Options

Extra overhead storage shelves

I know I saw several posts about this a while back but have searched and can't locate them.  I'm looking for comments/pics from those who have added storage shelves, usually wire ones, in front of the back storage cabinets and usually attached somehow to the side valence storage compartments.
2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @T@Balong, can't post the specific thread, but I believe @Dalehelman was the first or among the first to post pics and describe this mod. Good luck!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    This is one thread, but I swear @Homebodyatheart had one of the first-and a photo of Doug?
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4268/shelves-behind-back-seat-installed
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Ok, now I'm mixing up DHs with the wrong DWs, and wire vs wooden storage solutions! My apologies, but here's the @DougandMia solution anyway.
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/39601#Comment_39601
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    edited March 2018
    @T@balong, Twojgrams is connecting with the below and behind the sofa seat, while I'm thinking of shelves built or attached in the rear above the cabinets. Most of the pics I'm posting can be found in a Dalehelman thread titled pics of my favorite mods in January 2017. I hope between those of us responding to your query, you find what you're looking for.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
  • Options

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    It's the overhead wire shelves I'm interested in.   Looking for some specifics where the shelves are available and how attached to the ceiling and/or side valences.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @T@balong, go to the categories list and click on modifications. Find the thread by Dalehelman titled pic of some of my favorite mods, listed in January 2017. Once he posted his pics, there was a discussion of what he used and how he did it, with others posting their similar modifications. There's even pics of very nice built-in cabinets in the upper valence shelf location you are interested in.  Good luck and happy hunting for the info! Get creative out there.
  • Options
    Thank you, I see how it's done now
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @T@Balong, I did the same shelves in the back of our T@B. Liz got the shelf at Home depot. I used metal shelf hangers on both ends, as we put clothes on that rack. On either side I used command hooks, and on the back side used clips screwed in to the shelf surround for strength.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    I think the trick is to store stuff up there that doesn't weigh too much
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Or.....Stuff you don't mind picking up after you arrive. First use was a quick study in how much the trailer bounces...& how VERY glad I was that Liz & I so neatly folded our now strewn all over the place clothes! :o:s I'm in the process of figuring out a bungie, or netting to hold everything in place, just haven't decided which way to go yet. I intentionally reinforced the shelf so we COULD put heavier items there, but that being said, not everyone will have the same use for it either. That decision would be on an individual basis. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ericnliz, if you take a hot shower without a fan on, the condensation on the ceiling will show exactly where the ceiling struts are....just in case you get up the courage to drill into one. Please use some caulking to ensure no dampness gets into the struts. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Nice!
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    peterac50peterac50 Member Posts: 67
    Well done. Beautifully executed. This is a really great mod. I have a cabinet maker friend who could help me with this kind of project. What are the final dimensions of each cubby?
    Peter and Nicki; Quechee, Vt
    States Visited Map
    2019 Tab 400; 2019 TV Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    dluddlud Member Posts: 32
    The doors are each 18.75" x 7.5". I had them made at Cabinethub.com in maple. With boring for hinges the three doors were $165.00. The rest of the structure I made myself using 3/4" maple plywood for the base of the cabinets and, as I recall, the face frame was made of 1 x 2" and 1 x 6" (for the outside pieces) and the face frame was glued and screwed together with pocket screws. The top 1 x 2 that goes across the width of the trailer was cut at an angle to match the roof slope in that area. Really a pretty simple project. 
  • Options
    In the end, how deep are the internal shelves?
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    The base of the shelf spans the width of the trailer and is, by my recollection, about 11-12" deep. However, you can make it as deep or shallow as you want. Your depth is only limited by the existing shelves on each side of the trailer and the side windows.
  • Options
    This is the base of the shelf before it was installed to give you an idea of the depth.
  • Options
    Thank you. This was very helpful. You've done a mod that is as beautiful as it is useful. Oh, what do you tend to put in these cubbies?
    States Visited Map
  • Options
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Nice work--there's some great ideas in this thread. I think a simple upper shelf would serve my purposes better, but I like the idea of building it in wood--i.e., a hybrid of sorts between the ClosetMaid shelf and the fully enclosed cabinets.

@dlud, the cabinets are certainly heavier than the wire shelf. How did you go about attaching them securely to the walls/ceiling? Did you locate and attach to any of the T@B's existing struts or studs? It looks like you might have even used the the existing valance for added support.

Thanks for any additional insight you (or anyone else) can offer. I'm looking forward to adding this to my mod list!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @JanandDave: I don't recall there being a difference in the length of the valence on the right vs left sides. I did remove the vertical end pieces from the side valences before attaching the face of new cabinet to the valences. I really like the lower shelf that you built. When I pull the T@B out of storage I'll have to take a look at that.

@ScottG:Regarding attachment, the base of the new cabinet was attached at the rear by pocket screws to the face of the existing cabinet. The face of the new cabinet was attached to each valence with screws. The top of the face of the new cabinet was attached to the ceiling of the trailer with silicone adhesive. It really is not very heavy although I didn't weigh it. We've used it for the past year without any issues and enjoy the extra storage space.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @dlud

Love the upper cabinets. I really want to to copy that mod, but still need to get the chairwoman of the board to sign off on the project. 

Since I build kitchens, among other things, I should be able to exactly match the original cabinets. Already have the natural birch, maple plywood and other parts. Just need permission.

One question, though. On our T@B, there is approx. 1" difference from the face of the present cabinets to the back of the valence on each side. Figure on having to shorten the driver's side valence (it won't interfere with the window) to make this work. Did you have the same issue, and how did you deal with it?

In the meantime, I did build a smaller shelf under the original cabinets. Added some recessed LED strip lighting tapping off the existing reading lamp wiring on one side. You can see the red push button switch on the left side. It has been very handy at holding smaller items and helps keep the added slots for heat dispersion in the rear shelf clear when using the Alde.

Thanks

I love this!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @JanandDave: is the led strip 12v?. What did you use to make the silver railing and how is it attached? What is the height of the shelf that you built below the existing shelf? All good stuff!!
  • Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    The lights are 12V, no transformer needed. The railing was there when we bought the T@B and for the life of me, I can't figure out how it was done. The shelf is about 5" high and 8" deep and does not interfere with the reclining bench. Thanks
    2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    @JanandDave, pop-t@b (Shawn) did a post on the rear shelf railing. I think he detailed how he altered and installed large door pulls (possibly Ikea products) to be used as the railing. I'm sure the post can be found in the modification category. 
  • Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    It would be the largest kitchen cabinet pull I’ve ever seen in 19 years of building them and 25 years before that of cooking in my restaurant.  :)

I’ll search for the post, though. Thanks

2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    @JanandDave, I think he altered more than one piece to fit. And they are full length door pulls for 92" doors. Me thinks.