Problems with my chains and the "S" hook.

HerFineMessHerFineMess Member Posts: 23
I was packed and ready to go on a trip, and my dang S hook won't fit through the receiver hitch. I usually tow with my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and hooking up the chains is usually not a problem. I decided to try and use my husband's GMC 2500 Denali to see if the extra power would feel better through Colorado mountain passes. Well...the dang chains won't fit through ANY of the holes in the hitch. I did some Google research, disconnect the T@B and went to two stores. I bought the "solution" which was more or less a "C" shaped chain that tightens down like a strong carabiner. Well, even that won't fit through any of the holes to keep my chains in place. It's like the metal in between the holes is too wide, so nothing will pass through them and clamp down. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've disconnected twice now and I'm about to give up. I've already wasted one night in my reserved spot. This sucks. Help?  

PS...the husband travels and took my Jeep. Otherwise, I'd have switched cars. 

--Meg 
Mostly A Solo RV Chick 
T@B Outback
Jeep Grand Cherokee 

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Bummer, hopefully someone who owns a Denali will chime in. You cou mod also call eTrailer. They have just about everything and probably could tell you just what you need.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• HerFineMessHerFineMess Member Posts: 23
    I should have stuck to my Grand Cherokee!  :)

jkjenn said:
    Bummer, hopefully someone who owns a Denali will chime in. You cou mod also call eTrailer. They have just about everything and probably could tell you just what you need.

--Meg 
    Mostly A Solo RV Chick 
    T@B Outback
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @HerFineMess is there a gmc Denali forum you can ask?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Instead of clamping through the hole, do you have enough length to pass the chain through the hole and then use the clamp on the chain?  That is what we do.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited June 2018
    I would use a shackle aka d link.

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • HerFineMessHerFineMess Member Posts: 23
    I used a shackle! I went to the hardware store early this morning and got the shackles. At that point a trailer place was open, so I went by there to verify that I was doing this correctly with the shackle. They told me this is a common issue with the GMC (and other large trucks). The chain solution would have worked, but CDOT would ticket me if they pulled me over. They verified that the shackle is the best way to fix the problem. They even said if I got larger hooks on my chains that it still would be problematic, so I am glad I went with the shackle. Thanks for everyone's help! I love this forum!  

rkj__ said:
    I would use a shackle aka d link.

--Meg 
    Mostly A Solo RV Chick 
    T@B Outback
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I'm glad you got it sorted.  Now go enjoy that big V8 power, and get camping!
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I have a Ford Expedition and need to turn the "S" hooks on the chain all the way up in order for the spring-loaded tab to clear the metal and secure the "S" hook.  The metal opening on the truck is too wide to simply snap the "S" hooks into place.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Tabaz said:
    I have a Ford Expedition and need to turn the "S" hooks on the chain all the way up in order for the spring-loaded tab to clear the metal and secure the "S" hook.  The metal opening on the truck is too wide to simply snap the "S" hooks into place.
    Same issue with my Jeep GC... at first I fought it, but now I have the touch  =)
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    When I got my 09 Sport Trac, the loops were too "Fat" to fit the existing clip for the chains. Went to big box store and got bigger clips.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL