CoolCat AC on a TAB T16 2007

Hello,
I bought 2 days ago a new T@B Dutchmen T16 2007 never used before. It was stored in a heated garage for 11 years. 

I was surprised that there's no cover included for the CoolCat AC when we're on the road. Is it normal ? Has anyone had bad experience with water infiltration or made some modification to protect their unit. 

Also, I'm new to owning a trailer. Feel free to give me any advice for my T@B 2007.

Thank you! 

Alex Leblanc
T@B Newbie
Québec, Canada

Comments

• rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited August 2018
    Many folks with the DM T@Bs made covers for the AC opening.  The enclosure should be weather tight without any additional cover but, like you, many felt wind blown rain and spray from other vehicles was a potential problem.

There are several suggestions and examples in the files and photos of the Yahoo T@B forum.  A very good resource for the DM T@Bs in general.

Congratulations - what a wonderful find!
    Have fun!
    Bob

• photoalexphotoalex Member Posts: 7
    rfuss928 It's a great idea. I'll probably end up making one this fall in plexi-glass.
    Alex Leblanc
    T@B Newbie
    Québec, Canada
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Wow, lucky you!  Take some pictures and share, please.  You will find more info on Dutchman Tabs in the Yahoo group, but you still came to a great place to learn about the Tab.  Take a look through the categories on the left of the page (if you are on a tablet or phone, turn it sideways to locate the Category column).  Make use of the Search box at the top.  The list of hits that come up also include pictures.  Another method of searching for info is:

site:tab-rv.vanillaforums.com  

So if searching for Dutchman tabs:   Dutchman:tab-rv.vanillaforums.com

Welcome and good luck!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have a 2007 Dutchmen Clamshell and like many others, I made a plexiglass cover for my CoolCat vent also. Just make sure to take it off before cranking up the CoolCat!!

I also saw someone that made a cover that was on a hinge on the top with a latch to hold it up, and they somehow wired it so that CoolCat would not come on unless the cover was flipped up.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    A couple of other newbie tips for a Dutchmen.

Never, ever, ever, drive with the brake handle up.

You need to replace the tires right away. Even though never used they are 11 years old. They are low profile car tires.

Get a bungee cord and loop it around the center post and hook it to the jockey wheel for travel.

Get a standard automotive grease gun and add grease to the surge brake mechanism. It's been sitting for 11 years. The grease gun "nipples" are under the tongue.

Lower the table for travel.

Keep the shades and screens open for travel. The little tabs that hold them closed are fragile and can fly up and break on the road.

Get a water pressure reducer for your fresh water hose (if you have a city water connection)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
    For your entrance step, get an aluminum "Safety Step" www.safetystep.net. It is the most lightweight stable step around.  

Many of us use a BAL tire leveler for leveling side to side.

Also NuCamp keeps in stock for us Dutchmen owners the following parts unique to our frames:

Sealed bearings, brakes, jockey wheel parts, door handle parts, corner steady parts (stabilizers).

Another thing you might want to get is a set of shocks.   You need the green ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AL-KO-shock-absorbers-OCTAGON-green/312189737954?epid=1050151315&hash=item48aff55be2:g:5ZsAAOSwrTVbSzfQ&_sacat=0&_nkw=Al-Ko+Green+Shocks&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Mouseketab, wow, Carol, that list is great!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    edited September 2019
    Carol - our designated Dutchman Pro!  We don’t need no Yahoo group!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • photoalexphotoalex Member Posts: 7
    @Mouseketab Thank you Carol for all this information. It's very much appreciated.
    I already changed the propane tank, the battery, the smoke and Carbon monoxide detector and I only owned it for 4 days. 

I'll certainly make a cover this Fall for my CoolCat AC but I'll just leave it like that for now to enjoy the T@B this summer.  I don't have direct water entrance right now, it's one of the options I'm looking to add this Fall. Since my water tank is down the cabinet, I'm also trying to find a way to be able to fill the tank without having to empty my closet to remove the tank each time. It's only 5 gallons... 

My T@B came with a sound system which sounds terrible. I'm debating if I should just replace the speakers that are under the back of the storage compartment with better ones, or reposition them above the cabinet lights, however with smaller speakers. 

Finally, I'll need to add new silicone around some parts of the T@B. Do you know what brand and where I could find the exact same color as I have right now (gray). 

Last question, how many "nipples" are under the tongue for greasing the surge brakes? I located two of them, am I correct? 

Thank you again for your help,

Alex Leblanc
    T@B Newbie
    Québec, Canada
    Yes, two nipples

As far as the sound system. My T@B came with an undermount TV hooked into the speakers and 12V. That did sound terrible. I replaced the undermount TV with a newer undermount TV (digital), and seperated it from the speakers and 12V. It just plugs into 110. I then installed a car stereo (AM/FM/XM/CD) in the space above the closet using the speaker wires, 12V and antenna connection. It sounds a bit better and the TV even on it's own small speakers sounds 100% better. Replacing the speakers is and has been on my list, but it hasn't been a really high priority.

I can imagine the 5 gallon tank is a pain under the closet. I have a clamshell so the tank is in a kitchen cabinet. My T@B is a very late 2007, so it does have a city water connection.

Sorry, I can't advise on the silicone. My trailer is white, so I've used clear or white silicone for any resealing.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    One of the best modifications I made early on was replacing the removable 5 gallon jug with a permanent 11 gallon tank and outside fill port.   MIne is in a CS but I have seen posts of the same done to inside kitchen models.

Have fun!
    Bob