Options

Fish tailing on 320cs

Tab320csTab320cs Member Posts: 8
I have a 2018 320cs clamshell. Just got back from a long road trip. Experienced fish tailing Considering installing a sway bar hitch. Good idea? Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Most of us are getting by fine without a sway bar.  What is your tow vehicle?  Does your trailer sit level when you are loaded?  Do you have your spare tire, battery, and propane tank all tongue mounted? 

Too little tongue weight is likely a problem.  With all the storage in the galley kitchen, it is easy to put a fair bit of weight behind the axle, which lightens the tongue weight.  Though I have never experienced sway with my CS-S, it does tow a lot smoother when I am able to put something heavy in front of the axle, such as water, or my screen tent.  I always have the battery, propane tank, and spare tire mounted on the tongue. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    I agree with rjk__     Too little tongue weight

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    x3.

Just for your reference, 'they' recommend a tongue weight equivalent to 10%-15% of the total trailer weight. 

On ours, fully loaded, that's @ 220-250 pounds.

When our tongue weight was too light, the Tab had a greater tendency to sway also.

Adjusting your load a bit, from 'behind the axle' to 'in front of the axle' is the way to correct the tongue weight.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Like the others say - too little tongue weight.  Either that or your hitch height is too high.  Or a combination of both.  Tongue weight is the more likely suspect.   I had the exact same problem when I picked up my outback.  I began loading forward on the tongue and the problem went away.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    I moved my spare tire to the tongue almost as soon as I bought my T@B last spring and I haven't had any problems with sway (3000+ mi) . I'm not sure where the water tank is on the newer CS but I have an older (2013) model that has the tank at the very back, so I try to travel with just enough water for an "emergency."  On one occasion when it was very windy I took some of my heavier stuff out of my TV and put it in the trailer in front of the axle (i.e. just inside the door).
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    air up those tires to the correct PSI on the side wall
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Sway bars are just a band aid  solution to a weight distribution problem. As stated before more tongue weight is needed. IMHO
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    I have a CS-S as well. One trip, I had a bunch of canned goods in the kitchen along with cast iron pans. Had fishtail that trip. Since then, I pay attention to the weight in the back and not trouble since then. Took a 7,000 mile trip last summer with no problems. Also, watch speed. Hope that helps. 
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410