Options

Full timing insurance on T@B

SystemSystem Posts: 180
edited April 2022 in Trailer & Towing
This discussion was created from comments split from: Crossing Canadian Border.

Comments

• Options
    HunterTABHunterTAB Member Posts: 6
    My auto insurance company said they would not insure my trailer as long as I am 'living' in it. Since I am planning to be traveling for 6-9 months, I thought that qualifies as living in it. So no insurance. How do other people deal with this? Thanks 
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Might be interesting to ask them if they would give you home-owners insurance instead! :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I was told that if I kept some stuff at my brother’s house and used his address as a permanent address, that I could be insured, including the storage garage with most of my belongings. They said they would not accept a UPS box as a permanent address. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Is your auto insurance policy for RV's or are they adding your RV  to the auto policy.  Might look at a dedicated RV policy.  There are some differences between the two.  We use Progressive RV policy. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    broderiusbroderius Member Posts: 32
    Try foremost insurance.  See what they can do.   Best of luck.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Check Progressive for an independent RV policy.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GidgetGidget Member Posts: 64
    I have Foremost and they do offer full timer insurance.

Look out open road, here we come!!! Me, my Gracie May, a 2YO Beaweenie; half Beagle, half Dachshund, Dash, the 2015 Kia Sorento LX V6, Gidget, the 2018 nüCamp 320s!

Places Visited Map
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I think the difference is a full timer has a lot more days a year out of storage and that broadens the insurance companies exposure. I have a enclosed utility trailer and that has it's own insurance and card I carry in the TV. Better to pay for a policy that you never use than find out after the fact you don't have coverage.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    TDR920TDR920 Member Posts: 4
    Go to an Independent Agent (that's actually what they're called when they're not affiliated with a company).  They handle several companies and deal with ALL insurance related issues.  Don't drive yourself crazy trying to research this yourself.  (Disclosure: I just retired from an Insurance company but was in the IT department)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Just read this (quote below) in the RV Travel newsletter and thought I would revive this thread.  If you are full timing are you aware of this?

“Some insurance and extended warranty policies will not cover full-time living. That will likely change, but for now any new full-timers should read their policies carefully. Thousands of current full-timers who believe they are insured are not. In an accident they could lose their life savings.”

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio