Options

Where do you carry your bicycles?

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
edited March 2018 in Tips & Tricks
It's been a while since we've enjoyed a good poll. This one's purely out of curiosity, as it seems to be a topic of much discussion!
2015 T@B S

Where do you carry your bicycles? 54 votes

On or in my tow vehicle.
51% 28 votes
On or in my T@B.
25% 14 votes
Bicycles? I don't need bicycles!
9% 5 votes
I don't know--I'm working on it!
12% 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    At my well-seasoned years, it 's best to keep both feet firmly planted on the ground! =) (and there ARE times when that in itself is a challenge! :o:s)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2018
    I bought folding Tern bikes so I could carry them under the tonneau(sp?) cover on the Tacoma. That way when I stop somewhere no one knows I have bikes. Here in Seattle bikes are stolen on a regular basis so I'm kind of sensitive to their disappearance.
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I bought two Yakima mounts that attach to the Yakima rack on the back of my outback. I also bought the skewer locks to boot, locked & loaded!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    In our TV. Folding bikes for the boys. That was a major consideration when buying our vehicle, before the t@b was even on our radar!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    I just bought a folding bike and I plan to carry it in the T@B. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Have 2 Euro mini folding bikes that we can carry in the minivan.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I carry my electric assist folding bike in my back seat next to the ARB. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    We carry two full size mountain bikes on a home made rack on the tongue. 

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I carry bicycles in the bed of my pickup truck.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Before we had the T@B we hauled 3 bikes and 2 kayaks on our rack-n-roll trailer, with the camping gear inside the minivan and the third kayak in the van roof. Sadly haven’t taken either bikes or kayaks on any T@B trips, even now that we have only two of each. Still trying to figure this out...
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    One thing I really like about the Other Brand is the receiver at the back of the trailer. We have a hitch mounted bike carrier and I would LOVE to be able to carry our bikes on the back of the T@B.
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    My bike has a 1805cc engine, was obtained in 2016 and well, is my other broom! All 7 feet of it.

It fits inside when the 4' dog crate isn't in there....

Um, @Ratkity, for your benefit I was careful to say bicycles in the poll.  ;-)

However, I'm pleased to say you arrived right on cue! And who doesn't enjoy a pic of a shiny motorcycle or an adorable puppy?  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    While we would love to take the bikes along, the dogs insist on the kayaks.   :)  
    2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    newellnewell Member Posts: 182

I'll bet you could fit the dogs in here some place...

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    For sure, just haven't figured how to carry them on the bikes.

2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    ClaudeAClaudeA Member Posts: 54
    With a minivan both bikes fit quite easily in the tv.
    2016 CS-S silver and red, 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid
    Ottawa, Ontario
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    My wife saw someone on "Facebook?" who purchased the back bracket mount that you see on the outback, for their T@b.  Then they just put their yakima mounts on it and carried their bikes that way.  The dealer mounted it for them.  Wonder how expensive.   She will be making a call to find out.  We have been getting ready to pull the trigger on an Arvika.  What are peoples opinions on that back rack and also carrying bikes on it?  We already have the Thule setup from a previous car and had been considering selling that.  Interesting how we all start collecting gear like that.  And, it was expensive...!    BTW, we have been in contact with the Arvika people and they have been very nice.  5 stars!!
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Answering part of my own question, we were told that the frame really is not strong enough for that kind of setup...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 said:
    My wife saw someone on "Facebook?" who purchased the back bracket mount that you see on the outback, for their T@b.  Then they just put their yakima mounts on it and carried their bikes that way.  The dealer mounted it for them.  Wonder how expensive.   She will be making a call to find out.  We have been getting ready to pull the trigger on an Arvika.  What are peoples opinions on that back rack and also carrying bikes on it?  We already have the Thule setup from a previous car and had been considering selling that.  Interesting how we all start collecting gear like that.  And, it was expensive...!    BTW, we have been in contact with the Arvika people and they have been very nice.  5 stars!!
    I’d be concerned about stresses pulling the rack loose at the top. Don’t remember enough college physics to know for sure. 
  • Options
    Ahh... more discussion on this has taken place before.  I just found it... oh well, I’m sure others think of these things...

https://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4154/diy-roof-rack-on-t-b-similar-to-outback
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ScottG said:
    Ratkity said:
    My bike has a 1805cc engine, was obtained in 2016 and well, is my other broom! All 7 feet of it.

It fits inside when the 4' dog crate isn't in there....

Um, @Ratkity, for your benefit I was careful to say bicycles in the poll.  ;-)

However, I'm pleased to say you arrived right on cue! And who doesn't enjoy a pic of a shiny motorcycle or an adorable puppy?  :-)
    Couldn't help myself. Dat pups is getting BIG, and um, so are his teef. The bike is still the same size lol. The weather is NOT behaving.

Hey weather!!! Ya, you! Dere are peeps dat want to CAMP - with and without bicycles or puppies on bicycles (or puppies in kayaks). Give us all a BREAK! *sigh*

Ok all, I did what I could. It's out of my hands now. :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I’ll huff and I’ll puff and send some warm air that way ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    TerryV6 said:
    I’d be concerned about stresses pulling the rack loose at the top. Don’t remember enough college physics to know for sure. 
    800 miles traveled with my set up like this and all is well thus far...1400 more before I get home.
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options

2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    For those of you who carry your bikes on your trailer, do you always ride from your campsite, or do you have another means of transporting them once you are unhitched?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    For those of you who carry your bikes on your trailer, do you always ride from your campsite, or do you have another means of transporting them once you are unhitched?
    My set up is new, but I plan on tossing the bikes in the back of my TV when necessary...
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    I have a hitch mounted bike rack that predates our T@B. If I could figure out a safe way to carry the bikes on the T@B I would bring that bike carrier along so we can transport them to rail trails and the like. The nice thing about this kind of bike carrier is you already have a hitch to attach it to, by definition.
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    ScottG said:
    I have a hitch mounted bike rack that predates our T@B. If I could figure out a safe way to carry the bikes on the T@B I would bring that bike carrier along so we can transport them to rail trails and the like. The nice thing about this kind of bike carrier is you already have a hitch to attach it to, by definition.
    Just remembered, last year I was looking at a solution called UpNFront. It is a thing you mount to your trailer frame in front of the propane tub. It includes a receiver that you can use with a hitch mounted bike carrier. The company owner did some measuring and determined that it would fit between my metal tub and my jack post mounted spare tire. I let this slide because I was laid up all summer with a broken ankle, but I will take another look this spring. When you arrive at camp you can just move the bike carrier to your TV receiver.
  • Options
    The UpNFront sounds like a slick idea. I wondered if people used receiver racks once they were unhitched--this device would negate the need to carry an additional rack. My only concern with the TAB would be enough turning clearance.

@Photomom, I suspect many here will look forward to your final report when you revisit the issue.
    2015 T@B S