PahaQue Tent Room Issue

After looking around at options, we decided that the PahaQue side tent room would be our best solution for adding some space to our camping set up. It is expensive, but we had seen lots of user testimonials that made us feel confident with the purchase. We opted to purchase on Amazon for quick shipping -- and the seller listed is PahaQue, so we felt secure purchasing the product from the company that says they will guarantee their product. We received the tent last week and decided to try it out, just in our driveway, so we would have some experience with setting it up before actually camping with it. After setting it up, we were a bit concerned about how it would hold up in rain - it seemed that the roof would be very susceptible to water pooling, causing major sagging. We began looking around specifically for this issue and how users have handled it. Our results were not great -- many people said that yes, this is a major problem/flaw in the tent and that now PahaQue is making the tent with pockets and a pole to help with the pooling. As I said before, we just purchased this last week -- so we thought we were getting the newest, most updated product -- this does not seem to be the case, however. We called the company and found that if we want the version of the tent with the pole/pockets, it would cost over $700!! The only other option they could give us was to send the product back to them (with US having to pay the shipping both ways), and they would add the pockets/pole for another $50. Am I the only one who sees this as absurd?? We had no way of knowing about this product flaw or that we would have to pay even more than the already high price to have a "fix" applied. I think what makes this even worse, is the way the people at the company spoke to my husband on the phone! They were very rude and not willing to offer any other assistance. Call me crazy....but a company who realizes their product has a major flaw such as this one, should offer to make it right to the consumers who have placed their faith (and a hefty amount of money) into their product. For those of you out there with this product....is this as much of an issue as we are thinking it is? Would you purchase the product again, knowing what you know now after actually using the tent? Have you dealt with this company personally? Were they at all helpful (and maybe we just got unlucky with the person on the other end of the phone this time)? This is all very disappointing to us...and as new T@B campers, it has cast a bit of a shadow. Sorry for the rant...
2017 T@B 320 S
TV 2012 Honda Odyssey/2018 Toyota Tacoma

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Last year someone mentioned the pole/pocket design, but no pics.  I would like to see comments regarding the new design and how it holds up with rain.

We have the style that sags with rain.  Easy fix.  DH created 2 supports out of pvc that we use with an adjustable tent pole.  Works well!  We love the side tent.  Pahaque is currently making a new skirt for us as the included skirt did not fit well.  Our tent was purchased on sale as a floor model and we may have received an S model skirt.  Hard to tell.  Pahaque said our dimensions forward of the fender were different.  Hmmm.  I plan to do some comparing at uCamp.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    We have the pole/pocket version. It is not that much better IMHO. I think that we will be modifying ours by sewing in pockets to allow adding crossed poles to create a peak. Overall, it is a reasonably well made product in a brutally small market.

I will post pictures and details when the mod is complete.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I have the pole pocket version as well.  We had it set up for 3 days of driving wind & rain in the outter banks last winter. Considering 30 mph steady wind, it held up ok.  The out riggers need to be pulled tight, and the tent floor squared. I have also since seamsealed the unsealed seams(most are).

i have spent 30 years tent camping; back country.  I have had several different 4 season tents over the years, and even they will leak some.  Nothing that is exposed to the elements that is soft walled is perfect, imho. They all require maintenance and proper setup.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Silver320Silver320 Member Posts: 30
    @GATabber - see my DM.   I've worked with Pahaque on a couple issues with the side tent and had both the old style and the new style.  The workmanship and materials on the new style are much better and worth the upgrade even if it is more $$.   

2017 T@B Max S (Silver-Silver), TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    States Visited Map