Options

Anti- Head Bump Pipe Foam Installed

BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
edited November 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
I can't say that I've ever had a problem with this issue, but my wife asked me to install a bumper under the bottom edge of the back cabinet to prevent further pain when getting into bed.

For this, I used a 6-ft piece of 3/4" foam pipe insulation from the plumbing section at Lowe's.  I find it less bulky looking than pool noodles, yet should still do the job.

I first cut off lengthwise about 1/3 of the circumference of the already slit open tube, then tested for fit & cut length to fit.  It should still stay on snugly after cutting off the right amount.

I used this heavy duty double-sided tape.  It's a 1-inch wide, very sticky, thick gray soft rubbery material, with a thin red plastic liner, but don't peel it off until after foam is installed over it - it's easier that way.  I cut a strip the same length as the cabinet, then cut it in half lengthwise, so I had two 1/2" wide pieces for front & back edges.  No need to tape at bottom.  Put the non-cut edge of the tape at top for a neater finished edge.

After firmly applying the tape to both sides, I installed the tube overtop of the red liner on the tape, then pulled off a few inches of the red liner at one end, so I could line up the front edge of the tube with the edge of the tape & press it into place.  I continued pulling off a few inches at a time, while lining up the edge of the foam tube & pressing it into place as I went.  I figure this is easier than getting the tube stuck everywhere & damaging it trying to get it loose.

I fastened the back side next, using the same method, which worked quite well.  I also put the cut edge of the tube in the back for a cleaner looking front edge.  Those are my DIY window awnings rolled up on the shelf.  I also noticed they would fit in the shelf above the passenger side window if we wanted to store them there.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 

Comments