Options

Tongue boxes and turning radius?

I'm considering changing out the LP gas/battery cover for a real aluminum diamond-plate tool box for storage on the tongue. I've seen pictures of T@Bs with everything from small boxes (i.e. not much bigger than what's there now) boxes to 60" wide by 18" high by  20" deep: 13 cu. ft of locked storage!

Does a box that's 5' wide interfere with the turning radius? I'd hate to find out after I got it that it crunches into the tow vehicle on tight backing turns? Anybody with a big tongue box had problems? Or positive experience?

And how much weight can be added to the tongue?  I could use some additional weight on the tongue but I could also fill a huge box with a generator, extra gas, extra water and a bunch of tools and easily over do it.

Any thoughts? 

Mitch
Mitch & Cheryl; the Paddlebumz
2015 T@B CS - silver and black..."W@ltzin' M@tilda"

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2015
    As far as backing radius, you probably WILL interfere or impact backing activities if you add a 5' tool box to the tongue of your 2015 T@B unit.  By keeping the front cowling in close to the trailer frame the factory has eliminated or minimized this potential considerably.   The only way to eliminate the issue is to compensate for it either during the build process (via having the frame stretched) or by having a competent and certified welder rework the frame for you.  I discussed this with the factory back in late 2013 and prior to having my 2014 Silver Shadow built down in Sugarcreek.  As a result my frame was custom built to accommodate a tool box and I haven't had any issues with this.  My frame juts out about 56" from the front of my trailer to the front edge of the trailer tongue and from the front of my tool box to the front of the trailer tongue the distance is 3'.   That should give you an idea of what you currently have on your T@B unit......  And according to the factory there is no hard and fast rule on this.  

Your 2001 Toyota Tundra looks to be rated at just over 7000 lbs. GVWR so you should probably not have any issues towing your T@B and with added gear.  Tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of the overall trailer weight.  Here is some good information from ETrailer that will give you some basics for tongue weight:  Determining Tongue Weight  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    sdpaddlebumsdpaddlebum Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Mike
    that's what I was afraid of. I'm not wedded to the 5' box; I have just seen some T@Bs with that size box and wondered about the turning. I do want something bigger, but I guess a 5' box is a bit of overkill.

Mitch
    Mitch & Cheryl; the Paddlebumz
    2015 T@B CS - silver and black..."W@ltzin' M@tilda"

• Options
    ConnieoberoConnieobero Member Posts: 1
    I know this is an old question, but in case someone is researching about this, here's my experience.  I installed an extra large tool box I got used.  It is 61"x22-1/2"x21"
    And it does not affect my turning radius in my 2012 Honda Ridgeline.  From the tongue to the edge of the box, I only have 29-1/2"  and it is enough clearance.  No issues with a complete U-turn.

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    I'll add to this in case it becomes a place readers go looking for information on specific trailer/TV combinations. In this case it's a 2020 T@B 320S and a Jeep Wrangler Sport 2D. The box was a Lund that was advertised as, "this product measures 60-inches (L) by 18.5-inches (W) by 24-inches (H)." It was actually 24" (W) by 18.5" (H) so it was returned, but I took it to the local school parking lot to test it with the box set on the frame. The pictures below shows what it looked like at a full lock turn going forward. Jackknifing while backing up is a whole different story. My concern was more about the box hitting while making a tight u-turn.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I take my Boondock into some pretty knarly situations.  I have gotten close to contact a few times.  I made sure the storage boxes didn’t overhang the BD platform.  I see no need for some of the huge boxes folks put in front.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    I thought about mounting some permanent boxes on the platform next to the main box but then decided against it.  I prefer to have a modular system with mobile boxes.  I have one 8 gallon action packer as a fire box that I strap onto the platform.  Once at camp it is removed and set over by the fire ring.  Holds charcoal, lighter fluid, fire starters and all other things fire/dutch oven related.  I'll either strap firewood to the other side, another action packer or leave it empty.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado