Options

Western campground suggestions needed: SLC, Reno, northern CA

My wife and I are planning a 2+ week trip from SW Colorado to the central Oregon coast (Waldport), wanting to NOT spend too much time driving so we can enjoy the T@B!  We're planning on stopping at Fruita (nr Grand Junction), Salt Lake City, a long drive across Nevada to Reno, then north to the CA/OR border.  Any suggestions for places to stop/camp?  Thanks!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    JD, the campground at Colorado National Monument is really nice.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    If you go directly east from Reno to reach 101, it runs through the redwoods and runs along the ocean from just north of crescent city all the way to Waldport.  101 is a good road the entire length.  This would route you thru Redwood State Park that has Burlington Campground (no electricity though).  Patricks point State park is also nice.  You can reserve on the State park website.  In Oregon, there are a series of state parks fairly close to 101, generally with full facilities.  

What time of year are you going?  Crater is outstanding when it opens at the end of May (but you need to reserve early).  If you go the 101 route, I can probably identify a couple of additional choices.  I haven't stayed on the Oregon Coast for a while (I'm probably going there myself in late spring) so I'm going by my recollection of the area.  It is stunning, I just don't remember specific state parks that I stayed in in Oregon (check out their site, there are quite a few along 101 between border and Waldport.  
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Thanks!  Going the last 2 weeks of May...

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I was going to make the same suggestion as Jenn for the Fruita stop.  The campground at Colorado National Monument has great sites overlooking Fruita.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    I loved that campground... the sites are spacious and more private than some of the parks, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Another nice place is Bothe-Napa State Park, a smaller park just north of  Saint Helena in the Napa Wine valley (very pretty drive and an overbite at the end of the day).  Again, no electricity but showers (and a pool as I recall).  I've always been partial to sites 1 to 7 (a little more secluded).  The road out connects to 101 north of the park. It's popular so you would need to reserve ahead of time (weekends are already booked up but during week there are generally spaces). 

Depends on which direction you go to get up to Oregon (I5 is more direct to Willamette Valley and some Rogue River campsites are along this route, but not a lot of crossover roads to the coast).  
  • Options
    I did too, @jkjenn!  Here is a photo of our actual campsite with Fruita in the background.
  • Options
    Lisa, looks like we had the same site!

• Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Ah! Northern California...
    Burlington Campground in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. It's magical. You are camping deep in a Redwood Grove.
    Sites 25, 43, 50, 52, 53 are probably some of the nicest for a T@B. The campground is right next to the Visitor's Center and lots of good information about the Redwoods. Be sure to hike in the Rockefeller Grove and get a meal from The Chimney Tree Grill. We loved their Meatloaf Sandwiches.
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options

Also, I believe there are a fair amount of boondocking sites around the Bookcliifs, Grand Mesa, and along the Dolores river near Fruits.

• Options
    Outstanding tips!!!

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    J.D. I also just discovered the James M. Robb Colorado River State Park in Fruits, which has full hook-ups.

• Options
    Wow, Jenn...small world!  I've been thinking about your trip some more, JD.  In the summer of 2013 my son and I did an extensive trip around Colorado & Utah, continuing through Nevada to Northern CA and about midway up the Oregon coast.  So, it was pretty similar for the latter part.  You might consider a stop at Lassen Volcanic National Park.  The Oregon coast is lined with great state parks.  I don't think you can go wrong there.  
  • Options
    Thanks Lisa!

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    rverginiarverginia Member Posts: 21
    Lassen is nice.  Currently camping at the Durango RV resort in Red Bluff,  about an hour from Lassen. Full Hookups, wifi, cable.  $40 a night.  Very nice. 
    Stayed at the Crescent City KOA for the redwoods.  Also about $40 and camped among the redwoods.  Nice
    Bob and Pam, Martha Lake, Washington 2015 T@B Q M@xx PorT@Bella, Mercedes GLK-350, Shitake the Kayak, and our bikes - Chan and trelle.