Options

Looking for bedding solutions

This forum has been so helpful so far, I thought I'd go ahead and ask yet another question! We camped in our T@B for the first time this weekend, and although we slept fairly comfortably, we think we'd like to utilize some sort of mattress pad or topper. In looking around for one, there are so many choices! Just wondering what's worked best for any of you who have one? We'd like to be able to roll it up and stash it behind the seats during the day, so we are not sure how thick of a topper would allow for that.  Also, many reviews of the memory foam toppers say that they are hot to sleep on. Have any of you found one that this is not a problem for? (We sleep back to front with the whole bed made out in a 2017 T@B 320s) TIA for any advice you have on this!
2017 T@B 320 S
TV 2012 Honda Odyssey/2018 Toyota Tacoma

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love my LL Bean 3” Camp Futon self-inflating mattress. I fold it in half, fully inflated, secured by a huge rubber band, in the morning and stick it behind the sofa back. It is still fully inflated in the evening when I make the bed for sleeping. You can deflate it the mornings if you want it to be a smaller package. 

I realize you are two people, but have a look at it. I found it was warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer than a memory foam mattress. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    We use 2" memory foam cut to fit, with a sheet and comforter as a blanket.  We simply roll it up and secure it with three nylon buckle straps, then toss it behind the back seat when not in use.  Works perfect!  You could go thicker than 2" but it will start to get a little unwieldy.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    We found the cushions to be very comfortable.  We made a duvet out of flat sheets and sandwiched a thicker mattress pad in between the sheets.  Easy to fold/ roll and move.  Not hot, easily washable and the sheets stay in place without need to tuck in the edges.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    I purchased two twin sized Black Lable PrimaLoft fiber beds from the Company store.  The bedding is 4" thick,  light weight, easily compresses in length or width to fit an area that is slightly smaller than the twin size.  If I travel solo, I bring along one.  If I'm traveling with two, I bring both.  I bought a king size duvet cover on sale and cut it up to make two duvet covers and two pillowcases. They also easily store behind the bench.  It is the least expensive option, but I have been very pleased with it.
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    Make that NOT the least expensive option!

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Freshaire said:
    I purchased two twin sized Black Lable PrimaLoft fiber beds from the Company store.  The bedding is 4" thick,  light weight, easily compresses in length or width to fit an area that is slightly smaller than the twin size.  If I travel solo, I bring along one.  If I'm traveling with two, I bring both.  I bought a king size duvet cover on sale and cut it up to make two duvet covers and two pillowcases. They also easily store behind the bench.  It is the least expensive option, but I have been very pleased with it.
    I love The Company Store's Primaloft beds. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    krozanski7krozanski7 Member Posts: 4
    Hello Freshaire, we’re interested in the Company Store Primaloft fiber bed. Do you roll it up during the day or leave the bed set up? We wonder if it rolls up easily. Thanks!
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2018
    We use an 'organic' latex 2"foam topper, mainly to avoid the off-gassing of the synthetic ones. It doesn't seem to be hot to sleep on, and we haven't tried it in the winter yet to know how long it takes to warm up. ('They' say the latex foam is not hot like the synthetic is...)

We purchased a California-king size topper, trimmed the length, then cut it in half, to have separate mattresses (for ease of handling). We found a couple of nice quality 400-count cotton zip-on mattress covers, which act as our bottom sheets. There are mattress pads in there too. Then we use regular flat sheets and blankets and comforters on top. Cozy.

To stow them, they're folded lengthwise, then stacked on top of each other in the back, strapped once, and become the back of the rear couch to lean against. Too bulky to stuff behind the couch.

From reading, I get the impression that this latex topper is heavier than the synthetic ones, but I've never tried a synthetic.

We love it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    GidgetGidget Member Posts: 64
    I bought this down alternative topper that is heavenly! It's 2" thick, not overly heavy so one person can handle it and it folds up nicely for storing behind the bed/sofa back. I also just bought this comforter, too, which I'm chomping at the bit to get. Sleep was the number one reason I bought Gizmo (320s) over the 320 CS... i just didn't think the dinette layout would be the most comfortable plus, you really couldn't "put your feet up" like you can with the sofa back of the 320s. Anyway, hope these two pieces help someone else looking for comfort.

Look out open road, here we come!!! Me, my Gracie May, a 2YO Beaweenie; half Beagle, half Dachshund, Dash, the 2015 Kia Sorento LX V6, Gidget, the 2018 nüCamp 320s!

Places Visited Map
  • Options

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    EmergencyKenEmergencyKen Member Posts: 29
    Gidget said:
    I bought this down alternative topper that is heavenly! It's 2" thick, not overly heavy so one person can handle it and it folds up nicely for storing behind the bed/sofa back. I also just bought this comforter, too, which I'm chomping at the bit to get. Sleep was the number one reason I bought Gizmo (320s) over the 320 CS... i just didn't think the dinette layout would be the most comfortable plus, you really couldn't "put your feet up" like you can with the sofa back of the 320s. Anyway, hope these two pieces help someone else looking for comfort.
    hey @Gidget, how does this mattress topper work out for you.  It looks amazing. How does it fit? Do you just let the extra hang over the end? Tuck it? 
    Cleveland, OH
    2018 Tab 400 
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Husband, Nurse, Hufflepuff