Options

SeeLevel meter reading 18.5-19.5 volts

We recently purchased a 2017 T@B S Max and are slowly learning the ropes.  It is stock for all electrical connections and battery.  When we picked the trailer up the battery meter was reading 12.6-7 off of shore power and 13.6 on shore power.  We have had it parked at our house for several weeks since picking it up.  On shore power for about a week, then off for about a week with the battery switched off in the front storage shell.  

Now when off of shore power the battery meter is reading 18.5 volts, when I attach shore power it jumps to 19.6 volts.  I went thru the meter manual and cannot find an explanation for this.  Everything in the camper works as if the battery is fully charged.

Any ideas?
Rich Bradley 2017 T@B S Max Northern Illinois

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Do you have a multimeter?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RMBradleyRMBradley Member Posts: 8
    We are at our vacation home and I don't have one with me right now.  
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @RMBradley, your initial numbers were good. 12.6/7 indicates a fully charged battery.  13.6 is the reading from the converter as it charges the battery. There have been multiple discussions regarding a reading of 14.+ that is necessary to top off the battery charge, but ours has never reached that number and we still hold the 12.6 after more than 2 years and 18,000 miles. Don't know if those unreasonable numbers indicate a battery failure, or converter problems, but try this. Disconnect your AC power. Turn your battery isolation switch to green. That let's the battery begin to equalize. Wait 30 minutes and take a battery reading then. Should be around that 12.6 or 12.7 number you first saw. Others with more expertise will chime in. It can also be something simple such as your seelevel is incorrect. My DH says to get a voltmeter and actually take a battery reading with that. It will give you a more clear understanding of actual readings and what might be the glitch in the works. Good luck. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Can you borrow a multimeter from a neighbor or buy an inexpensive one? In other words, you do need to verify the voltage as soon as possible as it should never be that high. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @RMBradley, check the fluid levels in the battery cells if it is a standard wet cell battery. Repeated charging can cause fluid loss and eventual battery damage/destruction, although not usually in such a short time charging. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    There is no hurry as we have no travel planned for at least a month.  I will bring my multimeter back with me next week and can do some detective work.  

Battery is essentially new and as it was on shore power for a week with no electrical draw it should be fully charged and at 12.7V.
  • Options
    Will check the fluids to make sure there are no problems there. Thanks

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Checked water levels and they are fine.  I switched battery power to trailer off while checking water levels and with just shore power meter is still reading 19.6V.  
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @RMBradley, not to be an alarmist.....but I will be.

If your SeeLevel meter has been working up to this point, if it were me, I would tag each wire as to what side of the battery it belongs on (+ or -, positive or negative), and I would remove the wiring and remove the battery from the T@B. Why? The voltage is too high and I would rather err on the side of caution until you can check the voltage with a multimeter. 

If the multimeter agrees with your SeeLevel, something is wrong and you need to correct the problem. 

My batteries have never gone above 14.7V and that is either bulk or absorption mode (someone will put the correct mode here), which is normal. 19.6V is not normal. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    @RMBradley It sounds alot like your meter is likely the culprit. Like others have suggested, I would verify those readings with a multimeter before looking much further. Good hunting!
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    On the other hand, I just googled batteries exploding and it apparently happens with both AGM  and acid batteries. Overcharging has been a culprit as have oxygen and hydrogen gasses. Plates failing and falling over on each other, etc. No sparks around until you’ve got this figured out. I probably just should never google.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    A couple possibilities, either the converter is putting out too much voltage or the Seelevel is lying. I’d disconnect the battery until you can figure out which.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I disconnected the battery till I get the multimeter here, but I think it may be the meter as well.  The battery, after sitting for a week off charge, showed 18.6V before connecting to shore power. 
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    You are right to use the multimeter, and check the out put on the battery cables when plugged in. While it is possible your seelevel is not right it is as likely your charge controller is malfunctioning. Good move removing your battery as this would damage it. If your trailer is in warranty I would take it to the shop.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    rioosoriooso Member Posts: 27
    Through all this I am confused. If I may. I don't understand the high reading but I have never heard of a lead/acid battery giving off more voltage than it was designed for. Physics tell me that the output voltage is a product of the number of plates and the acid being used. I would suspect your meter but, there is another avenue to pursue. Hook the battery up and run just a couple of lights. Then see what your battery voltage is. Voltage on an unloaded battery has no biasing current, and therefore can give a false reading. You are correct in not using a large power source till you can find out what is wrong.... Me.... I suspect the meter if it is incorrect even under load!
  • Options
    I agree with your thinking that the chemical limits of the battery would not be able to deliver 18.6 volts, even if overcharged by a malfunctioning charger.  I will test later this week with a multimeter and should be able to determine whether it is the meter or the charger/battery combo that is off.  Thanks for all the comments! 
  • Options
    Finally got back to the TAB with a multimeter, and as suspected the battery, disconnected from the trailer, is measuring 12.69V, so a full charge.  When I hook the battery up, with no shore power attached, the SeeLevel meter shows 18.2V, so the meter is reading very high.  I remember reading in the manual that the meters are calibrated at the factory and battery level cannot be calibrated in the field.  I will contact NuCamp and find out what the options are.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    That’s a relief! 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @RMBradley, yes that is a relief!

Now for the rest of the story......a new T@B owner a few years ago (I forget their names, and can’t remember for the life of me!) had a new battery, less than 6 months old, that went bad. They were on their first longer trip and the battery actually caught on fire in their front tub. They called AAA and were on their way soon with a new battery. That is why I was worried about your high reading. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, Columbus, IN