Options

Norcold 3-way fridge in 2007 T@B

RaybroRaybro Member Posts: 11

We have a 2007 T@B with a Norcold three way fridge. "Seems" to work fine on propane or 110v.
IF, the trailer is unplugged from a 110v source, and I have an  interior sconce light turned on, If I switch the fridge on to 12v, the interior light goes out, ( as in no 12v power ), if I now plug in the 110V with the fridge still on 12v, the convertor fan comes on, like the convertor is working very hard to keep up with the 12v draw.
If I am unplugged, when I turn the fridge on and the lights go out, if I turn the fridge off I get no lights until I plug in again.
It sounds to me like the fridge is drawing way, way, too much on 12v and the convertor shuts off the circuit for self preservation.

Has anyone run into this before? Is the fridge truly hooped?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    The 3 ways on 12v are notorious for their heavy draw.  I am not familiar with the differences in converters used in the 2007 vs current models.  I do know that it is recommended to turn off everything before connecting or disconnecting power to avoid surges and blown fuses.  The current manual recommends not turning on 12v until you have connected your 7 pin and your TV is running and to turn off your frig before turning off your TV to avoid battery drain.  So, the 12v is strictly used during transport and even then many Tabbers have reported problems with adequate cooling and/or battery drain.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RaybroRaybro Member Posts: 11
    Thank you for the reply Sam. I did notice that the battery voltage drop after just a few minutes was significant.
    I strongly suspect that the fridge is drawing way more than it should. We'll work around it for now. Thanks again.
  • Options
    @Raybro, part of the issue is that while on 12v, there is only 1 temperature set point (I understand no thermostat control).  The discussion linked may be helpful.  Also, search Norcold wiring.  

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/71750#Comment_71750
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    You might have your battery tested if you haven't done that.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Rokko16vRokko16v Member Posts: 14
    We experienced similar problems with our 2009 T@B. When you measure current, the fridge only draws about 1.5 amps on AC mode. However in 12V mode it draws nearly 15 amps! (According to the repair manual, I have not verified actual values). Of course it works the best on 120V or Lp. I guess the 12V mode is when you are towing?
    2009 T@B
  • Options
    Yes, the 12v mode is used during towing.  Best to reduce your voltage loss from the alternator by using 8 - 10 gauge wire for your charge line and it is important to have an adequate alternator  - both of these go a long way to keeping your frig cold and your Tab battery charged.