Options

Custom fabric and cushion info

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
There is frequent discussion regarding the limitations of ordering split cushions and custom fabric.  Since I passed on misinformation, I wanted to post the correct info for the record!  I spoke with John Sante in nuCamp sales and both Elsie and Whitney in the nuCamp Parts department.  

John in Sales reported that they absolutely will split cushions on a New Tab 320 order.  Other customizations are requested via your dealer and approved at the discretion of nuCamp often based on production timing (can they do it at the time of order/production without slowing down the line.)

Famous Elsie in Parts reported that:

1)  all cushions and upholstery slipcovers are made by an off-site supplier.
2)  owner supplied custom fabric is accepted, but it must be in nuCamps hands 3-4 weeks prior to the build of a new Tab.
3)  your fabric must be upholstery type fabric - that is heavy enough to allow for ease of sewing.  Width will determine seaming.
4)  an S or U model requires 12 yards of fabric total.  Different fabric for the backs vs the seats requires 6 yds for each.
5)  a CS requires less, say 10 yards of fabric total, 5 yds each for seats and backs of different fabric.  
6)  Tab owners (as opposed to ordering customers), can also have custom cushions and slipcovers made.  1-5 above applies.
7)  The off-site supplier can provide the cushions, but, if you want to bring your existing cushions (or foam from another source) to nuCamp, they will send them to the supplier for new slipcovers with or without splitting.  (Whitney hinted that it would be costly for owners to ship existing cushions, so this is probably only a good option for those within driving distance of nuCamp.  Sounded like it would be cheaper to order fresh cushions.)

We did not discuss cost or turn-around time.  Contact Elsie with questions - Elsie@nucamprv.com or call 330-852-4811 Ext. 304.
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @SAM, thanks so much for taking the time to confirm and post this info.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @SAM thanks for this! I would love to do a split couch back! It would give me different options when it’s just me, and make getting to the space behind the Alde much easier!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    Thanks! Excited to order the split back!
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I had custom upholstery done a couple years after I bought my T@b. I thought the cost was reasonable and also got the newer cushion foam.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    If anyone knows what it would cost to have a new split pair of cushions (or materials to rebuild old one) & hinges shipped for a DIY install, please share.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Well, we got the new cushions.  I’m having bit of trouble fitting the back left side one in.  The seat back brackets don’t allow enough room.  I’m thinking maybe I can move the right side one about 1/8 of an inch or so.  
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    I was thinking it didn’t want our bottom cushion split but our custom fabric is striped and only 54”. I’ll have to split them right if I don’t want a seam mid cushion?
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    For those of you who have upgraded to firmer cushions, either via nuCamp or elsewhere, do you have any information on the firmness level compared to what you started with?  If you made new cushions as part of the upgrade, has anyone decided to increased the thickness slightly, as well?

This is one of our big projects for next season.  I have a local upholsterer who will be doing the work.

Thanks
    Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN