Options

Anti Rust On Nose Gear Strut?

Can anyone suggest a treatment for the nose gear strut to stop it from rusting?  This picture shows the strut after only 20 outings.  Bigger RVs have beautiful aluminum landing gear and levelling struts that always look great.  I'm about to try tremclad rust paint but suspect that I'll have to keep redoing it.  (My wife says that the only way to keep an RV looking new is to leave it in the show room.)  Any miracle chemicals or proceses out there?

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I spray ours down with Boeshield T-9, coupler and all.  You could also try Por-15 although that's a bit more work.   I used Por-15 on the truck hitch as I was getting some corrosion.  It's a 3 part system, metal cleaner, then the Por-15 and then a topcoat.   Not sure the jack strut is worth the cost of Por 15, they're pretty cheap to replace.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    db_cooper said:
    I spray ours down with Boeshield T-9, coupler and all.  You could also try Por-15 although that's a bit more work.   I used Por-15 on the truck hitch as I was getting some corrosion.  It's a 3 part system, metal cleaner, then the Por-15 and then a topcoat.   Not sure the jack strut is worth the cost of Por 15, they're pretty cheap to replace.
    Por-15 would just get scratched the same way, right?

A light oil / lubricant / anti-corrosion spray seems to be the best option.  T-9 being one of the better products.

I used some Rust Check Coat & Protect inside the jack wheel pocket, where water would pool, and was causing severe rusting.  I noticed the product crept up the jack post a bit.  I think a light coating of it, or a similar product would be fine for the jack post. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    BarryBarry Member Posts: 11
    Thanks, folks, I picked up some T-9 and will give it a go.  Cheers and safe trips.
  • Options
    LittleBoyBlueLittleBoyBlue Member Posts: 22
    There's a product I've used for years on my boats that "kills" rust by converting it to phosphate compound and it will not rust again (it turns the rust black).  West Marine has an equivalent product but the name brand is Ospho 605 Metal Treatment. It doesn't take much.
    Mike & Sara Ross - Panama City, Florida - mrosspc@gmail.com - 2015 Toyota Sienna - Little Boy Blue - 2018 T@B S