Options

Faucet “washer” replacement?

This plastic thing that is supposed to seal between the faucet and the counter has gotten damaged. Any ideas what to use for a replacement? Just glob some caulk in there? I’ve loosened the nut underneath and can raise the faucet about a quarter inch. Will replace the faucet at some point but was not planning to do it now. 
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited April 2018
    I assume this seal is just to keep splash water from dribbling down into the cabinet below the sink.

Caulk would probably work, but a little plumber's putty might be easier and less messy (especially if you plan to remove it later). If you can raise the faucet up 1/4" you can work a little snake of it into a ring around the edge. It will squash down when you tighten things back up, and the excess can be easily trimmed.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    The putty sounds like it will work, thanks!
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Plumbers putty is not for plastics. Won't stick. Just take the old one to Ace and get another o ring to put in the groove. Might need to disconnect the water lines and fully remove the faucet to do it.

2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    It looks like the water lines are crimped on and would have to be cut, so I need a solution that doesn’t require removing the faucet,
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    They should just unscrew under the sink.

2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @Photomom, here is a post where @HR_Taly replaced the original T@B faucet and describes how it was removed. https://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/6335/kitchen-faucet-replacement-t-b-320-s

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Given HR_Taly's experience with those cheesy connectors, I wouldn't be inclined to stress them much unless you are prepared to replace the entire faucet on the spot. (Which, given HR_Taly's excellent instructional write up, might be your best choice!)

I think you can get plumber's putty indicated for use with plastic. As RollingBnB indicated, it may not stick well. Another option might be to get a sheet of gasket material and cut yourself a nice wide washer to fit under there. You'd have to slice it to fit it around the pipe, but--since this is really only for splash and maybe vibration protection--it doesn't need to be a 100% perfect seal.

Back to your original idea--silicone caulk would also do the job nicely, but might be difficult to remove and clean up when you decide to change the faucet out for real. 

2015 T@B S