuse has not blown again again now that I turn off the battery cutoff switch each time when I remove the battery from the tub.

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • CincyKidCincyKid Member Posts: 83
    Thank you all for your feedback and observations.  I did end up calling NuCamp customer service since I had a short deadline for the answer and they confirmed they use WHITE for negative.  Hooked it up that way and had no issues - and did turn the disconnect to OFF before doing so.  I like the other observations that the fuse holder is positive and the rings are different sizes.  I ended up buying a fuse at WalMarts since my trailer came sans fuse.

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH