Options

Surge Protection

Can anyone out there give me advice on what surge protector to get for a new T@B? The prices range from $100 to $600. I was considering a Surge Guard 30 amp #34730 but its very bulky and $332.00.  Next one is a #44260 for a third the price.

Need help.

Comments

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Check out Camping World, they are much more reasonable for a 30 Amp surge protector than the prices you indicate.  I bought one off of EBay like new for around $80.00.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I too need a surge protector. Went with Sgtjohn's suggestion and visited CW site. Now my question is why do I want to spend $300 vs $99?
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I got the $99 one on sale at Camping World for under $80 and it has been serving me well for two months on my snowbirding trip here in the West. I don't have any room to spare to mount a fancy one. The one at the power pedestal shows me everything that I need to know. 3 green lights mean I'm good to go!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    There is another thread concerning this subject.
    After learning about and experiencing Low Voltage in RV parks and how bad they are for everything electrical in your t@b ie AC... Norcold.. Power Center etc... I went with a protector that protects high AND low voltage. 
    Expensive yes but not in relation to my t@b investment. This is made in USA. Lifetime warranty... Realtime readout... So you know what you are plugging into Before you experience a problem.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'll second that, re the Progressive Industries device. They get very high marks in the reviews, and their customer service is tops.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    I had the progessive hard wired in so I never have to worry. Even plugged into your house things can happen.
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    There are a couple of youtube videos that convinced me to go with EMS Progressive. They point out that you have to protect against low power as well as high. I can see where that could be an issue in a busy park. And from what they say that is at least as destructive as high.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    The issue of low voltage damage is a real one.  This is somewhat of an aside, but remember that you expose your trailer to low voltage when you let your battery drain, too.  I lost a TV/DVD player that way due to a bad battery.  In addition to surge protection for shore power, at least get a voltage meter to monitor your battery's charge level.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    The difference between $100 and $300 is the more expensive unit protects from low and high voltage as well as a surge condition such as lightning, but the $100 unit is surge only. Given that RV parks have power challenges at the best of times, I think the protection from under / over voltage is worth the extra. I know the Surge Guard has a delay feature to protect your A/C unit from being damaged from a very short outage (several seconds) as the compressor needs to be off for a minute or so before restarting. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    And since it cost more I bring it in closer to RV by using a pigtail and an old kayak dry bag that I cut a slit in for plug to pass... Can still get to fulltime readout when needed but protects from elements and keeps it out of sight...when I leave campsite I store in bag also.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I definitely recommend the Progressive Industries protector. I had the permanent one installed the day I bought my T@b. I had an error from reversed polarity at a campsite last fall. It was worth the investment and 1less thing to worry about during set up and tear down. They get phenomenal reviews from the RV community.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    gg144gg144 Member Posts: 6
    You guys who have the hard wired ones, where is it mounted?
    Houston, TX 2013 6X10 SS - contemplating S-Max 2003 4Runner Limited (V8)
  • Options
    cam42cam42 Member Posts: 7
    gg144 check this video out. http://youtu.be/O5eP2pCf4zM
    Cam & Holly, 2015 T@B MaxS White & Yellow, GA, 2012 Ford Explorer, Tent
  • Options
    gg144gg144 Member Posts: 6
    Cam42 - awesome! That was exactly what I was wanting to know. Thanks!
    Houston, TX 2013 6X10 SS - contemplating S-Max 2003 4Runner Limited (V8)
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I purchased the hardware version of the Surge Guard 30 and plan to install it on the vertical separator that is between where the Alde is located and where the power converter is on the S model. The installation instructions indicate not to install it on the floor facing upwards. I will mount it in the compartment where the converter is so I can easily see the lights on the face of the unit. I will post photos once I get it installed. Of note, is the hardwire version of the Surge Guard is approved for use in Canada whereas the plug in verion is not. I don't know why the plug in version is not approved, but guess it has to do with being exposed to weather. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    The hardwired surge guard give one an added security measure-the ones that plug into the RV park's electrical box are sometimes stolen when you're on a day trip.
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Mine is mounted in the bench storage. The peace of mind was worth the price, I had my dealer put it in before I picked it up.
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    cam42cam42 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    gg144-Your welcome, the credit goes to Richard Lewis. Go to his YouTube channel he has additional video of that compartment that are interesting.

Cam & Holly, 2015 T@B MaxS White & Yellow, GA, 2012 Ford Explorer, Tent
  • Options
    Had a Progressive EMS with remote readout installed today. Expensive but now I just don't have to worry about it. And they are now warranted for life!
  • Options
    The plugin model is weatherproof and rated for outside use, in addition to being warrantied for life. This is something that I'm sure the manufacturer could offer as an option that most t@b owners would consider.i found out about low voltage in RV parks on my first outing. No damage luckily, but I sure hate to learn lessons the hard way...lol.
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    I like the idea of a permanently installed unit inside for convenience and security reasons.  Do they make any noise when operating?
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    No. But if you get the remote readout put if where the flashing display isn't a distraction.
  • Options
    I like the idea of a permanently installed unit inside for convenience and security reasons.  Do they make any noise when operating?

Mine hums. When I called Progressive they told me it is normal.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I guess there are benefits to going a bit deaf after all. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    One person suggested that it might be better to have the external unit, in case of a lightning strike damaging it. 

He was concerned that the surge suppressor unit might burn or somehow be violently damaged if lightning were to strike, and in that case it would be better if it were outside the trailer.

I don't know how justified his concerns were, but it convinced me to get the external unit. 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    The dealer I intend to order my T@B from insist that I don't need a surge protector. He said he would install it, but has never had one of his customers lose any equipment for lack of one.

2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options

kybob said:
    The dealer I intend to order my T@B from insist that I don't need a surge protector. He said he would install it, but has never had one of his customers lose any equipment for lack of one.

Will he put his money where his mouth is?

• Options
    I know nothing about RV'S and have yet to spend a night in my T@B. But from what I have read/seen damage from shore power is a real threat. But one could be lucky and never need a suppressor. I'm not willing to roll the dice.
  • Options
    Another reason to buy the plug in unit...if you ever decide to trade up to a new RV, you can take your EMS with you...also I personally don't like to mod my t@b in ways that can't be reversed... Just my personal taste.
  • Options
    I don't know that the unit can't be removed. But since my T@B is brand new I doubt that I will trade any time soon. But if we all liked the same things there would be no choices. What is that saying? Oh.. to each his own.