Options

Me again. Silly question about the cs bed.

So, I searched and I can’t find the answer, sorry if I am missing it buried in the forums.

We for sure want a 320 CS no extra S but are slightly worried about having to fold up my 5’11” manly man (aka 220lb) husband for the night. The clamshell bed says the bed is 70”x58”. Our queen size bed at home is 58”ish wide so that’s ok but it’s shorter than 70”. But here is the silly part, is 70” from the back to the front? Or from side to side? Get me? Which way do people sleep? I’ve never seen a photo of anyone actually in bed. I figure if we slept back to front he could be on the drivers side and put his extra leg length onto the A/C cabinet. Hahaha he’s going to kill me! Thank you mom and dad for making me 5’4” AND a snuggler.

Thanks for helping the newbie. T@B lover forever but never put this much thought into it.

P.S. since I am ordering and doing a custom fabric, should I split the cushions? I don’t think one person will ever sleep alone in there and it means sleeping side to side and if there are seats to sit in with a “twin” bed out, would I really sit there when I could be outside? Will I regret not splitting? Is the bed that cumbersome to set up with the slats now? Wouldn’t split cushions making sleeping a bit more lumpy and shifty even with a memory foam? So many worries. I want to get it right.
2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

Comments

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    In the CS models you sleep cross cabin. I,e, head under one side window and feet under the other.  The 58 measurement is front to back.  The person sleeping in back has to crawl over the front person to get out of bed.  Also the back person has to contend with the cupboards. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    Huh. Well shoot. I will have to make my husband try to sleep sideways at home and see what happens, see if we could sleep back to front. Hahaha. Poor fella.

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,499
    Colleen, I love my CS but if your husband is 5’11” and 220# you should probably make sure he's going to be able to sleep in there if you don't want to be camping alone.  I think some people have come up with extensions that they have added to make it possible to sleep front-to-back instead of wheel-to-wheel. Hopefully they'll chime in. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    I am not sure nuCamp splits the cushions.  They used to, but I remember a discussion that said they would no longer do that.  If you will not be single camping, there is no point to splitting.  With inclimate weather, if you are both inside, you can just fold the slats back to the rear of the cabin and fold your bedding up on top of the slats and rear seat.  However, the 2 inch memory foam will not be compact and fold well.  We use a mattress pad inside a duvet - more than enough padding and folds compactly as needed.  My husband is 5’ 9” 170# and to make it more comfortable, I made a smaller pillow so that his head is closer to the wall. It helped.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited April 2018
    I’m 6’, 175 lb. at first I was a little grumpy about the bed length, but it does not really bother me too much anymore. 

I usually get up first, so my wife sleeps at the back of the trailer. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    We stopped sleeping wheel well to wheel well on our last trip. I'm 5'7" and am fine with sleeping with my legs slightly bent. For the non-leg bender I think I'm going to get an ottoman, used on the door side, to extend the bed for their legs. We fit everything in the storage that the clamshell has so we don't carry all the plastic tubs that other people do. I would think one or two of those plastic tubs & a cushion could extend the bed for the long-legged person if you were using them. The bed seems so much bigger sleeping in this direction & no one has to climb over the other one. Most importantly, more room for the dogs in the middle!
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • Options
    Yes! What a great idea! You are right, there is already so much storage.

• Options
    Hahahaha and NOW I need a dog!

• Options
    IstokpogaIstokpoga Member Posts: 22
    After many evening debates, the idea of sleeping east/west and one of us climbing over the other during the night is what finally swayed us to the 320 S. It was a tough decision as my wife in particular loves the clamshell. Tough choice. 
    Fred & Victoria with Bichons Venus & Gator; On the shores of Lake Istokpoga, Florida; Tan@Bell@ 2017 Teal & White 320 S towed by a 2004 Nissan Titan and occasionally by GatorRoo, a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6 L 
    "It's great to be a Florida Gator!"
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
  • Options
    Istokpoga, we’ve decided to get the 320U. We recently visited a dealer with a CS and a U side by side and we laid down in both back and forth. We realized one, we aren’t getting any younger and crawling over each other isn’t an option, two we don’t cook that much on the stove or in a kitchen when we camp, and three, the time we do spend in the trailer is sleeping a good sleep so being folded up or unable to stretch out was too much for my 5’11” husband. I am sure we will be happy. We have our fabric headed to NüCamp this week and are asking for the split seat. Thanks for the advice. I think that is a nice feature.