Solar panel size (wattage wise)

Time to get the ball rolling with my solar.
I've picked up a Victron 75/15 MPPT controller, now I'm looking at panels. I see the Renogy has a 160w flexible panel. I was going to go with 2 100w panels but it is less $$ for that than 2 100s. Would 160w be enough for everyday boon docking or am I going to wish I had more. Also, would 32w be too much if I get the 160w panel and decide its not enough and add another?
Also, what's the latest best way to attach flexible panels to the roof. Thanks
2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Best way I attached panels to the roof was with 3M auto trim tape. You don't see automotive trim come off when people are speeding down the highway! Make sure you place the tape so water and debris doesn't get caught under the panel.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ChrisK said:
    Time to get the ball rolling with my solar.
    I've picked up a Victron 75/15 MPPT controller, now I'm looking at panels. I see the Renogy has a 160w flexible panel. I was going to go with 2 100w panels but it is less $$ for that than 2 100s. Would 160w be enough for everyday boon docking or am I going to wish I had more. Also, would 32w be too much if I get the 160w panel and decide its not enough and add another?
    Also, what's the latest best way to attach flexible panels to the roof. Thanks
    Good question. It will depend on your usage. 160w is usually considered the minimum people need to keep going. I like the design of the new Renogy flexible panel and have considered installing a couple of those. IIIRC, the 75/15 had a max input of either 300w or 400w, but I cannot rememeber for sure. That being said, it is very unlikely that you would actually reach an efficiency of 320w. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    Get 2 batteries. You can have all the wattage in the world coming from your panels but once a battery is full, it's full. 
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 270
    Yup, that is in the plans. Not right away, but not too long.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole