Options

Front window screen issue on the 400

I just got back from a 3 day outing in my 400. On the second day, when pulling the front screen down after opening the window, it just came down at a slant and came out of the track. The black tension cords came out in a mess. The screen had always been tight in the front window prior to this, but now it is pretty much non-functional. It feels that the cords are still all connected and there is no loose end signifying a break. 

Has anyone had this happen, and if so, could you please tell me how you fixed it? I have had this camper for less then a year, and it is the third issue that needs to be repaired.

North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Your first call should be to your dealer. If you are under warranty, there should be no charge. The dealer will work you to get it fixed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited June 2018
    @Verna, @robpt 's dealer is hundreds of miles away in another state. I know he has repaired other issues himself and I think he's just looking for a fix to do it himself.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    robptrobpt Member Posts: 90
    @dragonsdofly, thanks, you are correct. My dealer is 600 miles away and it looks like a possible simple fix - I hope. I already sent an email to Elsie and have put in a warranty claim, but there's not much they can do except send me parts and tell me what needs to be done. I'm enjoying my 400 too much to let things stay broken.
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @robpt
    We had the same issue. We got a new screen assembly from Elsie. It's just 4 screws, an easy fix. One caution is to use care in removing it from the box, be sure you do not bend it in the process. Sorry you had the problem, but like you we really love our 400 and we've been incredibly impressed with the customer service we get from nüCamp!

Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    Thanks, @skwhee, that is exactly what I wanted to hear, just 4 screws!
  • Options
    I had contacted Elsie who in turn put me in touch with the representative for the screen combo supplier. Elsie commented that they had experienced some problems with the combos (I take it just the front one) and the supplier wants the customers to contact them directly. The supplier rep, Dan, wrote that he would send me a replacement and asked if I could send mine back for analysis. 

Of course, I'm not an expert on the construction of these combos, but it may be part of the problem is the size of the front window on the 400 and the expanse of the screen. Since there is a table in the way, you tend to tug down on the screen with more pressure on one side, creating an uneven stress to the tension cords - just my personal theory. There is always a mad rush to get the screen down after opening the front window so as to not accumulate mosquitoes in the interior of the camper.

Whatever the issue, I am very happy on the quick and friendly response and a promise for a replacement. I have loved these screen/shade combos ever since first experiencing them in the Cirrus I use to own - much nicer than the older conventional sliding widows with fixed outside screens and the pull down blinds. 
  • Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    @robpt, we would agree.  We love the big front window in the 400 but we have found that the front screen/shade is easier to move up and down with 2 people.  We can get at it easier when we have the front set up as the couch, but it's almost impossible for one person to operate the screen/shade with the table up, unless you happen to have very long arms.😁
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• Options
    sdenhofsdenhof Member Posts: 43
    We are having ours replaced along with the Inverter that will not power on. We bought our 400 in February.
    2018 Tab 400 towed by 2013 F150
    Evanston Wyoming home
  • Options
    DradloffDradloff Member Posts: 1
    We just had the same thing happen on our t@b400. What is the exact contact for the manufacturer? You reference his name but not how to contact. My husband was able to fix it but I bet it won’t last.
  • Options
    @Dradloff, this is how Elsie responded to me  regarding the screen. Dan responded immediately to me, but I am still waiting for notification as to when a replacement is being sent. I had agreed to send back the old one by UPS. I hope this helps..
    In the meantime, what did your husband do to fix it? 
    We are having a few issues with our shade/screen combo’s. I forwarded you email to our supplier. If we have issues like this, he wants the customers to contact him directly and he will help you. I included his info below.

Trans Atlantic Products
    574-262-0165 (office)
    574-596-9100 (mobile)
    dan@transatlanticprod.com

• Options
    pingncpingnc Member Posts: 25
    We had the same issue and I, too, contacted Elsie who gave me Dan's contact info.  I called and then sent my contact info on Friday and the repalcement was here Wed the next week.  Took approx 20 miniutes to remove the old one and install the new.  Biggest problem I had was lining up the screw holds for the new screen.  Along with NuCamp one of the best customer service experiences I've had in a long while.  They really care :>)

2018 T@B 400 (P@t's Condo), Silver and Black, TV 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 CrewCab, Phil & Pat in Waynesville, NC
  • Options
    @robpt and @pingnc is the replacement a different design?  Just curious since ours is so difficult to move up and down.  We are wondering if we are going to be facing the same issue. . .
    Happy Trails,

• Options
    @driftless, by appearances, it outwardly looks the same. As @pingnc stated, it was an easy replacement. I inadvertently installed mine with the shade at the top and the screen at the bottom, which really doesn't make a difference unless you're ocd and want all the shades in the same order, but I left it that way to see if it reduces the strain on the screen (I doubt it). It felt just slightly easier to pull from the last screen which would threaten to bunch up. We'll see......
  • Options
    pingncpingnc Member Posts: 25
    The replacement appears to be the same.  The screw holes line up with the old one.
    2018 T@B 400 (P@t's Condo), Silver and Black, TV 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 CrewCab, Phil & Pat in Waynesville, NC
  • Options
    Thanks @robpt and @pingnc, since we replaced the stationary window with the opening window in our 320, we aren't concerned with doing the actual screen replacement.  We were just wondering what design change was made to the actual screen mechanism to prevent the issue from happening again.
    Happy Trails,

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    To avoid the mad rush putting up the screens on our 320, I unlock the window and put up the screen first, then go outside to raise the window.  Not sure if you can reach as easily with the 400, but thought I'd throw it out there.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @pingnc @driftless @robpt @db_cooper @sdenhof @Dradloff

It seems to us that the issue with the front window screen/shade assembly on the 400 is its width. We've not had any issue with the other two screen/shade assemblies in the 400 and over the course of three years we had no problems with the same shades in our 2015 T@B-CS 320, but all of those windows are narrower.

Since we replaced the front window assembly in our 400 in July last year we have not had an issue. We make it a practice to disengage the screen and the shade first then raise or lower the shade with support on both ends of the rail and that seems to really help.
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    @skwhee we agree.  We also purchased additional clips from Elsie which help to keep the front screen and shade clamped together better to help minimize those little flying critters from getting in.
    Happy Trails,