Options

Zamp Solar

Our Tab Maxx S is due to arrive in May. We would like to use if for some off-grid in 2-6 night trips.   If we limit our DC use to the water pump, lights, fan and phone/tablet charging, and use propane for the frig, hot water/heating and cooking.  Would the Zamp 80 watt system supply our power needs?  A generator is not an option.

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    We have the Zamp 80 watt for our 2014/15 Maxx S. The problem I've found is that we like to camp in the shade (we live in the Southwest), which poses a problem for solar.  I bought an extension cord for the Zamp, but I worry about it getting take (I bring a lock & cqble for that), I still have to move it around to follow the sun, and I'm not sure how much voltage drop I'm taking with that extension cord. I traded in my (new) group 27 56Ah battery for a group 27 80Ah AGM; I still may go for the two golf cart batteries.  We've boondocked for 3 days with no problem.  We also carry a spare battery that we already had, one of those heavy jump atart things from Sears.  

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I have the 120 so can't say whether an 80 would do but if I have sun (or even thin overcast) I can run and charge everything just fine. The only time I take out the generator is solid overcast or rainy days.
    I don't have a heavy duty battery, just a 24 - dealer didn't install what I wanted - and I still do ok.
    Like DurangoTaB I like some shade but when choosing my site, I'm always thinking about sun position/access throughout the day. In heavy shade it probably doesn't matter the watts you have other than in battery storage. That's where I'd pull out the generator again.
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    PXLated, because of your comments, I am seriously considering the Zamp 120W.  I boondocks camp entirely, never in a campground.  With the Zamp and a spare battery, I may be able to put offa generator purchase.  I don't use a/c.
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I'm leaning in that direction too.   That setup and size seems to be about right for those of us who want a plug and play system and whose usage requirements are not very high.   Has someone found the best price currently for the Zamp 120 system?
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    If you are frugal with your electrical usage, the 80 watt system might supply your needs.  The big variable on your list would be fan usage.  I found that I could boondock indefinitely with the 80 watt setup, but I had to be really thrifty with power.  I'd use the fan very sparingly.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I agree that I could probably get by with the 80w.  In the past, i have boondocked with one battery only; no solar, no generator back up.. But the price for the 120w wasn't that much greater than the 80w, and it is hard to predict future needs.
  • Options
    That fan is just a killer - Never use it unless I've got good solar.
  • Options
    @PXLated, you might want to consider upgrading your fan to the 7350.  The standard issue fans use 1.86-3 amps of power depending on speed.  The 7350 not only has a thermostat, variable speed and rain sensor, but also uses only .2-1.9 amps.  Something to think about!  They made it easy to upgrade by providing a kit where you just swap out the guts of the fan.  I had a Northern Breeze fan in my T@DA, so I had to completely remove that one to go to the upgraded Fan-Tastic fan.  Still worth it for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Vent-Upgrade-Model-7350/dp/B0027XIFA0
  • Options
    Cool - Tanks for the info Lisa
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Lisa33 said:
    @PXLated, you might want to consider upgrading your fan to the 7350.  The standard issue fans use 1.86-3 amps of power depending on speed.  The 7350 not only has a thermostat, variable speed and rain sensor, but also uses only .2-1.9 amps.  Something to think about!  They made it easy to upgrade by providing a kit where you just swap out the guts of the fan.  I had a Northern Breeze fan in my T@DA, so I had to completely remove that one to go to the upgraded Fan-Tastic fan.  Still worth it for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Vent-Upgrade-Model-7350/dp/B0027XIFA0
    This is extremely useful information! Thanks, Lisa!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Looks like I may have given some bad info.  Someone on the LG board called Fantastic Vent and the upgrade kit does not lower your amp draw.  You'd need to replace the entire fan with the 7350 model, which is what I did since I was starting with a Northern Breeze fan.  
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Thanks, Lisa. Does anyone know which model is in the LG T@bs? My info is all in my T@b, which is still at the factory.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014