Options

Attaching a rear-view camera

2»

Comments

• Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    I just bought this cam from Costco the other week:
    https://www.costco.com/type-s-6.8%22-wide-screen-solar-powered-hd-wireless-backup-camera.product.100504814.html

I haven’t had the chance to go out to my trailer to test yet, but the resolution works well from room to room in my house. The monitor plugs into 12v in car. The camera gets charged with a USB. No wiring needed! It says solar, but I don’t see any little panels. My T@b is stored in the dark, so solar doesn’t help. 

Once I test it, I’ll let everybody know, but it looks promising!
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    TaroTaro Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2020
    SubaruLou said:
    I'm looking into a rearview camera too and the one you got seems pretty cool!!
    Let me know how it works for you. Particularly I'm interesting in its range (signal drops) and quality of the video since it is powered by such a tiny solar.
    2007 Dutchmen T@B
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Taro, welcome to the forum! Glad to have your input! The more members, the larger the knowledge base.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options

I went out to my trailer in storage today to install the camera I mentioned above https://www.costco.com/type-s-6.8%22-wide-screen-solar-powered-hd-wireless-backup-camera.product.100504814.html

Sorry the pictures aren’t better. I didn’t pull the trailer out of the garage so they’re a little dark. I am super happy with how easy it was to install. There are no wires. The camera pre-charges by USB and does have a small solar panel on the bottom edge of the frame where it’s wider.

I did have to use included brackets to drop the license plate and frame down a little to clear the LED light. The monitor plugs into the 12v socket in my TV and talks to the camera via Bluetooth. It came pre-paired to it is truly plug-and-play. You wave in front of or tap the screen to wake it up.

The top picture above shows the monitor’s view. (My trailer is parked in front of my tent trailer so that’s the view in the storage unit). Very happy with how clear the image is! Since we weren’t hooked up to the trailer, we tested how far away we could drive before losing the image. There was no problem getting several car lengths away so I don’t anticipate any connectivity issues for either a 320 or 400.

Hope this helps! 😊
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    WalMart sells a tiny camera for less than $20 bucks. It has an rca Jack and the 2 (hot/ground) wires for power. It doesn't have any lights on it.  For power, I tapped mine into the trailer running lights. I have to have the lights on to use it but always run with my lights on anyway. I have mine stuck on the T@G bumper with 3M tape. If you wipe the surface with alcohol and apply a little heat with a hairdryer, just enough to warm the surface where you are putting it, it won't come off easily.
    Most backup cameras use a fish-eye lens so have a super wide field of view, but have terrible resolution further out. A car 50 feet behind the trailer will be all but invisible. My (rf) wireless camera signal drops out constantly on the road. I had it mounted up on the roof rack and signal was good there but when I moved it down on the bumper it started having trouble keeping a connection. I only use it for parking anyway so it's not a thing for me. I have my monitor on a switch so it's off most of the time while driving.
    WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    TaroTaro Member Posts: 2
    @Taro, welcome to the forum! Glad to have your input! The more members, the larger the knowledge base.
    Thank you Dragonsdofy!! I'm super exited to be a part of this wonderful group!!

And Thank you for your detailed report, SubaruLou. Looks like it's a good buy! I like how it is streamlined and seemingly very easy to use.

WilliamA, That's another alternative to think about. Thank you!!
    2007 Dutchmen T@B
  • Options
    BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    @SubaruLou I have been looking for a rechargeable / wireless backup camera as I don’t want to run wires from the camper.   The link to Costco no longer works (product not found).   Would you mind sharing the brand / model?   Thank you 
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    As @Bclarke indicates, the link to the Costco site returns this:

Product Not Found!

Sorry, but we weren't able to find the product you were looking for.

If possible @SubaruLou, can you post the name/model of the camera?
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    @Bclarke and @CharlieRN, it looks like they made a slight model variation. The brand is Type S in case you don’t have a Costco near you. There are three models currently available thru Costco with different price points. It looks like the monitor is the price driver:
    https://www.costco.com/car-electronics.html?type=back-up-camera&refine=%7C%7CType_attr-Back%2BUp%2BCamera
  • Options
    BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    @SubaruLou thank you!   The distance between your dash and the rear of the camper doesn’t create an issue?   This is exactly what I am looking for.   👍
  • Options
    @Bclarke, the distance is not an issue at all. I had the monitor in my car and drove unhitched several car lengths away and still had crystal clear reception. I did go into settings and increased the time the monitor stays active. The default setting is short and I never get the back up right on the first try!
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I returned the Costco camera mentioned because I also use it for rear situational awareness while towing and this camera turns OFF after a short period of time after a touch on the screen. The quick check to the rear is lost if you have to press a button and wait a few seconds for the image. I did like not having to wire it to the license plate light though. I suspect the "solar" charging was the reason the camera mostly was off.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited March 2021
    I'm not sure if this is the final camera mounting setup I'll be using. A little worried that low hanging branches in campgrounds may cause a problem. Also not sure if it's sturdy enough to keep wind at speed from making it shake. The elevated view and having electric in the fan housing are the reasons I tried this out.
    Picture is better than this photo looks. Too much sun glare coming from back window of Jeep.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Where did you mount your camera, @cyoung?  Any pics of the installation?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    I attached the camera above the license plate on the aluminum cage. I made a little angle bracket for the camera to sit on. Ran the wire behind the cage and through the trim above the running light. 
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
  • Options
    jschmierjschmier Member Posts: 26

Not a solution for 320 owners but I have a 400 and didn’t want to drill holes or run wires. I purchased a Fumei HD 720p WiFi Camera Wireless Backup Camera and App/ Amazon-$45 and a Joby GoPro gorilla suction mount/ Best Buy-$18. I stick the camera on the inside rear window and plug it into the 12-volt plug next to the kitchen sink.  I use an older iphone with another suction windshield mount as the monitor.  Mounted inside the 400, the camera is protected from the elements, doesn’t have signal problems, and when I arrive, I can remove the camera, stow it or move it to another window and monitor what’s outside. I also purchased a USB to 12-volt adapter so you can use the camera in other applications. The picture, while not broadcast, is good quality.  The camera is 120 degrees so you can properly gauge the size and distance of vehicles behind you. This works for me.

2018 T@B 400/solar/2022 Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    JohnnyQJohnnyQ Member Posts: 5
    @AnOldUR, I've got to ask--how did you get up there to attach that camera? I can't figure out how to reach a similar spot on my 400. Ladder will get me high enough, but it's a long reach to the center of the trailer roof!

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    @JohnnyQ ... Just used a step latter. Maybe my arms are longer than yours. =)
    Since I used the exhaust fan for a source of power, I pulled it apart to gain access and was able to do some of the work from the inside.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Nice job on the custom mounting bracket, @cyoung!  Glad to hear it's working reliably for you on the highway.  Having just installed the same system, but with the camera mounted on the roof, I'm looking forward to see how it performs.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    GeegeeGeegee Member Posts: 9
    Why not go wireless? I am currently considering a battery operated wireless camera with optional solar charging on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y6R6DCD/?coliid=I3LHZFZRXGKN91&colid=27WT2M9HLA3CC&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1 
    It attaches to the license plate. The only screw holes are at the top of the plate and the plate light gets in the way. There are no holes at the bottom. Can I drill hole there or am I causing a problem by doing so?
    Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    USSBirdUSSBird Member Posts: 65
    SubaruLou said:
    @Bclarke, the distance is not an issue at all. I had the monitor in my car and drove unhitched several car lengths away and still had crystal clear reception. I did go into settings and increased the time the monitor stays active. The default setting is short and I never get the back up right on the first try!
    Hey @SubaruLou!  Do you still like your Type S solar wireless camera?  $129 on amazon is getting hard to pass up.  Any feedback is appreciated.

2021 T@B 400 BD / 2020 Ram 1500, Northwest Arkansas
  • Options
    TowheeTowhee Member Posts: 46
    I have this camera on my rig.  It works very well.  Screen image is clear and bright and distance from camera to screen is a non issue.  You can adjust the camera view from the monitor depending how you are using it. Our 320 has a prominent back up light making licence mounted cameras difficult.  This one comes with special brackets to lower the camera so it fits just perfectly.
  • Options
    @USSBird, YES! I do still very much like my camera. I had to rig up a USB charger since I store my trailer in a dark garage to make sure the back cam is fully charged when I want to travel, but otherwise it is perfect!
  • Options
    USSBirdUSSBird Member Posts: 65
    Thanks @SubaruLou & @Towhee have my price tracker looking for a black Friday deal. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD / 2020 Ram 1500, Northwest Arkansas
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    Certainly a handy addition. I had a class B van and the rear camera was viewed through the nav screen. Has anyone determined if this possible with other type vehicles ? I understand this a complex question as there are so many different types of vehicles and nav/infotainment systems. Perhaps it could linked to the backup vehicle camera…??  I really don’t want another screen and mounted on the dash. 
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON