Product that stabilizes AND levels?

GidgetGidget Member Posts: 64
edited June 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hi everyone! :) This is my SECOND post in the T@B forums and so far y'all have been so incredibly nice and oh-so helpful. So, I'm calling on your experience and wisdom again.

Hopefully, you understand what I'm referring to when I say "moonlanders" because honestly, that's what they look like!!! It's those front and rear pair of manually lowered "feet" that clearly denote they are only for stabilizing NOT LEVELING! Why in the world nüCamp didn't fabricate a product that did both truly baffles me (especially at this price point!). SO... that leads me to ask is there a product out there that actually does both the stabling and the leveling that I can swap the moonlanders out for?

Help me Obi-Wan, help me! :)

Look out open road, here we come!!! Me, my Gracie May, a 2YO Beaweenie; half Beagle, half Dachshund, Dash, the 2015 Kia Sorento LX V6, Gidget, the 2018 nüCamp 320s!

Places Visited Map

Comments

• dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    The frame can't can't handle too much torque but @Dalehelman added scissor jacks to his and has technique for leveling with 3 points search scissor jacks should give you what you want. 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • GidgetGidget Member Posts: 64
    So, that's a cool idea... and I'm curious how well that does on rocky terrain as those photos are showing his rig on smooth concrete. Hmmm.... can you tell me what you mean by, "the frame can't handle too much torque"?? 

Look out open road, here we come!!! Me, my Gracie May, a 2YO Beaweenie; half Beagle, half Dachshund, Dash, the 2015 Kia Sorento LX V6, Gidget, the 2018 nüCamp 320s!

Places Visited Map
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    The stabilizers on the T@B are a throwback to the original  European design. I have replaced my rear stabilizers with true lifting jacks. By making a simple adapter plate you can bolt on a  scissor style lifting jack.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • GidgetGidget Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2018
    @Dalehelman, this is sheer brilliance and exactly what I'm after. I see you refashioned your T@B but I don't have the wherewithal (aka a place to do it) to do this to my Gizmo. So, where would you suggest I have this mod done? Also, since you know so much about this stuff, do you have any idea why nüCamp wouldn't go ahead and do this to ALL their models? I mean it solves a problem that all RVers have and especially solo, female travelers like me!

Admin note: This is a family forum. Abbreviations of inappropriate language are not allowed!

Places Visited Map
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @Gizmo, perhaps not too many Tab customers have requested this feature.  Also, it may add to the price.  The Tabs are easy to level using blocks or the Anderson leveler.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    The stabilizers on the T@B are a throwback to the original  European design. I have replaced my rear stabilizers with true lifting jacks. By making a simple adapter plate you can bolt on a  scissor style lifting jack.

I did this same thing.  So far, it's worked great out for me, but I haven't done any extreme leveling with them yet.

Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    @Dalehelman do you think there would be any risk in using taller jacks for those us with the Outback? I have camped in some fairly unlevel sites. I did not know that updated the mod to use a plate. It seems more doable for low skill folks, like me. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    @jkjenn
    I just installed a set of 30” jacks on an Outback. The extra 6” allows for the extra height. On extreme uneven sites you must use your best judgement. I have found them to be very stable under any conditions I have experienced. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Thanks @Dalehelman !

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014