Options

Dumb ? Question?

I'm about to dewinterize. When I flush the system...where am I putting the bleach/water then water in? The regular water slot? Or should I connect hose?down the sink or shower?

SHould I just leave the grey water pipe open?

2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited July 2018
    There may be a video or detailed steps on this forum somewhere already.  The search feature is great!  And the moderators keep everything organized.

But I'd finish dewinterizing first before adding bleach...  to clear out any antifreeze.  The winterization / dewinterization valve positions are found elsewhere on this forum as well. 

So it sounds like you already drained the freshwater (FW) tank.  You can hook a hose to the screw in port on the driver's front side (like campsite provided water) and use that city water to run water through all faucets, toilets, shower heads, outdoor showers.  Run both cold and hot water tabs to get all the lines clear of any leftover antifreeze.  There's probably no pink antifreeze fluid in the FW tank.

At this point to can fill the FW tank with a bleach / water blend.  I think it's a quarter or half cup to ten gallons, so you can use a bucket to pour that much mixture into that upper port that rotates open. Or you can put a stronger bleach solution in the tank and then fill the remaining 9-10 gallons by slowly filling that FW tank port (not the screw in one) with a hose.

Next run the water pump if level to build up pressure. The pump should shut off in under a minute.  Run each tap and the toilet till you smell bleach.  Then fill up the FW tank with another couple gallons to make up for the stuff you've put in the lines.

[Edit:  See Sharon_Is_SAM's important point below] 

Wait 12 hours.  Some folks take the RV for a ride to slosh the bleach water around in the tank. 

With the water pump off, use the low point FW drain near the stairs, and drain that tank of bleach water.  It takes a while.  Close the valve and fill the FW tank with fresh water.  Water pump back on and run the clean water through all the lines to get rid of 95% of the bleach.

Some folks repeat that step a couple times to get rid of 99.99% of the bleach.  Others use an air compressor to blow the whole system dry and then fill with fresh water only one more time.

Congrats...   you're dewinterized and sanitized.

Gurus:  Please add on everything I missed.  I'm typing during dinner when I'm not supposed to. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    To your last question, if this is a brand new T@B and toilet has absolutely never been used, you can leave the black and gray valves open.  Or you can wait until black or gray tanks report mostly full and dump them just once.  It black tank has ever been used, dump only in a legal dump site.  And your municipality may or may not have restrictions on dumping diluted bleach water to the ground or city drainage system. If restricted, dump gray tank into legal dump site too. 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Elk, you are sanitizing your fresh water tank (and plumbing lines), so that is where you add the 1/4 cup of bleach in a gallon of water, then fill the tank up with more water.  Make sure to use the Alde bypass to prevent getting bleach in your Alde tank.  After running the solution through your plumbing (except the Alde), a few hours dwelling of the bleach water is fine.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Oops...  I knew I shouldn't have typed so fast.  Absolutely right of course, some of the metal in the Alde heater doesn't appreciate corrosive bleach at any significant strength for very long, and certainly not repeatedly. Just hit the find icon, type "bleach", and you'll get dozens of good threads on how to sanitize.  As a little kid, I got stuck doing a lot of these chores on travel trailers starting back in the 60s.  They told me it builds character. 

• Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    thank you all
    2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70.