Options

Black Tank Flush

pamelapamela Member Posts: 11
Hey, all!  We are using our new Tab 400 for the first time and need to "dump" the black water tank. We have a "Black Tank Flush" which is a connection for us to attach a hose and I am assuming that this allows water to flush the tank. We are concerned that it may be unsafe to attach our potable water hose for this purpose as it may be unsanitary but do not have another hose with us at our campsite.  We would love some feed back as to what other people do in this situation.  Is it safe to use the potable water hose? Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited April 2018
    We use separate hoses, different colors and stored separately but that’s with our Outback (Boondock). Now if I can only remember which color is which. Hmmmm. Sometimes the dump station has a non potable hose with decent thread, don’t know if that would work for your flush out. And welcome to the forum! Hope you’re having fun, even with a wrinkle or two like this!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @pamela, the standard solution is two hoses. White or blue for potable water and gray or black hose for the flush hose. Welcome to the forum, the t@b family and congratulations on your trailer! Adventures await. And happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I have 2 sections of garden hose I have cut. I cut each end to about 6’, so I have both a male & female factory connector w/a raw end(2 pieces) this way I can either couple to my potable water hose or use the non potable water source at the dump station.  I do NOT have a 400, but a 320, and have fitted my unit with @Dalehelman’s flush mod, so the raw end of hose works for me.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Most of not all approved dump sites will have a non potable water source available except when freezing conditions exist. Many times the threads are damaged or cut off making it hard to attach the hose. I carry a couple of adapters to solve this problem. I do carry a separate hose as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EDOSKG/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_c_wqLWAb0RRHQ1N
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @pamela, kudos. Congratulations on finding a workable solution. It's all part of the adventure!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    To be contrarian, I usually deal with rinsing and cleaning when I get home. I rinse the tank through the toilet with a garden hose then drain into a bucket and properly dispose of the rinse water.

Not necessarily a better solution, just one that eliminates having to carry another waste hose and having to futz around at a scuzzy crowded dump station. It all depends on what you consider the bigger hassle.

I should note, however, that we've never used our black tank for, um, solids. If we did I might be a bit more particular about rinsing out at the dump station!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Nice suggestion!  I like having that as an option!  We are thinking, like you, of not using the black tank for solids also.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It’s just poop, not nuclear waste.
    I’ve heard you say that before!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,500
    I’m with @Dalehelman on this one. I first decided that I wouldn’t use it for solids. Then on my first outing I had something at the potluck that severely disagreed with me early the next morning. I can’t imagine having been stuck in my tent for an extended period this way, and I was never more grateful for my flushie. Needless to say my liquid only plan went down the tubes. It’s a toilet. Use it! It’s not difficult to maintain, it just forces us to acknowledge our body waste. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Um, I'm perfectly acknowledging of my body waste--thank you very much--but I feel no compulsion to handle it any more than I have to...  :-)

Seriously, I would not hesitate to do whatever in the T@bby loo if necessary. However, there is almost always a perfectly good flush toilet (or at least a roomy outhouse) nearby that serves the purpose just as well. The same can be said for showering. Judicious use of the can saves me water, power, tank space, equipment, and labor, and I get a little exercise strolling the campground!

YMMV, happy crappers... uh, I mean campers.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    How did I know this thread would end up in the toilet? Maybe the OP? I can see Verna charging up her wand as we speak.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    IF it comes out nuclear florescent green, you drank way too many huckleberry daiquiris! ( PLEASE don't ask me how I know THAT!) I've seen this subject come up quite a few times & it raises the question (for me anyway)...why did you buy a T@B with a bathroom if 'ya don't use it? :o Not to mention there ARE those times when the question arises to use the camp facilities....can I REALLY make it in time? :s:o ....just sayin'.... :rofl:=)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Oh, I do use--can't beat having that little closet when nature calls in the wee hours of a cold wet night! The shower is handy, too, when you get to your favorite campground in mid-October and find the gate open but all the help gone and all but the outhouses locked up tight. Uh-oh...

Personally, I think some of you are way to concerned about other people's toileting habits, and maybe even a little defensive about your own.  :-) :-)  You're trolling a biologist here so if you really want to talk about excrement (or any other bodily function) I'm your man!

And if it comes out fluorescent green, maybe it is nuclear waste despite what Dalehelman says. In which case, I'm definitely stickin' to the outhouse!

@pamela, I'll bet you got more info than you bargained on. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your own T@B. You'll figure out what works best for you in short order!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    My magic wand is not messing in this do-do!

(P.S. I rarely use the campground’s facilities, preferring my own little bathroom ;) )
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @ScottG Fluorescent green. That’s exactly why I am not comfortable with public restrooms.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @ScottG thanks. Another item for therapy...or not! :rofl:

@pamela, my apologies for contributing to the hijack of this thread! The 320 S does not have an installed tank flush system. I've been known to carry a bucket of water in the shower to the dump station as I leave the campground to do a second light flush. I've also never had sewage smells in either tank or my dump hose. Good luck learning your 400!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    I confess the "tank flush system" eluded me at first, as the T@B 320 lacks this feature. My friends have one on their <other brand> camper and it is pretty slick. I'd use it if I had it--either at home or at the dump station.

However, coming full circle to the original question, I definitely wouldn't use it with my drinking water hose!  :-p
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    It’s just poop, not nuclear waste.

@ScottG Fluorescent green. That’s exactly why I am not comfortable with public restrooms.
    Oh goodness.  Here, handle some of my "just poop".  Gloves on for BSI please...
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    Thanks, all!  Honestly had a few giggles reading your posts today and really love when people are passionate.  I also love it when people have options so that they can choose best what works for them!  Interestingly, my husband designs water and sewage systems for a living and does need to stress about keeping the systems separate.  It was his concern about my suggestion to use the potable water hose in the black tank flush that encouraged my original post.  He was clearly correct.

Ironically, I am now off to fix my leaking toilet drain pipe (in my house; not my trailer) so I suppose I can never truly escape dealing with our human waste.  Gloves on....
  • Options
    Who else has s box or two of blue nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight in their “sewage care kit”?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @Verna, X2!
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Verna,X3

2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Um.... @Verna... I've never seen them, and have only been to HF twice in my life (sorry to disappoint @ericnliz!) They are probably cheaper there!
  • Options
    Yes, @Homebodyatheart, they are much cheaper, but still a good quality. Sign up for their email list and you will get emails with coupons, with frequent coupons for the medium weight blue nitrile gloves. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks @Verna