Options

2nd Tier Storage Method Under Seat

BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
edited November 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
The empty space under my newly hinged storage lid seemed to be begging to become a useful storage solution, so this was my answer..

I knew in the store these would be a good fit, but didn't know how good: like as close to perfect as I could have hoped for in all three dimensions. Each measures about 4x8x14", with no room to spare lengthwise, a half inch from the wheelwell, and an inch above my toolbags underneath. I guess yesterday was my lucky day.

Got them at Lowes..
https://m.lowes.com/pd/MadeSmart-Housewares-9-in-W-x-10-63-in-H-Plastic-2-Tier-Pull-Out-Cabinet-Basket/999919748
We may go back for another pair, as they might make a good stack of drawers to fit under the sink, but I haven't tested that yet.  Comes with a rack for sliding them out.

Underneath I still have my toolbags, and the new bins are mounted on half-inch U-channel aluminum bars, also from Lowes, attached with a pair of small wood screws at each end.  First mounted one against the heater box, then placed a bin on top (edge rests on top of the rail) and adjusted the placement of the second one to hold up the other side while still allowing it to slide.

I had to make two cuts with a hacksaw at each end to create the two tabs that I bent at 90° and drilled screw holes.  Aluminum is soft, so easy to cut & file.  Careful measurements gave me a snug fit inside the 28-5/8" long opening, but I cut it an inch longer to make the half inch tabs at both ends.  Used a vice & vice grips to bend the tabs, but it bends relatively easily, so vice grips & pliers would probably do.

You could use one & slide it around, otherwise it's easy enough to pick one up & set it aside to reach items below.
I'm very happy with how this one worked out, but I haven't even thought about what to store here.  I know shoes will fit in these, but probably no more than one pair, unless sandals, so maybe better for other things?
PS: I bet you could store spare pens & pencils inside the aluminum grooves, or maybe those bamboo marshmallow sticks we got?
-Brian in Chester, Virginia
TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Nicely done!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Chris318Chris318 Member Posts: 5
    Really great use of space. I'm going to Lowes today to get mine.
    Chris & Liz
    T@B 320S (as of 3-2018): TV-2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
    Portland, OR

• Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    Looks great! I especially like the soft bags below. Ours is a little bit rustic but a similar approach.   http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/comment/66491

James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have always loved @hymie 's solution but know I won't have the skills to pull it off. I might be able to do what @BrianZ has done...maybe.

@Chris318 if you do this, would you be so kind as to take photos of where the hacksaw cuts are? I think I know, but would love some reassurance. I think this would be a nice solution on the Driver side.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited November 2019
    @jkjenn Jenn, I'd be happy to show you in photos how I made the cuts.  I have a couple pieces leftover, so can use them as props.
    And here ya go..

This is the second cut.  You can see the first only went through that one side at bottom of the "U".  I called this second one a single cut, since it goes through both sides, but it's easier to flip it over to start cutting the other side.  One tip is to actually cut a mm or two beyond the first cut - this will make it easier to bend such that the bent flap will be even with the first cut edge, since that's likely where you measured the length.  Otherwise the bend would add to the length.  So, you'll be removing a square piece.
    You can do this!  💪
  • Options
    @hymie, The bags are from Lowes also.  Two for $10 & well made.  Your bin looks built to last!  Not sure about these plastic ones, but they seem fairly durable.
  • Options
    PS:
    One other detail I forgot to mention, and not sure whether it makes any difference or not..
    At each top outside corner of these bins, there is a 1-inch long by 1/8" wide tab of plastic which I cut off, in order to allow maximum overhang of the top outside edge of the bin that rests on the aluminum support frame.  I used a dremel tool cutting wheel, but a hack saw would work too. Again, I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I wanted them to have max supporting surface, since the lip is thin to begin with.  Not sure what those tabs are for, maybe just for stacking so they don't get stuck inside each other?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    BrianZ said:
    @jkjenn Jenn, I'd be happy to show you in photos how I made the cuts.  I have a couple pieces leftover, so can use them as props.
    And here ya go..

This is the second cut.  You can see the first only went through that one side at bottom of the "U".  I called this second one a single cut, since it goes through both sides, but it's easier to flip it over to start cutting the other side.  One tip is to actually cut a mm or two beyond the first cut - this will make it easier to bend such that the bent flap will be even with the first cut edge, since that's likely where you measured the length.  Otherwise the bend would add to the length.  So, you'll be removing a square piece.
    You can do this!  💪
    Thank you, very much! I might not have time before my summer trip, but maybe before my fall trip!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Safe travels, @jkjenn, and good weather & good light.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    When my wife saw these bins, she took them into our bathroom to use under the sink (in our house)!
    So, I had to get two more sets, because it's also a perfect fit under the T@B sink..

• Options
    CincyKidCincyKid Member Posts: 83
    @BrianZ Did you post earlier on those two black lifts to hold up the lid?  Would like to know where to buy those for my next mod.

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yes, @CincyKid,  it was under the "Unhinged Storage Lid" topic where I mentioned the struts were removed from the two upper kitchen cabinets when I replaced the hinges with the Amerock BP2811J23-14  "all-the-way-up" hinges, & the struts were no longer needed there.  Dale Helman also recommended a strut for this purpose (same thread I think), so you might also want to consider his.  The recycled ones work fine, but I needed both.

PS:  After looking at his struts, I don't think they'd fit with my mod.  It appears Dale's struts are 7"-10.5" long (compressed-extended), so they would not fit the remaining space after installing my bins & rails (Unless mounted lower down somehow, like by adding an "L" bracket to the underside of the 2x4 maybe?).  I measured 6.5" remaining space for a strut.  My struts are only about 5" extended (4" compressed) & attach about an inch from the aluminum rail.  My hinge is also not at the bottom, but
     offset to the top of the lid, so when it's up, the bottom where the strut is attached is lifted upwards a bit more. 
    Guessing you'd need struts that are no more than about 5 inches compressed & 6.5" extended.