Options

Looking for a replacement axel option.

I have a 2008 TAB and would like to make 2 changes.  It’s okay for paved roads but some dirt roads which are washboarded with some rocks etc need a better axel.  Nothing like a road which would require 4WD low range, just rougher dirt where once and a while we need to step over a 3 inch rock of something.  

1) The axel does not meet my needs.  I need more space and travel under wheel wells.  A better axel for rougher roads is needed.

2) The mechanical surge brake is not what it needs to be for my use,  towing behind by truck is okay but an electric hub is a better option for my Toyota Highlander which has a brake controller.

Has anyone replaced an axel on a TAB.  I’m starting to look for options.

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @lhedrick, Have you done a search using pitched axle? There have been a lot of discussions here with folks that have gone to the "Outback", or now called "Boondock" versions of the T@B. I hope this helps you.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    As you said, you have a 2008 T@B with an Al-Ko frame. There "may" be a larger axle available from Al-Ko with a higher weight limit and possibly higher pitch. (The European 400s are still on an Al-Ko frame, so there must be a heavier Al-Ko axle). As far as the surge brakes, no chance to go to electric there. Your only option really is to have an entirely new frame put on your T@B. In that case you could get a NuCamp, "Boondock" frame and axle, and tires put on.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    lhedricklhedrick Member Posts: 5
    When I look under my 2008 TAB the frame is not much more then heavy grade sheet metal bent in to a  channel tapered toward the front and rear.   Where the axel attaches several inches of the frame are cut out and the axel attachment plate bolts into that cut out section.  I my need to do my own fabrication.  Un bolt the axel system, then replace that blank section of the frame with a longer piece of steel and more bolts to make it stronger.  Then use something like the Timbren axel-less system which will bolt on the my steel frame modification.   After getting under the trailer an looking I was really surprised to see how light weight everything is.   I may need to just dump the entire frame and start from scratch.  Weld up a new frame and attach it to the TAB body.  I just don't camp in drive up paved type places so I need to find a way to beef this thing up.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    You should call Dexter Axle as they are the company that manufactures the AL-KO axles for the nuCamp factory.  They should be able to give you recommendations for beefing up your frame and the right axle assembly you'll need.  

Contact Dexter

2900 Industrial Parkway East 
    Elkhart, IN 46516 
    (574) 295-7888

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,597
    . . . 2008 T@B with an Al-Ko frame. There "may" be a larger axle available from Al-Ko with a higher weight limit and possibly higher pitch.  . . .

As far as the surge brakes, no chance to go to electric there.
    Why couldn't new axle be Electric Brake Drum style?
    Install the axle, wire the brakes, maybe weld the surge 'slip' section of the tongue to a fixed position.  But having the 'surge section' active shouldn't matter as the electric brakes would be pulling the TV and T@B apart.

What an I missing that would make the change to electric impossible?
    It's a lot of work but in the end could be less expensive than upgrading to a newer year electric brakes T@B.
    I however would . . . sell the 2008 and buy an electric brake Outback/Boondock equipped newer T@B.

lhedrick said:
    When I look under my 2008 TAB the frame is not much more then heavy grade sheet metal bent in to a  channel tapered toward the front and rear.   . . .   I may need to just dump the entire frame and start from scratch.  Weld up a new frame and attach it to the TAB body. 

For me if an AL-Ko Frame compatible pitched axle is not available I'd be looking at replacing the entire T@B.  Someone out there would love your standard clearance unit and you could just buy the unit you really need . . . new or used.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    . . . 2008 T@B with an Al-Ko frame. There "may" be a larger axle available from Al-Ko with a higher weight limit and possibly higher pitch.  . . .

As far as the surge brakes, no chance to go to electric there.
    Install the axle, wire the brakes, maybe weld the surge 'slip' section of the tongue to a fixed position.  But having the 'surge section' active shouldn't matter as the electric brakes would be pulling the TV and T@B apart.

I honestly don't know why. I guess I'm thinking plug and play compatibility. A larger pitched Al-Ko axle that is designed for that particular Al-Ko frame would be surge brakes. Re-engineering something would probably be possible. I'm pretty good at replacing same for same, but designing something is not my forte.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,597

. . . A larger pitched Al-Ko axle that is designed for that particular Al-Ko frame would be surge brakes. . , ,

Believe the only parameter of an axle 'designed for a frame' is the distance between the wheels which is something you tell Al-Ko when ordering an axle.  The axle to trailer mounting brackets all appear to be the same two styles.  Which makes sense so they can compete for sales.  Al-Ko has many axle options that can be ordered with Surge or Electric Brakes.

Changing an axle out might be a bit bigger project than I'm comfortable with but it seems the parts can be obtained.

Al-Ko Catalog, attached (unknown date), U-19 and U-29 looks like possible replacements

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Well, I don't see the electric break being that difficult.  That would be just finding a hub then locking down the sliding coupling unit up at the ball.

As for why, my wife bought this trailer from one of her friends who wanted something larger.  My wife like most who see these T@Bs was caught up in "how cute it is".  She never looked at the axels or any of the technical stuff.   I got to install the hitch and wiring on her Toyota Highlander.  It' in good shape and we both like it.  It's just a bit soft for some of the places we often go.   For me, any place I can haul a camper near paved roads is a place I usually don't want to be.  In the past we went to remote places in UT, CO, WY in our truck and used a tent.  There really were better option for our use but we have it now.  

For me building a frame from scratch is not a big deal.  I have welded up more then one trailer.   The T@B also creates another issue in that I like to take my motor cycle along on trips with the trailer.  This one is going to take additional thought.  I have a Versahaul system which holds the bike and extends the receiver back for a trailer.  But the tab tongue weigh is a bit more then when I haul my drift boat.  I will get it all sorted out and make it all work.  Nothing a bit of welding can't fix.

I just posted here to see what others may have done.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    @lhedrick, just a thought since it sounds like you are a relatively new owner. If you undertake the axle - a big job - consider taking a look at your flooring.  Dutchman Tabs of this vintage have suffered soft floors from water and the wood used as a base.  A number of Tab owners on this forum and the Yahoo group have replaced the entire floor themselves or via nuCamp repair dept.  I know you said your Tab is in good shape - just wanted to prevent any misgivings.  Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Sam thank you for the floor information.  Utah is a very dry place so we might get lucky on that one.  Next time I get under it I will poke around and check it out.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting the Al-Ko catalog PDF.  I seem to have heard that Dexter axel acquired Al-Ko.
    Al-Ko Catalog, attached (unknown date), U-19 and U-29 looks like possible replacements

• Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Do you have a utility trailer shop around you town or city? They might be able to suggest something.

i do not own a T@B, but an outback T@G with the pitch axle.  And it is way to stiff for wash board driving, let alone off road.  Even a less that walking speed, it will bounce even with road bumps and roxks.  I will be doing a air ride swap (think air bags).  i know someone here made a dexter axle less swap on a T@G.  Do not know how it turned out.  But I know for sure that a cross member has to be put in place of the axle assembly that also act as a cross member.

in my case, I will have to built a frame insert that will be bolted to the frame, beacause of the trailing arm set-up.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC