Options

Tab 400 to South America

i don’t think there has been much discussion on tab trailers in South America so I’ll start one.  

We want to buy a retirement trailer for camping here in northern BC and winter trips to the US southwest.  We also want to take about a year and a half and travel to South America. I have looked at lots of information on travelling South America and very few people tow trailers due to the sometimes rough roads (potholes, twisty roads, etc).  There is a famous post on an airstream caravan that did it in the fifties or sixties!  Lots of people take two wheel drive vehicles and some class b motor homes or sprinter vans etc, so the roads are totally fine.   I was looking at a truck camper but it does not match our needs for the long term.  We like to take bikes (expensive mountain bikes) and canoes on trips so a pickup with a canopy is the best vehicle for our gear.  We don’t really want to drive a large truck due to mileage and my wife’s personal preference for small vehicles.  

So we really want to get a trailer that is compact enough for rougher roads (not crazy....), towed by a mid sized truck (current Nissan Frontier, likely upgrading to a Chev Colorado).  The trailer has to be mostly self sufficient (water and power) as many places we go have little or no services.  Think dispersed camping in US forest service lands but less people up here....   We also need a bathroom for occasional use.  And in South America there are few or no sani dumps so a black tank is not really good. 

Some people will think I’m crazy....but I have driven a lot of very rough and twisty roads with a trailer up here and in the Yukon so I’m not worried about that.  One trailer that I think would work is the VMI alpine but it is very expensive and utilitarian.  Based on what I need, my concept would be a Tab 400 with solar.  Potentially install a lift kit and slightly larger tires.  Replace the current toilet with a composting toilet.  What would be amazing is a tab 400 “roughrider” with the larger lift and tires, solar, and a cassette toilet, and maybe larger freshwater.   But I don’t think that version is coming.....

I’d love to hear people’s thoughts!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If you have not, already, head over to Expedition Portal. They have pretty thorough trip write ups. 

I will be honest, I think you need something more geared for expedition travel, like a true off-road trailer, truck camper, or expedition trailer with a roof-top tent. These are pricey solutions. An Earthroamer is the top of the line but a more affordable, yet still pricey option, might be a Sportsmobile.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Haloo and @Rangergirl I've been wondering how the composting toilets have been working out for you and this seems a good time to ask!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    The Darien Gap is a huge hurdle when you get to Panama.  Friends have driven to Puerto Vallarta and Cancun, it was very easy.  (One speaks fluent Spanish, which is a great plus.)  Lots of Americans and Canadians in both places who make the drive back and forth.  But most of the "adventure travel" stories I read always wind up with "what to do about the Darien Gap?"

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    Twojgrams said:
    @Haloo and @Rangergirl I've been wondering how the composting toilets have been working out for you and this seems a good time to ask!
    Well, I am in the middle of installing mine right now.  I had previously installed it temporarily so that we could pee in it on the way back to the NW after picking up our 400 in Arizona.  Now I’m figuring out just where I will place the vent for the solids tank.

I’d like to go right out the side wall from the bathroom.  But the air conditioner is right there and I don’t want to suck the exhaust from the commode back into the camper when the AC is going.  Going straight up to the roof would mean putting holes in the cabinetry, or doing some other awkward manuever with the vent hose.  

I bought an Airhead brand composting toilet (I think it will work better in the 400’s wet bath than a Nature’s Head).  Their setup places the vent fan at the end of the vent hose, instead of at the commode.  They say this setup is 40% more efficient for moving air.  So I need to locate the fan and its housing in a place I can easily get to the fan if I need to service or replace it.  I think I’ve got an idea where to vent further back on the camper.

The mounting of the commode is the easy part.  I’m taking pictures as I go along and will post my install when completed.  I hope to be done in a couple of days.

This is a fun project!
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    If you have not, already, head over to Expedition Portal. They have pretty thorough trip write ups. 

I will be honest, I think you need something more geared for expedition travel, like a true off-road trailer, truck camper, or expedition trailer with a roof-top tent. These are pricey solutions. An Earthroamer is the top of the line but a more affordable, yet still pricey option, might be a Sportsmobile.
    I agree with this.  While we’ve taken our 400 down some rutted roads, it really isn’t the most robust camper out there.  If we want to go someplace difficult to get to, we’ll drop the trailer somewhere (with our hitch and wheel locks installed) and take our 4x4 pickup and tent for a few days.

We do have solar, and soon will have a composting toilet installed in our 400.

Maybe a 320 Boondock for S. America?
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Thanks @Haloo! A tutorial will be such a benefit for others who are contemplating this. I'd be curious to know how NüCamp managed the venting as I think the factory made the mod for @Rangergirl. I could be wrong-sometimes I scan threads none too carefully
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @HR_Taly is the owner with the composting toilet that works so well.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    @HR_Taly is the owner with the composting toilet that works so well.  
    Yep.  He has a 320 and tied his commode venting into an existing vent if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The Darian Gap work around is to ferry your rig to Cartegena, Colombia and to continue on from there.  I have driven in Colombia(my better half is Colombiana) and I can attest to road conditions, but also driving “habits”/ rules of the road are different/non existent, to say the least. Gloria’s daughter rode a moto from Bogota to La Pas; it was difficult to say the least, and she has the language!  I would love to do something like this as well, but would probably look for something already there...wouldn’t be a T@b, unfortunately....
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    CordilleraCordillera Member Posts: 7
    Yes the darian gap is a hurdle.  What I understand is either roll on roll off shipping or containers.  A 40 foot “high cube” container will handle a pickup and tab trailer (maximum height is 8foot 6imches).  So that’s do able.  

As for a tab 320 I love the feel and compactness but I’m 6 foot 4 inches so it’s frankly too short for long term use.

I’m surprised to hear the comment that a tab 400 isn’t burly enough but that is the feedback I was looking for.  I just can’t justify the cost of an earthroamer or similar and for the reasons above a truck camper is far from ideal.  

It’s interesting that the information on road conditions down there are very contradictory.  Lots of information that shows people driving all the way in two wheel drive cars with no problems; just drive to suit the conditions.  That makes me think a solid travel trailer with good clearance will be fine.  But.....

If a tab isn’t burly enough then my options are the trailers that are more designed for off road such as VMI or a custom rig.  But those are very spendy.  
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Cordillera glad you have done your research thus far.  My experiance is in Colombia.  Roads are very drivable, but once you are off the “autopistas” and into the mountain roads, the road conditions change dramatically. 2 lane roads is the best you will find, for the most part, and EVERYTHING drives on them, and they are narrow.  Washouts are not uncommon.  I “hear” Bolivia is the worst...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Good feedback on roads in Columbia. One fellow on expedition portal who had done the Pan Am several times indicated roads are better in the southern half (ie chile and argentina) but as you indicate if you stay on main roads no problem for most two wheel drive vehicles.  it has been driven by all sorts of vehicles including trucks towing travel trailers.  A lot of feedback is make sure you can handle potholes (clearance and departure angle) and be maneuverable.  Even large overland vehicles have trouble with narrow streets so in general the rule is smaller is better.  

With the feedback we got here we will look harder at the 320 boondock version.  My wife can live without a bathroom and we plan on cooking outdoors mostly so perhaps I can live with less headroom.  The 320 with a bathroom is just too squished for us.  

We have also looked hard at the Taxa Cricket which has many of the features we need.  More headroom for me being the biggest.   

More research to come!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There will be a 400 Boondock model coming out in the next few months.

But, all the Boondock models give you on the 320 and the 400 is a pitched axle for a higher clearance , some Boondock decals and maybe a bit different coloring on the interior. There are no plans for a tire storage rack due to the placement of the stargazer window in the bed area. The spare tire on the 400 will be under the tongue, just like the other 400’s. 

There are no extra heavy duties components included. From my understanding, the 400 Boondock will not have the front storage “shelf” due to the already heavy tongue weight. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    I'm the one with the Airhead Composting toilet, but I do have it installed in a 320S.  Like @Haloo stated, I think the Airhead was better for the T@B than the Nature's Head.  Not only does Airhead have a smaller footprint (with the "Marine Size" version), but the rubber gaskets and seals are excellent for a wetbath.

I'd say how much you are going to use the T@B would be the decision maker.  A composting toilet will run over $1,000 vs whatever a portable potty costs (but I imagine a lot less).

I have mine vented out the side wall using the tank vent located above the fresh water fill.  This was done by my dealer, nuCamp wouldn't touch this mod. Under normal use, I never seem to have any odour from the vent outside even if I put my nose right next to it. Composting toilets are really strange that way!  I don't have an issue at all with having the window open on the side of the vent.

Perhaps this is TMI, but note I did say "under normal use".  I was in a location where I had easy access to a bathhouse for a few weeks so used the toilet very rarely.  If you let that liquids tank sit for well more than a week... I don't know how to describe the odour but I think that was one of the worst things I've ever smelled in my life.  No odour seemed to get in my T@B, but I could get a wiff of it outside.  And when I dumped it, I think I nearly passed out! They joys of composting toilets.  Let's just say I set myself a schedule for dumping it and never just wait until it's full now!

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @Cordillera, sounds like a great idea! An amazing trip.

Did you check this out? https://trans-americas.com They've been on the road since 2005 or so.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Verna nice to hear there may be a boondock 400 model.  I understand the issue with tire placement and thought I could put it on the tongue but that soulds like the weight would be a problem.   hmmm....   it could be carried in the TV or maybe install a roofrack above the stargazer or?   The increased clearance is reported to be important for South America so a pitched axle is a good idea.  I think i could just upgrade axles myself but its tidier to come from the factory.   

so....if a 400 boondock version comes out it helps with the clearance issues.  The 320 being shorter would be more maneuverable so easier to handle in tight roads that might be encountered.  But a 400 would have a lot more space for a year on the road and would definitely handle the preferred toilet option better.  Nice to hear there is a known installation for a composting toilet.  

So, i think i could actually make either one work, just depending  on what roads are to be travelled.  I will do more homework on roads and keep refining my plan.   

• Options
    LuigiLuigi Member Posts: 31
    The Cirrus looks like a beautiful truck camper. There are good videos out there to give you a look at the inside. You'd have the rugged 4WD of your truck to handle rough roads.
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I love watching video of people's travels through south America.  Top Gear did a great Bolivia special, and Expedition Overland (YouTube) did a fantastic trip as well.

That said, I'm not sure I would be up for that level of adventure myself. I'm just not confident enough that I would be able to get out of some of the trouble that I might find there.

That said, if I was planning a trip, I would buy a camper van, perhaps based on one of the smaller Mercedes Sprinters, and re-sell it after the trip if it did not suit my normal lifestyle. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    I don’t know. I found this picture of the Darian Gap. You don’t think a T@B could make it? 😂🤣😂🤣
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.