Options

Bad coaxel Television cable

I've confirmed the coax cable from the outside port to the television has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Has anyone done this? Is it as simple as connecting the new cable to the end of the bad cable then fishing it through the wall? I have access to the old cable near the floor in the shower wall (below the television).
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Search “broken HDMI” for someone’s recent experience replacing a cable on a 400.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Tabaz, I thought at one time my coax was bad, but further investigation proved it was a broken circuit board in the TV where the coax connected. 

But anyway, I did remove the coax connector on the outside of the bathroom and I felt the coax was held in place in the wall by a clamp or tie wrapped to a bundle of wires. It seemed to be loose under the shower floor, but not in wall.

I felt the best way to replace the wiring was to simply abandon the original coax, leave the old connection on the outside, drill a new hole in the side of the T@B through the 2x4 in the wall next to the water pipes for the shower.  Then put a new coax connector on the outside.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356

While working in the driver's side pedestal one day, I noticed a very bad kink in the cable made during its installation.  Did the best I could to straighten it, but now my TailGator dish will not work when I use it.  The dish works fine when I run the cable directly from the dish to the Wally, so I assume the factory cable has given up the ghost.  Verna - please post a photo of the new cable port location.  I would hate to drill into one of the aluminum supports in the side wall.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Tabaz, I did not have to replace my coax.  

Here is how I would install a new coax and connector: Remove the panel that covers up the vertical red and blue shower pipes. You can see the red and blue pipes going upward on the left of this photo. You cannot see the 2x4 that is next to the outside wall in this photo.

I would drill straight out through the 2x4 (measure twice to make sure you know where you will come out).  If you see any screws in the 2x4 that would indicate they are screwed to an aluminum framing member, try not to drill into it, but it would be OK to drill a hole just large enough to fit the coax through the aluminum framing member.

Run your coax, put the new connector on the outside, and be sure to be generous with your caulking as you can wipe off the excess when done. Verify the coax works before proceeding. Then you can fish the inside portion of your coax up inside the wall to the TV. Again, verify the coax works. 

(Yes, I know you have your wooden cabinet on the driver’s side bench, but I believe it is removeable. Remove it and remove the plywood panel covering up the wiring and pipes next to the wheel well, in addition to the removeable panel covering the shower pipes.)

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”