Options

Nova Scotia Recommendations

This discussion was created from comments split from: Help! Is this a normal looking axle?.

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    I highly recommend   http://baddeckcabottrailcampground.com/
    A nice central location on Cape Breton.  Very friendly family run campground with a wide variety of sites.
    Have fun!

• Options
    FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    @rfuss928, thanks for the recommendation.  I will  be sure to check it out!
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    I recomend MeatCove campground.  The view is just awsome.  But you can not make reservation.  They also have a chounder hut.

Lunenburgh has a small intown campground.  Not a 5 star, but clean and only a few minutes walking distance from the piers and downtown.  We where in the lower back sites.

on the north side on the Island (cape breton), the Mccloud family camp ground have an very nice private beach.  We were in lower sites, closer to the beach.  No service, but did not had the feeling we were in a parking lot with the big rigs.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    @Luckyj. . . .thanks for the recommendations.  I had MeatCove on my radar and can't wait to get there.  I will  definitely check out your other recommendations as my planning for other specifics has been sparce.
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    Do not know if you travel with a dog, but Nova Scotia was amazing to us and our dog.  Can bring it almost anywhere, even most beach were accesibles to them.

You have to add Forteresse de Louisbourgh as well.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited May 2018
    I split this one out as it merits its own thread. We visited Cape Breton and the Sunrise Coast a few years ago, but would love to explore NS more--next time with the T@B! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    xboooooxbooooo Member Posts: 33

Picture from Meat Cove, out there away from everything. 
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Looks like a great place. Hopefully on the bucket list. Any info on the origin of the name? Wikipedia was of no help.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    ClopidogrelClopidogrel Member Posts: 33
    We spend 14 days last year, probably the best camping experience we add so far.

Laurie Provincial park, 20 minutes from Halifax.

If you like seafood, "Charlene's Bayside Restaurant". Doesn't look like a great restaurant  from the outside, but give it a try. You gotta Eat Here

Louisbourg fortress is a must see. Downtown Halifax too. Park you're car at Darmouth and take the ferry to downtown Halifax
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    @Travelin3D, we asked one of the Park naturalists about the name, and she didn't have a definitive answer. Mentioned a couple of possibilities, but I can't recall the details now. Perhaps someone from the area can help. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    From the web: It was [named] by Europeans back probably in the 1700s. They would come in here and do a slaughter (of moose, deer and bear). They were more interested in the hides and antlers as opposed to the meat. There are several articles; I didn’t dig deep.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Another suggestion:
    The name Meat Cove probably comes from when fishing fleets used the natural protected cove to come ashore and hunt moose to replenish their supplies. The name Meat Cove, came from the smell of cooking meat that sailors could catch down wind as they approached the cove from many miles away. The cove was a place to lay away and hunt and get fresh water before sailing on. (Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_Cove,_Nova_Scotia)
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    FiddlerjoebobFiddlerjoebob Member Posts: 6
    That's me jumping for joy at White Point, Cape Breton.  My advice, bring a fiddle and stay all summer.  Ahhhh
    2015 T@B 320Q
    2009 VW Touareg
    Two Fiddles
    One Bicycle
    One sewing machine
  • Options
    OMG! Can't even see the trampoline :smiley:
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    Meat cove is not in the Capebreton highland national park, so for any reason, the park people are not the much i to giving to much info on the cove.  We even got the info that it was really not worth the drive.  So wrong on this one.  But do not expect a 5 star experience.  The people are great, but if you like clean sparkling shower and rest rooms, this is not for you.  Not that they are not clean, more that it is painted plywood and rubber mats of painted ply wood floor.  But water is hot.  And the view and walking trails are supposed to be very nice.  We did not have the time for the trails.

• Options
    RollingztoneRollingztone Member Posts: 31
    We drove to Meat Cove last summer in early August.  We were camping at Ingonish Beach Campground in Cape Breton Highlands National Park. The road to Meat Cove is absolutely amazing. When we got there, the place was full and so crowded we could barely turn the truck around by the store/office. If we had been pulling our T@B, we probably would have had to disconnect to turn around. We thoroughly enjoyed Ingonish Beach Campground. We swan in the ocean, and a fresh water lake a few feet from the ocean and took our canoe for a paddle in the lake on another day. I think my favorite place in Nova Scotia was Kejimkujik National Park. If you are a canoer or kyaker, the place is outstanding.
    2018 T@B Boondock Edition. 2008 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4X4 5.3L V8. (2) BB 100Ah LiFePo4. Charlotte, NC