Options

screen door

What are the options for screen doors? we have a 2007 T@b and the screen door is non functioning. I talked to an RV person who said there was a door that screws on . Its a rectangular door and attaches easily. Has anyone used one on their T@B?

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Check out this recent discussion.

I'm pretty sure @Me_and_My_Dog installed the newer screen door on their 2007. Maybe they could offer some tips. There might even be another earlier discussion on the topic.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Have you considered a direct replacement or f the hideaway screen that comes on the newer T@Bs?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    I did install the hideaway screen I bought from nuCamp in my 2007 T@B. I used it and loved it for 10 months of full-time camping. However, a string on the bottom has broken and made the door pretty much useless. I'm toying with either figuring it out and fixing it (not my strong suit), or buying a new door from nuCamp, who offered me a discount for the replacement door. Buying the new door would be easy for me. Installing it, not so much. But I do have an RV mechanic in the family. There is a 100% chance that one or the other—fix or replace—will happen. The screen door is a game changer.
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    ScottG said:

I'm pretty sure @Me_and_My_Dog installed the newer screen door on their 2007. Maybe they could offer some tips. There might even be another earlier discussion on the topic.
    Yes! My comment posted above.
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options

ScottG said:

Maybe they could offer some tips. 
    The dog offered no help. All she knows is that when she wants to enter or exit the T@B, the screen door opens.  =)=)=)
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I’m considering using Velcro to hang one of these magnetic mesh screens from a dowel above the door of our T@B, and simply rolling it up and stowing while traveling. The boys exit and enter our patio thru one of these 8-9 months a year.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Twojgrams, do you not have the hideaway door on your 2015?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sure do, and it works fine, but I tend to be v e r y careful opening and closing the door to keep it that way. Being impatient, that’s a pain-would prefer to be able to just push on through.

• Options
    Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    We have a 2007 DM T@B too and I agree, the screen door that came with it is useless.  I found out you can buy the new screen door from nuCamp for $140 (approx) but the mechanic working on our T@B said it would be very difficult to install so we gave up.  Now I'm reconsidering it as various people have said it is not really too difficult.  
  • Options
    I have no first hand experience here, but I vaguely recall (i.e. I could very well be completely wrong...) something about the rightmost front cabinet door needing to be moved or trimmed or something, as the new screen frame will impede its opening once installed. Other than that, I think it's just matter of attaching the frame securely to the wall around the door and I'm not sure why that would pose any particular challenges.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I installed the NuCamp screen door on my 2007 Clamshell. I had to move the upper cabinet doors over a bit, but other than that, easy, peasy. Two screws in the floor, two screws in the top corners. (I was unable to install the side plates that come with it.)

I tried a Magic Mesh screen for a few years before getting the NuCamp door. It worked well enough, but got to be a pain. It doesn't "close" automatically like advertised, and messing with it each and every time I exited or entered the camper was a pain, especially packing and unpacking. It just got in the way. When the NuCamp screen is open, it is open and out of the way.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2018
    jgram2 said:
    I’m considering using Velcro to hang one of these magnetic mesh screens from a dowel above the door of our T@B, and simply rolling it up and stowing while traveling. The boys exit and enter our patio thru one of these 8-9 months a year.
    I've been thinking the same thing. I think the hideaway screen door will not last long with my dog. She is use to the one that you mention. Did you try it yet? If so do you have photos of how you hung it? I'm thinking just velcro along the top, and also slightly down side at top would do the trick. And such a small opening, just use one of the mesh panels, unless there a double mesh screen out there like your image, with a really small width.
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @SueBC Nope. Our summer camping plans were rudely interrupted by unforeseen complications, so we didn’t camp in bug season.  Since the door is about 19” wide and the screen we use at home is 20” per panel, I was thinking about either cutting it in half or cutting both panels to size and searing the cut edges to prevent raveling. If you give it a try, let me know how it works for your pup. It took us 3 weeks to teach our rescue labradoodle to push through it, so I thought it would be easier for him if it required the same effort camping than pushing through one side. We might never get him in. He’s just a leetle slow, sigh.

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited November 2018
    jgram2 said:
    I have a 2013 CS-S that came with a screen that is Velcro'd in place with a zipper down the middle.
    I hated the zipper. I bought a Magic Mesh knock-off and using the original zippered screen as a pattern I cut it down to fit the T@B doorway. I then added the sticky side of the Velcro so that I can attach it using the existing fuzzy Velcro on the doorway. I've only used it one long weekend, but it seems to work fairly well. It actually self closes better than I expected.  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab