Boondocking in a T@B 400?

WillieontheRoadWillieontheRoad Member Posts: 34
edited April 2018 in Camping & Travel
Need some help from forum friends.  We plan to do some boondocking with our new 400 beginning this summer.
We were first time buyers and should have had these boondocking issues on our list of questions before we purchased.
After camping in our T@B 400 for two months we are now noticing a few things that trouble us.

The following 400 issues may have directed us to look toward other manufacturers...
1)  There is only one inverter plug in the 400.  Not satisfactory for our boondocking.
2)  On battery, the lights and fan works, but what about the AC and heat?  
     The 400 will become very uncomfortable without these functions in summer or colder months.

Perhaps we have not found forum discussions that address these issues.
Hopefully forum members who boondock can help us with the AC and heating systems.
We would like to get one or both systems to work without shore power to make our boondocking comfortable.
Thanks,
Alan, Joan and Willie

2018 T@B 400  Jeep GC
Alan & Joan Fisher
Austin, TX

Comments

• ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @WillieontheRoad , regarding your AC: your AC will not work without shore power or a generator. Here is a post on running a T@B 400's AC with one of the new Honda 2000i generators. http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/90523#Comment_90523

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I don’t know of any RV that will run an A/C off of batteries.  You would need shore power or a generator to run your A/C for any length of time.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • traceratopstraceratops Member Posts: 5

The heat works with propane. We just used it this weekend while boondocking in our T@b 400.

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    What appliances are you hoping to run off your inverter while boondocking? Your inverter draws power from your battery, and depending on what you have plugged in, it can draw that power down pretty quickly. Once your battery is depleted you will need an external means of recharging it before any of your devices or appliances will continue to operate.

I agree with earlier comments regarding A/C and heat. The Alde boiler will run fine on 12V and propane. However, A/C ain't happening without AC!

I don't think these are shortcomings specific to the T@B 400.
    2015 T@B S
  • WillieontheRoadWillieontheRoad Member Posts: 34
    Thanks to all the T@B Forum friends.  Your suggestions have really helped. I guess that we have stayed in too many cushy campsites and have gotten spoiled with electric, water and hookups.  It's time for us to start thinking out of the box if we want to start taking Willie boondocking.
    Alan, Joan and Willie

2018 T@B 400  Jeep GC
    Alan & Joan Fisher
    Austin, TX
  • bigbus01bigbus01 Member Posts: 10
    We have boondocked a number of times with our 400.  We have the inverter and the solar panels built in.  I have run a coffee pot off the inverter a number of times and it does bring the battery down a bit (running a couple of pots might bring it down 1/3 on the gauge) but the solar panels more than make up for it.  I have not run my microwave on it yet but it should work fine.  We also run the fridge full time and it really doesn't affect the battery.  

The Alde does fine on propane but it is slow bringing the camper up to  temperature.  Once its up, it works well.  

The only way for AC is with a generator or shore power. 

Mark
    edited April 2018
    You can do it, @WillieontheRoad! I usually camp without hookups and still get along quite comfortably. You do have to be a little more cognizant of your power supply and usage, but it's well worth it to get out the "trailer park" and enjoy a little more nature.

Lots of good info here on the forum from members who boondock/dry camp all the time--get reading!  
    2015 T@B S
  • SeehuesliSeehuesli Member Posts: 4
    We dry camp a lot and never use the inverter. Everything we use runs on 12V or is USB chargeable. The only time I miss shore power is when I need to dry my hair. But microfiber towels and the nature are doing the job too. 
    T@b 400 our TV is a Touareg
    Oliver & Melanie, Los Angeles, CA
    Happy camping!