Options

Insulation needed for 400 Tab

redshadowredshadow Member Posts: 7
Help, I am in Nevada in the desert for May. It is getting to be 100 degrees. By 1 pm, inside the Tab reaches 95 degrees. Someone suggected getting a roll of reflective and cut to fit the windows, but only brought it down to 85 degrees. Is there something better to help insulate the windows on the 400 to keep heat coming in the windows? The metal on the shades is very hot to touch with the sun beating down on the windows. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited May 2018
    To clarify-you are boondocking, or otherwise have no electricity nor a generator to run AC? People make shades for their windows-no help for you now, and some have used a yard canopy to place over their trailers to provide shade. Hopefully someone else will have better ideas.

At the least, I hope you have plenty of water so you won’t get thoroughly dehydrated.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    These are good ideas. I am hook up to shore power but the AC doesn’t keep it cool during the hottest hours due to heat coming thru windows. I have reflective shields but it doesn’t seem enough. I will definitely look into those suggestions. Thank you.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    TabAZ recently posted a nice canopy to shield his Tab from the Arizona sun.  Since you are in one place for the month, that may be doable.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Do you close your blinds?  That helps with the solar oven effect of the bubble windows.
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Yes, closed all blinds, added the silver reflective cut to fit windows. That dropped it down to 85 degrees. I’m now going to double the silver reflective to the windows. I did the front dinette window, and it dropped the temp to 79 degrees. The awnings would be hard for me by myself to put up that’s made for the 400. Everything I have read, it takes two people to put awnings up. I’m not handy enough to make something that goes over it.
  • Options
    Did you make sure your Alde heat was off or set very low?  The Cool Cat should have no problem cooling your trailer in 90+ degree weather. I have the Paha Que awning, it shades the side, easy for one person to put up in less than 5 minutes! Thinking about getting another awning to go on the bathroom side of the t@b.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Check out sprintervanshop on etsy, does custom window insulation panels. Let us know what you learn.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    You could also consider installing the PahaQue awning on the door side, and the PahaQue XL visor on the opposite side. It reminds people of "The Flying Nun," but oh well.
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    I think the 400 is too tall for placing a pop up canopy over it like I've done with my 320S. Those cloth outside window coverings would help some. Are you close to a home improvement store, or could have insulation with a higher rating shipped to the local P.O.? Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    I’ll look into a higher rating insulation, and once my house sells which will be soon, I’ll look into the custom window panels on Etsy. I’ll look again on the PahaQue awning for the 400. I got to become more savvy if going full time. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. They have been awesome .
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BwvgYQjCC1E
    I think this could be helpful 
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BwvgYQjCC1E
    I think this could be helpful 
    Now something like this looks very doable gor a T@b.  It could be hooked onto the handles at all four corners.  Pahaque should be jumping on this!
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    You can also just put a canopy up on blocks or a piece of PVC to elevate it over the Tab.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio