Options

Caulking question

Where the two pices of molding meet a the top of the Tab 320 there is some caulking with a gap, since it is the same on both sides, I assume this gap is intentional, but want to make sure it should not be filled in with caulk, I am attaching a picture of ine side but as mentioned before both sides appear to be the same.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The trim tends to separate, sometimes as a result of the seasonal heating and cooling. You can unscrew and recaulk to a better look, but it is aesthetic, only and not at risk for leaks.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    jkjenn said:
    The trim tends to separate, sometimes as a result of the seasonal heating and cooling. You can unscrew and recaulk to a better look, but it is aesthetic, only and not at risk for leaks.
    X2
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    X3
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    drazilgoddrazilgod Member Posts: 11
    We have the same issue. It's hard to think that it is not a bad thing, but some very smart people in this forum seem to think so. Thanks
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I would touch up that vent though.  Looks like there is a gap there that shouldn’t be.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    This comes up every so often in the threads on this forum. It's funny, every other photo I've seen of this caulking job looks exactly the same, as mine does!
    The manufacturer must think no one is concerned with how their Tab looks from outer space! Jeesh!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    It also looks like there are cracks radiating from the screw hole. Again, don't panic--it's common and it happened to mine. I just schmooied a little caulking in the crack and I give it a quick inspection and touch-up at the start of each season.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ScottG......"schmooied"????? :o I'm gonna need a copy of yer dictionary here pretty quick I'm thinkin'!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    The crack in mine turned into a break and the end of the moulding disappeared . I agree with chanW, with the great workmanship everywhere else, it's a mystery to me why this needs to be such a cob job. 

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • Options
    Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    edited March 2018
    The trim caulking on my 2017 Outback where it meets on top is also very messy.  Seems to me that not much care is taken in the appearance on top of the T@B.  But I'm optimistic that the care is to ensure the joints are well protected from leaks.  But yes, we should be able to expect both.
    2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it.