Options

Magnets! Great for decorating

danp212danp212 Member Posts: 44
We have been collecting magnets from most of our recent trips and I have been trying to figure out the best way to display them inside the T@B. I bought a "magnetic strip roll" that was very weak and also would have left behind lots of sticky residue if I ever decided to remove, so that didn't work out. My mom came up with the idea of using small high powered magnets instead, so I purchased 6 for some testing and they arrived in the mail this morning. They are perfect!!! Exactly what I was looking for!!!

I discovered using 2 at a time as a "sandwich" over the upper storage shelves works perfectly and seems to create a strong and secure hold. These little guys (pun intended) are REALLY powerful so be careful when handling them, they are a little bigger than a quarter, about the size of a silver dollar. I plan to order a bunch more as they are not very expensive. For reference, I think these have a strength rating of N52.

Here is how I am using them:

The "sandwich" method

2017 T@B Max S

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    After you’ve successfully tested these over a bumpy road, I’ll place my order! BTW, our household fridge will then relinquish its over abundance of brewery magnets, uh, I mean state and national park magnets.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    danp212danp212 Member Posts: 44
    I'm very confident they will stay mounted, but I will be sure to post back after our next trip with my experience. We are planning some 4th of July weekend boondocking which will surely lead to some bumpy backroads and a great test for the magnets. 

Also thought it would be good to clarify the specs on the magnets I tested: 

1.26" x 1/8" Super Strong Rare Earth Disc Neodymium Magnets

The 1/8" thick magnets are a little more expensive but I imagine they hold much better than thinner versions. 
    2017 T@B Max S
  • Options
    Thanks!

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Very clever!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    A word of caution - be careful of your phone, wallet (bank cards) or other sensitive electronics around these magnets. The voice of experience... 😀
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    OMG, how about my pacemaker?  Actually, I don’t have one, but it could happen.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    edited June 2018
    @jgram2 , I know what you mean😀. DH continues to collect from places of travel.  I may need to tap danp212’s idea.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Good Grief @SAM, colorful and even sorta neat!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @SAM, did you ever see the photo of the home fridge that fell over forwards due to the weight of the magnets on it? ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    @Verna, DH remains in complete denial regarding his excessive, magnet obsession!  He will apply counter weights or bolt the frig to the wall before he abstains from further tacky, frig magnet art.  I guess I am grateful that it is a cheap hobby.  It could be much worse!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio