Options

Help! Is this a normal looking axle?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    tabiphile said:
    you don't want to overdo it and blow the bearing seals.
    On a related note...

How does one know if one has blown a seal when re-greasing via the EZ Lube? Does grease start coming out somewhere other than the front of the hub around the zerk fitting?

2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2018
    I seem to remember, on one of my old VW Beetles, that the wheel bearing cap had a grease zerk sticking out of it that you could use to pump grease directly into the wheel hub cavity. Maybe the person that installed that grease zerk on FreshAir's axle thought it might work the same way.

It really doesn't make any sense though! I'm curious to know where the grease ends up when you squirt it into that zerk.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    If a seal is blown, the grease is not retained in the races...instead of being pushed into the bearing it will escape wherever it can go..with EZ lube...I'm not sure how you would identify that.
    One more point related to the wheel/axle service should be considered. At the same time that the bearings are checked annually (or @ 12K) the brakes should also be inspected. The EZ Lube makes it possible for almost anyone to lube the bearings, but it does not address the need for regular brake inspection. We should all aspire to doing our own service and learning how to "wrench" is a nice part of the T@B experience.... but if your skillset does not include inspecting brakes you may be better off leaving axle service to your mechanic. The greasing is the easier one of the two...
  • Options
    FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    @tabiphile, Amen brother!
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    ScottG said:
    tabiphile said:
    you don't want to overdo it and blow the bearing seals.
    On a related note...

How does one know if one has blown a seal when re-greasing via the EZ Lube? Does grease start coming out somewhere other than the front of the hub around the zerk fitting?

Grease will pass by the axle seal.  You would need to remove the wheel and then use a flashlight to look between the brake drum and backing plate.  If grease passes by the seal you would see it squishing into that gap.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S