Options

True RMS AC/DC Current Clamp Meter

So, as the title suggests, I am looking for a current clamp meter so I do not have to break into circuits with my multimeter to check current draw. I am looking for a true RMS meter that will measure both AC and DC currents with good accuracy in the mA range, with a max up to about 60 A. I am hoping to keep costs down around $100 , but am not finding much in this range that is true rms and measures AC and DC currents. I don't need a bunch of additional functionality, as I have a good multimeter.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am aware of the fuse adapters that plug into multimeters, but would prefer a clamp meter for more flexibility.

Thanks,
Marc
Marc and Angie in Burlington, NC. 2018 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 320 S Max

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Not as precise, but I used a fuse buddy to get a fairly good read on power draw.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SubismSubism Member Posts: 38
    @jkjenn : thanks, but was wanting to stay away from the fuse buddy since you can still only check current in systems without fuses by breaking into the circuit and with a clamp meter I can put it on the (+) battery cable and check all loads at one time (though I guess this would have been possible on the T@b with the fuse buddy by replacing the fuse on the battery cable).

Searching further I was able to find a great deal on an Extech EX613 clamp meter with good accuracy (+/- 1.5% of reading + 5 digits, so ~50 mA). From reviews the readings can be slow to display, but it has a fast peak hold for inrush current and LRA readings on motors and compressors and I got it for about 1/3 the price of a Fluke with comparable features. If I were to be using this daily I could justify spending more, but for hobbies it is hard to do.

Marc
    Marc and Angie in Burlington, NC. 2018 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 320 S Max
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Cool. It is something I would love to have, but they are pricey!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SubismSubism Member Posts: 38
    Got it for $135 on sale and it has all the traditional multimeter functions too. Still pricey, but very useful and flexible. There are cheaper models that still have the true RMS function, AC/DC current capability and good accuracy, but not much cheaper ($80-$100).