Options

Boondocking around the Mesa Verde/Grand Canyon

newellnewell Member Posts: 182
     We're heading out at the beginning of May for a cross country from central New York to California.  We have a lot of stops planned between NY and  AZ in different campgrounds heading west.  Once we get out around the Grand Canyon,  things get pretty spread out.  Any advice on boon docking once we get where all the good stuff is? 

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Go to Campendium.com. They have a ton of great boondocking sites.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn, what an awesome website, thank you.....

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2018
    +1!
    Never saw that site before now. Nice resource!
    jkjenn said:
    Go to Campendium.com. They have a ton of great boondocking sites.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    The North Rim tends to open mid May, not nearly as crowded and there is NF just north for boondock camping. Might be a bit cold at nights though.  Check NF web site for opening dates and camp possiblies.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    George101George101 Member Posts: 48
    Desert View Campground is essentially boondocking.  There are bathrooms but no water or electric at the sites.

Its a great location, first come first serve.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Not much boondocking around Mesa Verde, but their Morefield Campground is pretty nice...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    I stayed at Mancos  State Park about 13 miles east of Mesa Verde.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    There are also a couple RV parks at the turnoff to Mesa Verde, as well as a KOA and others in Cortez, about 10 miles west.

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    MrsSeed913MrsSeed913 Member Posts: 4
     Newbie question:  What is boondocking? 
  • Options
     Newbie question:  What is boondocking? 
    Boondocking is camping in dispersed camping areas. These are areas generally designated by the National Forest Service, BLM, or NWF, or similar state entities as appropriate for camping but are not part of established campgrounds. They are typically designated with an existing pull-out or driveway and an existing fire ring. You would not find any hook-ups and are expected to be self-sufficient if you boondock.

Sometimes people will mistake "dry camping", which is camping without electric (shore power) or other hook-ups or overnight parking, which is spending the night sleeping in your TV, while connected to your TV in a parking lot, typically a Wal-Mart or other big box store who allow for it, with boondocking, which takes place in the wild.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @MrsSeed913, welcome to the forum! I see you've been a member for a few months, but this is your first post. There are great folks here, who happily share a wealth of information. Are you a t@b owner? Or a potential owner? Good luck and great adventures, regardless!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Between Durango and Pagosa Springs just off US 160, there is a nice little NF campground we have used several times.   It's called Lower Piedra and if your route takes you that way, it's worth checking out.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I suspect NFS has these for Districts other than ours, but there’s a nice map that shows where “dispersed camping” is allowed; needless to say it’s not generally along major roads.

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    MrsSeed913MrsSeed913 Member Posts: 4

at JKJenn - Thank you for answering my question.  :)  at DragonsDoFly - Thank you for the warm welcome.  Yes, I've been lurking and trying to find answers to my gazillion questions via previous posts. I will be a T@b owner, after I decide what I want, which is proving to be a very difficult thing to figure out. 

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @MrsSeed913, please enjoy the decision making process. I found that it is all part of the adventure. As is the later to come outfitting of your trailer, the shakedown trip, the cross country planning, are each parts of one great adventure. @Rangergirl, great info.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Valley of the Gods, too has quite a bit of great boondocking. It's not too far from Moab, Cortez, Natural Bridges (and the Moki Dugway), Mexican Hat, Goose Necks of the San Juan, or Monument Valley. There is also outside of Goosenecks of the San Juan, IIRC.

There is also some nice boondocking along US 95.

• Options
    CowfarmerCowfarmer Member Posts: 5
    The NF campgrounds as mentioned by someone else in between Durango and Mesa Verde is a great spot to camp.  The valley of the gods was a neat spot as well.
  • Options
    I'll have to look into Valley of the Gods, I hadn't heard of that one. Thanks.