Options

Unhinged Storage Lid is Now Hinged

BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
edited November 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
Alas, no more unhinged storage lid flopping around, and no more holding it up with our heads!  

I used the leftover hinges from the shutter hinge kit shown in my rear lid stay topic (http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/7052/back-shelf-lid-stay-holds-lid-up-easy-down) to attach the lid, then added the two struts removed from the front upper cabinets after replacing those hinges with the popular Amerock BP2811J23-14  "all-the-way-up" hinges.

These shutter hinges are made for 3/4" thick boards, but this lid is only 1/2" thick, so I added a 1" scrap of 1/4" plywood as a spacer.  I still had to chisel out a thin layer of the plywood for a more perfect fit, and that also helps protect the seat cushion from metal corners.  One could just get some half inch hinges, but since I already had these, I wanted to use them.  I also thought there may not be enough clearance with the wall to use standard hinges.

The extra 1/4" height in the corner does not adversely effect the cushion - it still fits just fine.  I also added a couple of screws between the three hinges.  It could have been better to make the extra plywood strip the same length as the lid, but I used what I had on hand.

In case anyone wants to try reusing the struts leftover from the kitchen cabinets, here are the measurements of my strut placement.  Yours may be different, depending on how the lid is mounted & type of hinge.

How it looks when closed.

The two struts have just enough strength to keep the lid up, which is a welcome relief for me.  I go into this cabinet frequently, because it's where I store my tool bag & spare parts bag.  When I need a tool outside, it's convenient to just lean in the doorway & grab the tool bag through the side door of this storage area.
We also have a collapsible broom & dustpan combo & plastic can with roll of trashbags in here.  I plan to add more storage above the bags, but still mulling over ideas for using that 8"W x 5"H x 28"L remaining space.

By the way, those bags were a bargain at Lowes & fit the space perfectly...

https://m.lowes.com/pd/AWP-Polyester-Zippered-Closed-Tool-Bag/50175657

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 

Comments