Options

Oddball battery Shuriken SK-MBT-55

The previous owner of my T@B installed this battery.
http://www.shurikenonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17

It's not a cheap battery (~$240) and I'm unclear why he thought it was a good choice.. 
I only just recently realized that it is only a 55ah battery and now I'm wondering if I should replace it with a Group 24 or 27 with a higher amp-hour rating.
I don't have a generator and don't want to buy one. I do have a 100w suitcase solar panel that I've been using to recharge the battery when there is no shore power.

Any thoughts or insights about this battery?

Thanks.

San Francisco Bay Area
2013 CS-S us@gi
Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Marceline, that battery is listed as an AGM (absorbed gas mat). It is totally sealed. It does not off-gas, which means it does not give off toxic fumes, does not have to be vented, could be placed inside the trailer, (wired inside) and needs no maintenance, that is, fluid in the battery cells does not have to be monitered (or added). That may be why it was chosen. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    All I can think of is the prior owner never planned on boondocking, but knew a battery is needed for the emergency electric brakes.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @Marceline Although it your battery is indeed an odd choice for an RV since it's a cranking battery rather than a deep cycle and is only 55aH, you do have the AGM advantage that you can potentially drawdown 80% which is 44aH although doing that often will shorten the life of your battery. If the 12V refrigerator in your CS  draws only 3.2amps (double check that) and you are diligent about using your 100W solar when you are dry camping you may be okay for at least a few days off grid. You probably don't need to run out and replace the battery right away but know that a cranking battery is not designed for frequent discharge and recharge. Replacing that battery is probably in your future although not right away. 

Here's a cool website for general education on RV batteries:
    http://blog.solardealz.com/2016/12/battery-basics-types-of-rv-batteries.html
    especially the section on True Deep Cycle vs Dual Purpose

Happy Trails!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400