Options

Generators

Looking to pick up one of these little guys for the T@B that I hopefully will pick up next week. The one I'm looking at doesn't have a fridge so less draw but I may add a fridge at some time. One of the reviews is from a T@B owner so I thought that was pretty interesting.

https://www.costco.com/.product.1146127.html

Comments

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Which a/c unit does it have?
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Keep in mind it is not a Yamaha generator. It is a generator powered by a Yamaha engine. I make know judgment just think you should be aware. Do a comparison of the two there are some differences other than price.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
    It has the three speed 500 BTU unit. I also have no TV or stereo and all LED lighting. 
  • Options
    Thinking of going with this instead but it may be overkill. 

https://www.costco.com/.product.1058626.html
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    edited May 2018
    Way overkill. 2000w is more than enough. Plus it's 40 lbs heavier.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    Ended up ordering the Yamaha powered unit from Costco. Costco doubles the warranty if you use their card so 4 year warranty not to mention their "satisfaction guaranteed" return policy which essentially gives you an unlimited warranty.

I hope it gets in in time for our maiden voyage this weekend.
  • Options
    CoriJCoriJ Member Posts: 18
    Let me know how it works!  I have a new TAB 2018 320 Boondock.  Looking for a generator..  
  • Options
    Seems to work just fine! I had also purchased the Roybi from Home Depot which was nice as it has an app that you can use to reset, shut down, or watch your power consumption. It was also slightly quieter but had more of a metallic sound. Also, the pull-out handle rattles when it is running which can be a pit annoying if you don't find the right position for it to not rattle. I returned it because I thought it was defective as I had a floating ground that would make it shut down.

I received the Yamaha powered unit the next day, slightly louder but IMO a more pleasant sound. Had the same floating ground issue which I didn't have to do anything to fix as the Yamaha has an RV specific outlet and adapter. Plugged into that and it runs like a champ. The fuel gauge is manual and there is no fancy app but I honestly think that makes one less thing to fail. It powered the T@B running the AC for a couple hours sitting in my driveway. I have yet to take it camping as it came in after my trip. Other thing I like about the Yamaha is that is seems more weather proof and it has a shut off on the fuel tank so that it doesn't vent. The Roybi claims an auto shutoff (one more thing to fail) but when we got to the camp site and pulled it out of the trailer, we did have to ventilate as it smelled like fuel.
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for your write-up.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    danp212danp212 Member Posts: 44
    I have a modified Honda EU2000 that runs on propane, which has been an absolutely amazing experience thus far when I have needed to pull out the generator. The propane for me is really a game changer for multiple reasons I thought might be worth sharing, for those interested in purchasing a new generator to use with their T@B like I have.

Here are the advantages I have personally experienced using propane generator over gas:

No hauling/refilling smelly gas cans (which can get messy at times).

Propane burns extremely clean and the generator does not have that typical "exhaust" smell after use, therefore I have no problems storing it in the T@B when transporting, or in the tow vehicle when camping. 

No issues with long periods of generator inactivity: Gas deteriorates over time and you need to be diligent of keeping your carburetor and fuel lines clean. Also gas has limited storage life in your garage, where propane has unlimited shelf life.

Always have propane on hand: I have a split propane valve attached to the tank on the T@B, so I can always plug into that source. However we typically do all our cooking outside with a Camp Chef stove, so I always have an extra tank to use for the genny if needed. 

There are only really 2 downsides in my eyes, one is the cost (the conversion kit was $299 on top of the cost of a brand new generator). Second is that propane is a bit less efficient compare to gasoline, something along the lines of 10-15% overall. However the benefits I listed above completely outweigh the cost and fuel efficiency difference to me and it has been a very positive investment.
    2017 T@B Max S
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @danp212 have you run your propane generator in colder temps? I was wondering if the tank frosts over. How long does your genny run on a 20# propane tank?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    robptrobpt Member Posts: 90
    @danp212, that is exactly what I want to do with my Yamaha es2000isv2 - that, and put an Easy Start on the air unit of my 400 so I can run it off of one easy to carry generator. I understand there is a slight drop in efficiency with propane, so I wonder if that would hinder my Easy Start plans. Right now, I have to generators to run in parallel, but I would like to whittle that down to one.

I too have a Camp Chef, so it would be 2, 20lb. propane tanks if I went this route. I have gotten too addicted to cooking on the Camp Chef outside of the camper. 
    North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier
  • Options
    dsfdogs said:
    @maddmike what year/model is your T@B? 
    Does a manual gas gauge mean you take off the cap and peer into the tank?
    Thanks for your write-up.
    I have a '17 CS.

No, a manual gas gauge I was referring to should maybe be called a physical gauge as it it a float that moves a gauge that you can see on the top of the unit vs an app that you see on your phone.
  • Options
    danp212danp212 Member Posts: 44
    @Ratkity Hard to answer about the cold temperatures, as I have not used the genny in very cold environments as I live on the west coast. I did manage to find a chart stating once you get below freezing you end up using a bit more fuel to produce the same power output. 

Regarding run times using a 20lb propane tank, a 400w average load should run for 28 hours as specified by the manufacturer, I haven't tested this figure yet really since I combine tank use with my outdoor stove. With 800w avg. load the rating goes down to 22 hours. Another big advantage with this setup is not having to refuel as often using the stock gas tank (which holds a little less than a gallon). 

Given there are 4.7 gallons in a 20lb tank, that should equate to roughly 6 hours per gallon of propane with a 400w average load. 

@robpt The drop in efficiency vs. gasoline only really affects how much fuel is needed to power the generator over time, comparing 1 gallon of propane vs. 1 gallon of gasoline. It should not affect how much power the generator is capable of outputting. This is my understanding after lots of research, however I can't say with 100% confidence, but I am fairly certain of this. I am using a conversion kit from a reputable manufacturer that has a lot of positive customer reviews over the years. Since you would likely be purchasing a kit specifically designed for your genny, I would contact the kit manufacturer first to be certain there is no possible drop in power output. 

2017 T@B Max S
  • Options
    For those looking for a propane/gas hybrid, I had previously posed this one from Costco. 

https://m.costco.com/.product.1058626.html
  • Options
    @danp212 Thank you so much for the information! I have an expansion gas tank made specifically for my generator (honda 2000i). It holds 5 gallons and would let the camper AC run overnight. The 2000i only has a 0.4 gal gas tank.

I often carry a spare 20# tank and use it for the Little Red Campfire. With a truck, it's not a big deal to put an extra tank in the bed of the truck. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Well, just to add my one cents worth, because it’s not worth two cents, we purchased the Yamaha almost two years ago, and have yet to use it.  My wife wanted it so we’d always have AC, but all our campsites we’ve been to, didn’t allow them.  Ratkity’s comment on duration for that was food for thought....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    The times I've used mine haven't been at campsites open to the public, but at private land a friend owns. The only reason I used it is because the temps were low and I was using the furnace a lot. I ran it during the day when we all were away from the property to add a bit of charge to the battery and run the frig and furnace on electric.

I didn't run it at night as to not disturb my friends. The generator ran in eco mode for over 12 hours and still had gasoline. I wouldn't have that same luck with an AC! I think I calculated 4 hours for the T@B. I don't think it'll run the toy hauler AC at all.