Options

Successfully eliminated “P” trap under sink with Hepvo valve

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
edited June 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Dalehelman I really like this! Are you dewinterized yet and can play with it with water to see how it performs?
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Parts list 
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLMPLDU?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Everbilt 1-1/2 in. Plastic Tee Slip Joint

See this on Homedepot.com

OMSID#: 205153788
    Store SKU#: 1000050260

Qty: 1

Aisle: 08 Bay: 007

1-1/2 in. ABS DWV Hub x SJ Trap Adapter

OMSID#: 100344620
    Store SKU#: 188891

Qty: 2

Aisle: 09 Bay: 011

Everbilt 1-1/2 in. x 12 in. PVC Solvent-Weld-Joint Extension Tube

OMSID#: 205154042
    Store SKU#: 1000050266

Qty: 1

Aisle: 08 Bay: 007

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    You are awesome!!!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    You are awesome!!!
    Thanks for turning me on to the Hepvo.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart
    works as advertised. Garage never gets below 40*. IMHO it would ok to dewinterize now. Even if it were to drop below freezing at night it wouldn’t be long enough to do any damage.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Dale, that's excellent! I had no idea such a device existed!

About a year ago, I bought all the parts I'd need to reroute the drain and trap under the kitchen sink (ours drains toward the front of the cabinet).

Haven't got a round tewitt though, of course, and now I have to find a use for all those parts, cuz this is a much better solution!

Thanks Dale. Love it!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2018
    @Dalehelman I can’t make it this weekend but I’ll be there next week end. Beverages and food of your choice plus..

ok not really, but I’m gonna study these
    pics in great and see if I can maybe try once more. Great work!
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Dale, there's a bit of a contradiction in your illustrations vs parts list...

The slip tee you used in your installation photos looks to be part of a 'slip tee / waste outlet' fitting. ie:
    LDR 506 6135 PVC Slip Connect End Outlet Waste Tee 1-12-Inch
    Wouldn't that be easier than the triple-slip tee?

Also, a question. The el between the sink outlet and the Hepvo is a slip fitting, isn't it? How do you seal the threaded sink outlet to the slip-fitting el? 
    edit: I now see, it's not a slip-joint. I found the video here.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Note the Hepvo is a couple dollars cheaper directly from their website, here: http://hepvo.com/buy-now/
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Dale, this might be your best mod, yet!!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanW said:
    Dale, there's a bit of a contradiction in your illustrations vs parts list...

The slip tee you used in your installation photos looks to be part of a 'slip tee / waste outlet' fitting. ie:
    LDR 506 6135 PVC Slip Connect End Outlet Waste Tee 1-12-Inch
    Wouldn't that be easier than the triple-slip tee?

Also, a question. The el between the sink outlet and the Hepvo is a slip fitting, isn't it? How do you seal the threaded sink outlet to the slip-fitting el? 
    edit: I now see, it's not a slip-joint. I found the video here.
    Very true I can’t get anything by some of you. In my case I did use a T like you picture d. Instead of the slip fit T in the parts list. I all ready had one and it saved me a trip to HDI
    placed it in the inverted position. By doing that it was necessary remove the baffle inside it with a small grinder. The standard slip T should be easier for the average person. Either way will get the job done.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    If you do this mod. Be advised that it is necessary to reconnect the vent pipe at the top of the T fitting.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I was sure that 39923 195944 bar code sticker was an important part of it, since it wasn't there in the earlier photo...  =)

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    @Dalehelman Beautiful work (as usual!). Any concerns about odour from the grey water tank?
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    hymie said:
    @Dalehelman Beautiful work (as usual!). Any concerns about odour from the grey water tank?
    None take time to watch @ChanW video posted above.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If you do this mod. Be advised that it is necessary to reconnect the vent pipe at the top of the T fitting.

According to a couple videos I’ve watched, the hepvo valve makes that vent pipe unnecessary. Would you comment?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yfYwmKnWXXw
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Photomom, I wondered the same thing, but got to thinking (uh oh). It's a possiblility that that vent pipe is the main 'stack' vent for the gray water.

IOW, the shower drain might also depend on that vent pipe. (I haven't looked in that wall behind the toilet in a while).

But, on second thought (uh oh!), combining a drain and a vent like that might be unacceptable...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Dalehelman aahhhh. Comprehension dawns..... Ok. Another DH mod to add to the list. :) Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Sigh... Like the discharge mod in that a shopping trip south may be in order. The challenge of living in the land of snow.... Good to know that direct purchase is an option because Amazon.ca is not.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited March 2018
    ChanW said:
    @Photomom, I wondered the same thing, but got to thinking (uh oh). It's a possiblility that that vent pipe is the main 'stack' vent for the gray water.

IOW, the shower drain might also depend on that vent pipe. (I haven't looked in that wall behind the toilet in a while).

But, on second thought (uh oh!), combining a drain and a vent like that might be unacceptable...
    If my plumbing schematic is to be believed, the gray tank (and by association the shower) do indeed vent up past the sink drain.

So, while the Hepco valve itself may not require a vent, you should still reconnect as Dalehelman has.

Draining into a pipe that serves as vent for a fixture lower down is called "wet venting." Residential plumbing codes do prohibit it in certain situations, but I don't recall the specifics. I think it has to do with toilets on upper floors, so unless you've installed an extra can on the roof of your T@B, you should be good to go.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    $216!?! What the heck is that about?

Must be the new tariffs! Jeesh!

I might just have to go into smuggling over the Peace Bridge. I'd clearly be able to make some good money! (JUST KIDDING, Customs Officer, sir!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    ChanW said:

If my plumbing schematic is to be believed, the gray tank (and by association the shower) do indeed vent up past the sink drain.

So, while the Hepco valve itself may not require a vent, you should still reconnect as Dalehelman has.

Draining into a pipe that serves as vent for a fixture lower down is called "wet venting." Residential plumbing codes do prohibit it in certain situations, but I don't recall the specifics. I think it has to do with toilets on upper floors, so unless you've installed an extra can on the roof of your T@B, you should be good to go.  ;-)
    @ ScottG thanks for answering the question. You did it better than I could have. I tried without. The water entering the gray tank forced the air up through the shower drain. Correct that vent is needed for the shower.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Thanks, @Dalehelman. I always appreciate a good "try it and see what happens" to back up the theory. Now we know!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    The Dutchman T@Bs have a strainer/sink adapter that includes a check valve style waterless trap.  In the picture it is the round bottom white unit on the bottom of the sink.  The entire drain plumbing is the corrugated grey hose leading to a 3/4 inch threaded hose connection beneath the trailer.

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Sandiegogal Our next mod......this will eliminate the weird smell in the trailer. HepvO® valve.... who knew this even existed? The HepvO® valve means enhanced plumbing design and system efficiency, without compromising performance or risking the escape of foul air into the living space from the drain or sewer.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    rfuss928 said:
    The Dutchman T@Bs have a strainer/sink adapter that includes a check valve style waterless trap.  In the picture it is the round bottom white unit on the bottom of the sink.  The entire drain plumbing is the corrugated grey hose leading to a 3/4 inch threaded hose connection beneath the trailer.

I assume you have know holding tank. If that is true then no “P” is needed 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    NHCraigNHCraig Member Posts: 26
    Very cool, but I have to admit I'm not sure what the reason was - is this a plumbing improvement, or done to buy more storage space under the sink?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    More storage easier access.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @Dalehelman in the third picture, on the floor of the cabinet, are those shavings from having to cut something?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited March 2018
    jkjenn said:
    @Dalehelman in the third picture, on the floor of the cabinet, are those shavings from having to cut something?
    Yes it is necessary to cut 8” from the drain pipe. It is important to make the top cut  3/4” from the top 45* elbow.

1. Hash  T@B Fun